Can - Lost Tapes box set preview

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central

Comments

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/73472/

It's a shame they don't release it on vinyl

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    finelikewine said:

I've heard that they are planning to later this year.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    finelikewine said:

I've heard that they are planning to later this year.

yes. http://dublab.com/irmin-schmidt-interviewed-by-john-payne-04-22-12/

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Happy Birthday to me!!!

An excerpt taken from The Quietus article:

Fifteen, twenty years ago, it would have been natural to respond to The Lost Tapes not just with astounded applause but with a rather lofty prescription: any group could learn a lot from close, repeated listening. It's still true, of course, but in 2012 it seems a bit out of touch. In many ways Can - whose name so clearly dates them to a time before the internet search - were not like us, sat here with conflicting histories of everything, isolated by choice and by the new demands of our miserable lives. Living and working together was the point; the strengths of five individuals merged to create something greater, something uncontainable.

It's maybe a bit na??ve to think that this ideal - the band as a cell, decrypting codes and forcing doors, not so much jamming as un-jamming - could be recaptured, here and now. These days, with the creation and, to a great extent, the consumption of music reflecting the conditions of late capitalism - atomisation, anomie - Can's collective action feels like a nagging dream, something drifting in from another time, from the long-forgotten fringes of the libertarian Left. The communal, the collective, the sense of musicians as cogs in a machine... it's barely a factor in rock music now, let alone the avant-garde. Everyone's too busy, or else intent on expressing their own worldview, their own confusion, their own longing for something beyond their own problems, their own self.

It used to be different, like a lot of other things. From 1968 to 1975, the period covered by The Lost Tapes, synergy between musicians was revered as popular music's basic source of power. This encouraged a certain snobbishness, of course, prioritising technique over content and giving a free pass to a great deal of rot - the loosening of entry requirements for pop, when it happened, was long overdue and quickly rewarded. But this is irrelevant to Can, who were always beyond the showy stuff, working as they were towards a somewhat higher goal. There was rarely room in their music for anything so crass as an extended solo; the explorations here were conducted as a team, each member dependent on the others. The subtlety and grace with which they avoided (or inverted) boredom on all those long trips out there and back is still unrivalled, the fluency and invention of their ensemble playing often uncanny. This much, lots of us know already - The Lost Tapes confirms it, over and over.

Can's spontaneous, co-operative creativity hasn't been weakened by time or by anything else; the music here sounds somehow even more potent, having outlasted all the cultural currents which carried it in. It sounds almost revolutionary again. Something unburdened by the self, or by self-consciousness; free of the past and the present.

continued...

- spidey

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    Happy Birthday to me!!!

An excerpt taken from The Quietus article:

Fifteen, twenty years ago, it would have been natural to respond to The Lost Tapes not just with astounded applause but with a rather lofty prescription: any group could learn a lot from close, repeated listening. It's still true, of course, but in 2012 it seems a bit out of touch. In many ways Can - whose name so clearly dates them to a time before the internet search - were not like us, sat here with conflicting histories of everything, isolated by choice and by the new demands of our miserable lives. Living and working together was the point; the strengths of five individuals merged to create something greater, something uncontainable.

It's maybe a bit na??ve to think that this ideal - the band as a cell, decrypting codes and forcing doors, not so much jamming as un-jamming - could be recaptured, here and now. These days, with the creation and, to a great extent, the consumption of music reflecting the conditions of late capitalism - atomisation, anomie - Can's collective action feels like a nagging dream, something drifting in from another time, from the long-forgotten fringes of the libertarian Left. The communal, the collective, the sense of musicians as cogs in a machine... it's barely a factor in rock music now, let alone the avant-garde. Everyone's too busy, or else intent on expressing their own worldview, their own confusion, their own longing for something beyond their own problems, their own self.

It used to be different, like a lot of other things. From 1968 to 1975, the period covered by The Lost Tapes, synergy between musicians was revered as popular music's basic source of power. This encouraged a certain snobbishness, of course, prioritising technique over content and giving a free pass to a great deal of rot - the loosening of entry requirements for pop, when it happened, was long overdue and quickly rewarded. But this is irrelevant to Can, who were always beyond the showy stuff, working as they were towards a somewhat higher goal. There was rarely room in their music for anything so crass as an extended solo; the explorations here were conducted as a team, each member dependent on the others. The subtlety and grace with which they avoided (or inverted) boredom on all those long trips out there and back is still unrivalled, the fluency and invention of their ensemble playing often uncanny. This much, lots of us know already - The Lost Tapes confirms it, over and over.

Can's spontaneous, co-operative creativity hasn't been weakened by time or by anything else; the music here sounds somehow even more potent, having outlasted all the cultural currents which carried it in. It sounds almost revolutionary again. Something unburdened by the self, or by self-consciousness; free of the past and the present.

continued...

