Seattle (What's really real?)

discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
Going to be in Sea-Town very soon with the lady and looking for recommendations on your typical stuff: where to eat, museums / art, best parts of town to stay, any Strut-approved DJ nights (Salsa, raps) , etc

Also interested in camping-spot recommendations on the Olympic Peninsula.

Thanks! Can't wait to go.
«1

  Comments


  • Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    You just missed a GREAT record show this past Saturday. The Big Dig. What are the dates you will be here? What kind of food do you want to eat? Do you drink? I would stay someplace downtown if I were you. Are you going to have a car? Can't help with the camping part. I don't leave the city much.

  • discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    You just missed a GREAT record show this past Saturday. The Big Dig. What are the dates you will be here? What kind of food do you want to eat? Do you drink? I would stay someplace downtown if I were you. Are you going to have a car? Can't help with the camping part. I don't leave the city much.

    Bummed I missed the record swap, heard it was great. Mostly looking for food recommendations. I heard Paseo on Fremont is the joint. What else would you suggest, Chan? Especially of the Thai or Asian variety?

  • Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Paseo is THE TRUTH! I'll post a big list of Asian food spots for you later tonight or tomorrow.

  • Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    All of these spots are in the Chinatown area on the edge of downtown.

    Best sushi/Japanese food: Go see my homie Shota at Tsukushinbo. GREAT small family run place. Just like eating in Japan when I used to live in Tokyo. There is no sign on the restaurant. Go early if you go Friday or Saturday night. It will be packed. They open at 5:30PM. Closed on Sunday. I just ate there last night and will be there for lunch tomorrow. My favorite restaurant in Seattle.

    Tsukushinbo
    515 S Main St
    Seattle, WA 98104
    (206) 467-4004

    Vietnamese/Chinese noodles: Go see my homie Huy at Hue Ky Mi Gia. Excellent noodle soups, fried noodles, chicken wings, etc.

    Hue Ky Mi Gia
    1207 S Jackson St
    Seattle, WA 98144
    (206) 568-1268

    Pho So 1 is in the same mall as Hue Ky Mi Gia. The Pho there is the best in Seattle.

    Pho So 1
    1207 S Jackson St
    Seattle, WA 98144
    (206) 860-2824

    Japanese Izakaya or Kissaten go to Maekawa Bar and Fort St. George. They are on the same floor of the building:

    Maekawa Bar
    601 S King St
    Seattle, WA 98104
    (206) 622-0634

    Fort St. George
    601 S King St
    Seattle, WA 98104
    (206) 382-0662

    For real late night Chinese food go to Sea Garden:

    Sea Garden
    509 7th Ave S
    Seattle, WA 98104
    (206) 623-2100

    For Dim Sum hit Jade Garden or Harbor City:

    Jade Garden
    424 7th Ave S
    Seattle, WA 98104
    (206) 622-8181

    Harbor City
    707 S King St
    Seattle, WA 98104
    (206) 621-2228

    Vietnamese:

    Green Leaf
    418 8th Ave S
    Seattle, WA 98104
    (206) 340-1388

    Vietnam House
    1038 S Jackson St
    Seattle, WA 98104
    (206) 325-0180



    Don't go to any Asian fusion places like Wild Ginger, Tamarind Tree, Ba Bar, Long Provincial, Japonessa, etc... They are all fakin' the funk.

    If you are in the Ballard area Ocho has very good drinks and tapas and is open late. La Carta de Oaxaca is the spot for Mexican food.

    Ocho
    2325 NW Market St
    Seattle, WA 98107
    (206) 784-0699

    La Carta de Oaxaca
    5431 Ballard Ave NW
    Seattle, WA 98107
    (206) 782-8722

  • Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Hit Jive Time and Bop Street for records. Jive Time is right down the street from Paseo.

    Jive Time
    3506 Fremont Ave N
    Seattle, WA 98103
    (206) 632-5483

    Bop Street
    2220 NW Market St
    Seattle, WA 98107
    (206) 297-2232

  • Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Big ups, Big Chan. I live in Spokane, and plan on hitting Seatown a few times this Summer, myself. That restaurant list is soooooo helpful.

  • edulusedulus 421 Posts
    good looks, I am going to be up there for a wedding in August.

  • CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
    "La Isla" in Ballard area of Seattle has great Puerto Rican food. Definitely check that place out!

    La Isla
    2320 Northwest Market Street


    Also, seconded on the Bop Street Records and Jive Time Records in Fremont. I used to find decent stuff at Easy Street Records in Queen Anne, but that place has seemed to have gone downhill over the past few years.

  • dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,439 Posts
    Bop Street is garbage.

  • cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Bop Street is garbage.

    Yes and no.
    You need to know when Dave (the owner) is working and avoid those times like the plague.

  • discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Chan coming through! Thanks, looks like we'll be hitting up a number of those spots, then.

    Can't wait to check this city out. If anyone knows any dealers with good Latin stuff, please PM and put me in touch.

  • Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    cpeetz said:
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Bop Street is garbage.

    Yes and no.
    You need to know when Dave (the owner) is working and avoid those times like the plague.

    ^ THIS

  • Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    Chan coming through! Thanks, looks like we'll be hitting up a number of those spots, then.

    Can't wait to check this city out. If anyone knows any dealers with good Latin stuff, please PM and put me in touch.

    I don't know any dealers here in town with lots of Latin stuff. Christian, you know any?

  • Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Casteneda said:
    "La Isla" in Ballard area of Seattle has great Puerto Rican food. Definitely check that place out!

    La Isla
    2320 Northwest Market Street

    I was at La Isla earlier tonight. I would not say they have "Great" Puerto Rican food, but it is not bad especially for Seattle. I'm a little picky having spent time in San Juan and eating REAL PR food every day.

  • tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yo, truth be told, Big Chan is the mayor of Seattle.
    chan, that italian salumeria you put me up on was stellar too.

    If youre in Fremont, stop by the Cleo chocolate storefront. seriously. no trip to Seattle of mine will ever go without a visit
    The Fremont flea market is small and high brow, but should have some eye candy and maybe records
    Dont forget the antique mall across the street from jive time, lots of records and throwback stuff where you could actually bring a lady friend without having her hate you

    camping...last time i went out (two septembers ago) i went out to olympic penninsula. we took the ferry (awesome) and then drove to Neia Bay and bought smoked salmon out of a rusty tin shack and then went to hike the Ho River Valley. we walked in and camped out there. thing of absolute beauty. its like a Bo Hanson cover. i am going back as soon as i get the chance

  • Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    yo, truth be told, Big Chan is the mayor of Seattle.
    chan, that italian salumeria you put me up on was stellar too.

    If youre in Fremont, stop by the Cleo chocolate storefront. seriously. no trip to Seattle of mine will ever go without a visit
    The Fremont flea market is small and high brow, but should have some eye candy and maybe records
    Dont forget the antique mall across the street from jive time, lots of records and throwback stuff where you could actually bring a lady friend without having her hate you

    camping...last time i went out (two septembers ago) i went out to olympic penninsula. we took the ferry (awesome) and then drove to Neia Bay and bought smoked salmon out of a rusty tin shack and then went to hike the Ho River Valley. we walked in and camped out there. thing of absolute beauty. its like a Bo Hanson cover. i am going back as soon as i get the chance

    No doubt, The Fremont Antique mall is always cool. And see, all you needed was a hippy like Tony to post on here and he can tell you all about the camping! LOL.

    This is the Italian salumeria shop Tony is talking about:

    Salumi
    309 3rd Ave S
    Seattle, WA 98104
    (206) 621-8772

    The place is run by Mario Batali's family. His dad started it. EXCELLENT! Be ready to wait in line though. It is VERY popular.

  • jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    If you are looking for a coronary check out:
    http://lunchboxlaboratory.com/

    I also have had some amazing beers at ??ber - http://www.uberbier.com/

    And this crazy mago tofu salad at some place on aurora way up north of 180th, probably further than you want to go.

  • tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Chan, start doing karate in the pool and all that other exercise, cause next time im in the area, you are going on a hiking trip.
    Olympic Penninsula, land of the Godz! (at least outside of port angeles and the other human infested towns)

  • Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    Chan, start doing karate in the pool and all that other exercise, cause next time im in the area, you are going on a hiking trip.
    Olympic Penninsula, land of the Godz! (at least outside of port angeles and the other human infested towns)

    Karate In The Pool! I think I should do a mix tape called Karate In The Pool. Let me know when you are gonna be back out here fam. We will get active.

  • dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,439 Posts
    bop street dave seems to be in the new location way more often than he ever was in the old one. On balance, I still say garbage. Dude still has his 25 copies of Brubeck Time Out, but now he's slapped ridiculous prices on them. He's insane. And not in that endearing record store weirdo way.

    Peninsula and coast is always great. Can't really go wrong from La Push to Neah Bay. If you're midweek, try for a spot at Lake Ozette and do the triangle hike out to Alava. Heavy PNW coast action.
    HWY 20 opened today, too, if you're down with one of the greatest drives in Amurka.
    Getting to the time of year when Seattle becomes the best place on earth. For a month. Time it right!

  • cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    Chan coming through! Thanks, looks like we'll be hitting up a number of those spots, then.

    Can't wait to check this city out. If anyone knows any dealers with good Latin stuff, please PM and put me in touch.

    I don't know any dealers here in town with lots of Latin stuff. Christian, you know any?

    I don't. Wish I did. Latin records are few and far between round these parts...
    Good ones anyways.

  • cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    bop street dave seems to be in the new location way more often than he ever was in the old one. On balance, I still say garbage. Dude still has his 25 copies of Brubeck Time Out, but now he's slapped ridiculous prices on them. He's insane. And not in that endearing record store weirdo way.

