Biz Markie on Juan Epstein

Theodore_RucksTheodore_Rucks 105 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
Dope episode. Biz talks about his early days with Kane, his dj style, Yo Gabba Gabba, etc. He also touches on the Mardi Gras pressing... http://www.rosenbergradio.com/2012/06/11/juan-ep-100-biz-markie/

Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    It makes no sense to me why he wouldn't just post a twitter pic of it or something. I call bullshit, but why he would be lying about it so much? Like even describing it. Pathological liar? It's real?

I don't even care about the existence of the record. It's more about whether or not he's playing a long joke, a liar, or just a weird hoarder.

He's funny though and has cool stories.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    he refers to it as a 'test pressing'. i could listen to biz tell stories all day. rosenberg is still corn.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    It makes no sense to me why he wouldn't just post a twitter pic of it or something. I call bullshit, but why he would be lying about it so much? Like even describing it. Pathological liar? It's real?

I don't even care about the existence of the record. It's more about whether or not he's playing a long joke, a liar, or just a weird hoarder.

It's just a massively successful, extremely drawn-out trolling.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    rosenberg is still corn.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Dope podcast. Love listening to the Biz talk and tell stories. He seems a bit defensive about Marley Marl's involvement/ghostwriting which took me a bit by surprise.

I laughed out loud when Cipha calls Rosenberg out about praising Biz so much and sounding weak/homo/whatever. I agree with Rosenberg that we don't often pay tribute to legends until they're gone. But it was funny how Ciph was just like "maaaaaan see this is what the competition is talking about when they say you're soft!"

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

There is this you tube video (really audio which I'm assuming has been discussed), with Biz playing his test pressing. Could be fake but sounds real. Had to tell if it's the same as the master tape posted here as it's low quality and a short beat juggle.

I don't see why Biz owes it to anyone to tweet a pic of the record just to make a bunch of online haters happy. Biz does his own thing, could care less and has better things to do. Not to mention that's it's probably just a white label that says Test Pressing and maybe Bob James in pencil.

Plus the recent master tape find shows that their is something out there that could have been test pressed for a TV show or even just by an engineer or producer.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Mardi Gras w/o the bells = the collectro version of birthers.

Even if there was proof, it wouldn't be accepted as proof.

Not that I think this thing exists either but seriously, at this point, there's a contingent that's so insistent this thing does not exist, there's no possible way they'll ever believe it does.

mannybolone said:

Not that I think this thing exists either but seriously, at this point, there's a contingent that's so insistent this thing does not exist, there's no possible way they'll ever believe it does.

I'm assuming that's why Raj closed the Got It thread. I don't see how you can deny a video of a master tape being played with a version that you could not create just by panning the OG or even the Italian juke box copy. But like you said it's the same as birthers. Admittedly the birthers are just racist, I guess the "only bells' camp are just Bizhaters.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    volumen said:
    mannybolone said:

I'm assuming that's why Raj closed the Got It thread. I don't see how you can deny a video of a master tape being played with a version that you could not create just by panning the OG or even the Italian juke box copy. But like you said it's the same as birthers. Admittedly the birthers are just racist, I guess the "only bells' camp are just Bizhaters.

Someone used Roland's R-Mix on the track, the filtering is obvious.

spc said:
    volumen said:
    mannybolone said:

Someone used Roland's R-Mix on the track, the filtering is obvious.

Then make us an example of how easy it is. It's amazing how people make these claims but in all the years of the no bells talk no one has ever made an example of how you can filter out the bells completely. There gone, gone dude. Filtering doesn't eliminate main parts of the tracks. A lot of the keys are gone too. How do you do that and still keep the other parts clear and loud? Just pop it into you R-Mix and make us an example.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I don't have R-Mix but I tried a bit with photosounder. I didn't get any positive result yet but I still believe my ears and I can clearly hear the filtering and the artefacts.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    http://wtrns.fr/MHq0aUt13O88waw

In one file I tried to elimiate all the bells, in the other one only the first two bell hits.

(This was my source since I'am at work and have no access to my vinyl: )

• spcspc 534 Posts
    This is what the developer from Photosounder wrote me:

Some guys at some forum three years ago went nuts when I told them of Photosounder and what it could do and they were like "omg mardi gras no bells holy grail!". I don't recall any one of them actually bothering to try removing the bells though. I seem to recall that I gave it a quick try and it seemed easy enough, but it didn't seem like enough of an impressive challenge so I wasn't so interested in doing it. I never understood the fascination for it though, I mean sure it's a cool sample, but if it's just the drums you want why not just ask a drummer to play the same pattern... Anyhow you can remove pretty much anything if you know what you're doing, see what I did with the Funky Worm sample for instance, but that took a long time to do. A rhodes piano is the same type of challenge, perhaps simpler even.

• undrealundreal 29 Posts
    What the heck is The Biz talking about with that Humphrey Bogart record he mentioned? I cannot find any info about it...sounds interesting.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    undreal said:
    What the heck is The Biz talking about with that Humphrey Bogart record he mentioned? I cannot find any info about it...sounds interesting.

considered one of the rarest albums ever. All were essentially recalled before release
    http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=140095632414

additional info from Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Caine_Mutiny_(film)
    The original soundtrack album for The Caine Mutiny was never actually officially released, and hence it is one of the rarest in existence; perhaps a dozen copies survive. RCA Records planned an LP release with musical excerpts on the first side and the complete dialogue of the climactic court-martial scene on side two. But Herman Wouk felt that including this scene was an infringement on his recently opened Broadway play dealing with the court-martial, and he threatened to prohibit Columbia Pictures from making any further adaptations of his work. According to Wouk, "[Columbia head Harry] Cohn looked into the matter, called me back, and said in his tough gravelly voice, 'I've got you beat on the legalities, but I've listened to the record and it's no goddamn good, so I'm yanking it.'"

$6000 for the rarest record of all time?

Record nerds are pussies.