was "professor booty" about 3rd bass???

2»

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    people: I love a lot of their music, and they had some epic quotables. they were not the strongest rappers, but c'mon of course I give them their due.

3rd bass and them apparently had beef, and, being rappers, it's totally understandable that they should trade disses on wax.

I'm just amused by the idea of these two groups "battling" on record; none of them was scary on the mic.

that was my only point.

carry on.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Serch is better than all of them

batmon said:
    Serch is better than all of them

yes.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    hmm, id say pete. but both were better than any beasties

bat: i never said anything about skills. i said they are far from wack. take it as you will. maybe its an opinion (pretty much based on 3 records, afterwhich i didnt listen much) but i think its pretty easy to grasp that they hold their own and made a string of dope songs not based solely on good production.

and bringing up vocal samples does mean something if we are talking about not being wack. people wouldnt have sampled their voices so much if they were trash. name 3 wack rappers whose lyrics got sampled more than twice

• leonleon 883 Posts
    DOR said:
    Meanwhile in Brighton...

wow that's a great piece

• Herm said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    Rap beef "stayed on wax" BITD? Really?

Yes. Name me a rapper back then that took it off of wax.

KRS and Teddy Riley, for starters.

Teddy Riley - not a rapper, and what beef and with whom did KRS-One have?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    leon said:
    DOR said:
    Meanwhile in Brighton...

wow that's a great piece

Link for a closer look.

http://i.imgur.com/KLj7X.jpg

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    Herm said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    SoulOnIce said:

He rapped on that Wreckz 'N Effect album. And PM Dawn. Out of curiousity, how old are you? Not hating, it's just that both are fairly well-known stories.

• Herm said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    Herm said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    SoulOnIce said:

He rapped on that Wreckz 'N Effect album. And PM Dawn. Out of curiousity, how old are you? Not hating, it's just that both are fairly well-known stories.

I know who Teddy Riley is, I've met him in Hampton, VA and he's not a rapper, he's 1/3 of Guy and a R&B producer. I'm old enough to know what happened with KRS-One and his so-called beef with PM Dawn and it didn't involve shooting and murders like the ones we know of today.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    and it didn't involve shooting and murders like the ones we know of today.

Who?

• HarveyCanal said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

Who?

Tupac Shakur and BIggie Smalls are both dead from the West Coast and East Coast "beef' crap and Common (Sense) and Ice Cube beef was so bad that Afrika Bambatta and the Mighty Zulu Nation had to intervene. I'm talking about the difference in eras and now, with the amount of bs that is still progressing.

Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:

Who?

Tupac Shakur and BIggie Smalls are both dead from the West Coast and East Coast "beef' crap and Common (Sense) and Ice Cube beef was so bad that Afrika Bambatta and the Mighty Zulu Nation had to intervene. I'm talking about the difference in eras and now, with the amount of bs that is still progressing.

Pretty sure the cops/feds killed 2Pac and Biggie. I can think of many rappers who have been killed, but none that were killed strictly over rap beef. It ain't that big a deal. Rap battles are held on the regular nowadays without even fists drawn.

• Pretty sure the cops/feds killed 2Pac and Biggie. I can think of many rappers who have been killed, but none that were killed strictly over rap beef. It ain't that big a deal. Rap battles are held on the regular nowadays without even fists drawn.
    You can confirm the cops/fed killed those two rappers? There have been more than enough rap battles that have unnecessarily escalated to violence and assaults within the last five to ten years. What I'm saying is, it shouldn't have to result in that at all nowadays but it has, does, and more than likely will.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Can you confirm rap beef killed Pac and Biggie?

Seriously, the worst that's ever happened - documented - is some dudes jumping one another after a show; that kind of shit.

• mannybolone said:

Seriously, the worst that's ever happened - documented - is some dudes jumping one another after a show; that kind of shit.

Can you disprove it?? I know that when two rappers have a country split in half due to so-called rap battles is insane and that it fueled the fire. Remember when Tupac was shot the first time, who did he blame?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Ooh ooh I know this one, I know this one!

Was it the Wicked Witch of the East?

Was it? Was it??!?!

Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    mannybolone said:

Can you disprove it??

The inability to disprove a claim is not the same as proving it.

why are you people talking to this guy

rootlesscosmo said:
    why are you people talking to this guy

This is a fine point.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Sorry, that was my fault.

Just to get back on topic...can we just note how KILLER the drums are on this song?

A little Kool and the Gang crossed with Jimmy Smith, no?

It took me a few years to put it together, but I always wondered if the "Professor Booty" drums are what gave Shadow the idea for this beat:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Herm said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    Herm said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    SoulOnIce said:

I know who Teddy Riley is, I've met him in Hampton, VA and he's not a rapper, he's 1/3 of Guy and a R&B producer. I'm old enough to know what happened with KRS-One and his so-called beef with PM Dawn and it didn't involve shooting and murders like the ones we know of today.

Teddy Riley produced Hip Hop tracks before New Jack Swing blew up. And after that did explode he had a good stable of artists rapping over NJS. He's fiirmly entreched in the Harlem/NYC street scene way before he went down south.

And the whole Rap Beef killed people angle seems like your from a small town or got your news from white media. Or both.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'd be willing to bet that more rappers have been killed as a result of non-rap beef.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Just to get back on topic...can we just note how KILLER the drums are on this song?

A little Kool and the Gang crossed with Jimmy Smith, no?

It took me a few years to put it together, but I always wondered if the "Professor Booty" drums are what gave Shadow the idea for this beat:

To derail your re-rail: Several years back I played Shizuo's "Sweat" in mixed company, and one of the assembled was convinced that it was from whence Shadow got the idea for the "The Number Song" beat. I don't know about all that, but it's interesting. Sort of.

Also, it occurs to me that with some time and patience and certain lifestyle deficiencies, you could probably get every record the Beastie Boys sampled in their first fifteen years of recording for like a hundred bucks total. I think there's something to be said for the democratic nature of that.