- spidey

What a great article, that's what I call proper music journalism. Thanks for sharing. The songs in theat youtube clip is absolutly mind blowing. Thanks for sharing. I absolutly NEED this.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    The songs in theat youtube clip is absolutly mind blowing. Thanks for sharing. I absolutly NEED this.

That is a collection of cues that was used for an episode of "Tatort" called "Tote Taube in der Beethovenstra??e" (tote taube == "Dead Pigeon" for the non-german speaking). I've played this direct-from-video mp3 to death (actually a great listen in itself, with dialogue and sfx):

http://siemers.podspot.de/post/io099-can-tote-taube-in-der-beethovenstrasse-the-vitamin-c-variations-1973/

It's basically variations on "Vitamin C" (as indicated by the above URL). Killer indeed. It was a nice surprise to see the proper studio recordings included on this box set. Which is generally great and recommended to all. Way way better than the stuff on all those dodgy boots that have been appearing over the years.

G, you'll be dissapointed if you're looking for stuff like "I Want More", which I know you for some strange reason was hoping for :lol:

Had to sip the blog juice for now, because money is tight due to a recent family addition. Ordering this as soon as possible, though. Hopefully the vinyl will be ready by then.

Belated congrats, Spidey. Nice birthday present.

m_dejean said:
    finelikewine said:
    The songs in theat youtube clip is absolutly mind blowing. Thanks for sharing. I absolutly NEED this.

That is a collection of cues that was used for an episode of "Tatort" called "Tote Taube in der Beethovenstra??e" (tote taube == "Dead Pigeon" for the non-german speaking). I've played this direct-from-video mp3 to death (actually a great listen in itself, with dialogue and sfx):

http://siemers.podspot.de/post/io099-can-tote-taube-in-der-beethovenstrasse-the-vitamin-c-variations-1973/

It's basically variations on "Vitamin C" (as indicated by the above URL). Killer indeed. It was a nice surprise to see the proper studio recordings included on this box set. Which is generally great and recommended to all. Way way better than the stuff on all those dodgy boots that have been appearing over the years.

G, you'll be dissapointed if you're looking for stuff like "I Want More", which I know you for some strange reason was hoping for :lol:

Had to sip the blog juice for now, because money is tight due to a recent family addition. Ordering this as soon as possible, though. Hopefully the vinyl will be ready by then.

Congratulations for your family addition, M*****! It sounds like you're doing well
    I'm one of the few people who realy like the later can stuff for some reason and I want more is a classic in my book.
    That vitamin C variation is begging for some kind of balearic/ deep house remix. If nobody will do it, I'll have to.
    The James Brown like grunts are so awesome in it, I always wished something like this would exist.

M, is that your blog you linked above?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

:woah:

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    finelikewine said:

M, is that your blog you linked above?

Nope.

finelikewine said:
    Congratulations for your family addition, M*****! It sounds like you're doing well

Thanks!

finelikewine said:
    I'm one of the few people who realy like the later can stuff for some reason and I want more is a classic in my book.

I'm actually not that mad at it either, I was just kidding. No Can Taliban here :lol:. There is a track on the box set which must be from this period (sounds like Rosko Gee on bass) called "Barnacles" which is as close to jazz-fooonk as I think they would get. Kind of like that '77 TV performance of "Dizzy Dizzy" that's on the Can DVD.

I like "smooth" Can when it works, but I know a lot of their fans hate this sound.

finelikewine said:

Yes, that one is heavy. That's the "Spoon" mutation that they're playing at the beginning of the "K??ln Free Concert" film. More insistent, aggro feel to it.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    m_dejean said:
    finelikewine said:

Saludos Amigos,

Thanks for those Vitamin C - Variations.

- spidey

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Anyone know when this will be released on vinyl? I'm jonesing. Hard.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

Seems they've been waffling on whether they'll do it or not.

Last I checked it was in limbo.

EDIT:

From the comments section of this article:

http://www.whathifi.com/blog/review-can-???-the-lost-tapes

"I emailed Mute and they replied saying:

"It has not been released on vinyl. We are hoping to do so in the future but there are no firm plans just yet.
    thanks
    Mute"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Seems they've been waffling on whether they'll do it or not.

Last I checked it was in limbo.

EDIT:

From the comments section of this article:

http://www.whathifi.com/blog/review-can-???-the-lost-tapes

"I emailed Mute and they replied saying:

"It has not been released on vinyl. We are hoping to do so in the future but there are no firm plans just yet.
    thanks
    Mute"

Bummer. I'm really enjoying it in the iPod, but it would sound a lot better in my living room.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    this is a good band.