    All true. I can't deal with him, even for 5 minutes.
    I've got many stories of his BS, some of my own and many many more from others.
    Swapping stories about him is always entertaining and it happens any time you mention Bop St. to another collector.
    But when he's not there and I've gotten a chance to poke around in some of the recesses of the shop it usually
    works out really well.

  • discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    cpeetz said:
    Big_Chan said:
    Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    Chan coming through! Thanks, looks like we'll be hitting up a number of those spots, then.

    Can't wait to check this city out. If anyone knows any dealers with good Latin stuff, please PM and put me in touch.

    I don't know any dealers here in town with lots of Latin stuff. Christian, you know any?

    I don't. Wish I did. Latin records are few and far between round these parts...
    Good ones anyways.

    Noticed that. On the drive up, I made a whirlwind detour to Crossroads in Portland and picked up some solid Latin titles, but Sea Town has been dry so far.

    Also, Chan: Hue Ky Mi Gia was great! Will be using your list for the rest of the trip no doubt.

  • The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    gonna be heading up to Seattle in August...good to see some up to date info.
    Any Peruvian spots in Sea-Tac?

  • Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    gonna be heading up to Seattle in August...good to see some up to date info.
    Any Peruvian spots in Sea-Tac?

    San Fernando Roasted Peruvian Chicken
    900 Rainier Ave
    Seattle, WA 98144
    (206) 331-3763

    The chicken and Lomo saltado are great. They also have yucca fries, purple corn punch, etc. Good spot near my place in the hood.

  • Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    cpeetz said:
    Big_Chan said:
    Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    Chan coming through! Thanks, looks like we'll be hitting up a number of those spots, then.

    Can't wait to check this city out. If anyone knows any dealers with good Latin stuff, please PM and put me in touch.

    I don't know any dealers here in town with lots of Latin stuff. Christian, you know any?

    I don't. Wish I did. Latin records are few and far between round these parts...
    Good ones anyways.

    Noticed that. On the drive up, I made a whirlwind detour to Crossroads in Portland and picked up some solid Latin titles, but Sea Town has been dry so far.

    Also, Chan: Hue Ky Mi Gia was great! Will be using your list for the rest of the trip no doubt.

    I used to always find good records at Crossroads. Glad you liked Hue Ky Mi Gia. I love that place!

  • Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    cpeetz said:
    Big_Chan said:
    Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    Chan coming through! Thanks, looks like we'll be hitting up a number of those spots, then.

    Can't wait to check this city out. If anyone knows any dealers with good Latin stuff, please PM and put me in touch.

    I don't know any dealers here in town with lots of Latin stuff. Christian, you know any?

    I don't. Wish I did. Latin records are few and far between round these parts...
    Good ones anyways.

    Noticed that. On the drive up, I made a whirlwind detour to Crossroads in Portland and picked up some solid Latin titles, but Sea Town has been dry so far.
    What did you find? I'm curious because Portland tends to be just as dry as Seattle when it comes to Latin records.

  • discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    bobtheorange said:
    Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    cpeetz said:
    Big_Chan said:
    Indi_Lbl_HE@T said:
    Chan coming through! Thanks, looks like we'll be hitting up a number of those spots, then.

    Can't wait to check this city out. If anyone knows any dealers with good Latin stuff, please PM and put me in touch.

    I don't know any dealers here in town with lots of Latin stuff. Christian, you know any?

    I don't. Wish I did. Latin records are few and far between round these parts...
    Good ones anyways.

    Noticed that. On the drive up, I made a whirlwind detour to Crossroads in Portland and picked up some solid Latin titles, but Sea Town has been dry so far.
    What did you find? I'm curious because Portland tends to be just as dry as Seattle when it comes to Latin records.

    A few clean upgrades for my Cotique collection, some Mexican and Central American funk LPs, and a few fillers for my Discos Corona label run quest. It broke my heart to pass on the $20 VG- copy of Manhattan Latin on the wall. Any one got a clean copy for me? All in all happy to leave the store with all that stuff for less than $50. I'd love to be able to scour that place from top to bottom on a regular basis.

  • mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    Big_Chan said:

    La Carta de Oaxaca
    5431 Ballard Ave NW
    Seattle, WA 98107
    (206) 782-8722

    Loved this place when I visited a couple months ago.

    By the way, I'm moving to Seattle in about two weeks. Wife and I are renting a place in Eastlake.

    Any recommendations on good multi-genre dj nights? I'm looking to make connections with some dj's that play at chill lounge spots

  • Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    mr.brett said:
    Big_Chan said:

    La Carta de Oaxaca
    5431 Ballard Ave NW
    Seattle, WA 98107
    (206) 782-8722

    Loved this place when I visited a couple months ago.

    By the way, I'm moving to Seattle in about two weeks. Wife and I are renting a place in Eastlake.

    Any recommendations on good multi-genre dj nights? I'm looking to make connections with some dj's that play at chill lounge spots.

    Plaese to explain "multi-genre" how "multi" are you talking? LOL
Sign In or Register to comment.