was "professor booty" about 3rd bass???

SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
read a mca tribute by pete nice and he claims that professor booty was a diss towards 3rd bass. was this common knowledge?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    . And for white MCs, it wasn't easy. Bill Adler, the publicist/in-house psychologist for Def Jam and Rush, was around to see us ??? along with other white MCs???struggle for radio play. He talked about Yauch over the weekend and nailed what I think is MCA's musical legacy:

Yauch was the best conventional rapper of the three guys, he's the one who sounded most like a "rapper" as far as I'm concerned but he was also a musician and he was a producer, so he always had a strong hand in the production of the band's recording and I think his personal journey must've had its affect on his two partners as well.

What Adler was really saying is that Yauch sounded black. He had a voice and cadence that made him sound like the other MCs on the scene. He could blend in. The Beasties could never have conquered the pop music scene without the quick wit and Jerry Lewis moves brought to the table by MCA's rhyming counterparts. What Mike D and Ad-Rock brought to the Beastie Boys shaped their identity, for sure but without MCA's authentic voice and sound, could they really have recorded a track like "Hold It Now, Hit It"?

as i was sayin

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    read a mca tribute by pete nice and he claims that professor booty was a diss towards 3rd bass. was this common knowledge?

MCA's verse was dissing MC Serch.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    they always had beef back then w 3rd bass. i kind of remember it even being discussed on yo mtv raps by 3rd bass but it's a really vague memory

......Aint even gonna call out your names cuz ya' so wack
    And one big oaf, who's faker than plastic
    A dictionary definition of the word spastic......

always thought that had to be serch

• EL CHAMACOEL CHAMACO 96 Posts
    MCA's verse was most definitely about MC Serch.
    3rd Bass started the feud if I remember correctly.
    The track Sons of 3rd Bass on their debut album
    was about the Beasties. One line I remember
    was, "if a Beastie was playing fetus I'd have him
    aborted" - thems is fighting words!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    dang i never realized beasties even tried coming back at 3rd bass. "sons of 3rd bass" was a bonafide assassination, jesus christ. the track is great, sis or no dis

sons, slim ones flee from the third
    busted my nuts and gave birth to three bastard sons
    ya biggest fan 9 years of age

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    lol at the Beasties tryna rap dis anyone.

they were all three wack on the mic.

sorry.

sorry your ears are broken

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Never liked 3rd Bass.

don't get me wrong I love the beasties.

but its funny hearing about a rapp beef involving any of them.

just as its funny hearing about a rap beef between, say, 50 and jah rule, or jacki-o and lil kim.

rootlesscosmo said:
    don't get me wrong I love the beasties.

but its funny hearing about a rapp beef involving any of them.

just as its funny hearing about a rap beef between, say, 50 and jah rule, or jacki-o and lil kim.

it might not have the deadly significance of some east coast vs west cost shit, but what the hell, someone insults them, they insult back. i think pete was really talking about a watershed moment regarding white people on the hiphop stage.

i think the beasties hold their own on the mic.

and harvey...how can you not like 3rd bass?!?!

Because MC Serch makes Michael Rappaport look like Ben Wallace.

HarveyCanal said:
    Never liked 3rd Bass.

Damn, not even "The Gas Face"?

Naw, had a good friend try to sell me on 3rd Bass back when we were in high school. It was a big no then and an even bigger no now. Pete Nice is alright, but Serch just kills it for me.

HarveyCanal said:
    Because MC Serch makes Michael Rappaport look like Ben Wallace.

lets bump that thread.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    That article to me just felt like Pete tryin' to show how really down he was back in the day. I now need an Everlast article to give me the thoughts on the west coast white boy angle and I'll be set.

Tho, it was interesting to read Professor X managed 3rd Bass.

DOR said:

Tho, it was interesting to read Professor X managed 3rd Bass.

Or at least managed Pete. That's the part I really wanted to hear more about. Like, how did PXO feel about that little X-Clan/3rd Bass beef?

• rootlesscosmo said:

Funny, I always thought you were kind of wack at the internet.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    lol at the Beasties tryna rap dis anyone.

sorry.

Not sayin' they were superscientifical, but come on now. I've spent the last 2 weeks listening to nothing but Beasties. Claiming wack is a stretch.

I also like 3rd Bass and Harvey vacillates between genius and rainman LVLZ. i can't call it.

• I believe back then, the "disses" were more genuine. It was based off of who had the lyrical skills and that's where it stayed; on wax. It was never escalated to the streets with guns and crap like it has been with rap music now. I was listening to both Beastie and 3rd back then, but I've been partial to the Beasties due to their beginnings with RUN DMC and 3rd Bass got me into listening to KMD, and from there ultimately MF DOOM.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    I'm a Beastie fan and they are some wack rappers. I also dig on some Tim Dog and Big Shug... also, wack rappers.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Rap beef "stayed on wax" BITD? Really?

with all due respect, saying the beasties are wack rappers is divorced from reality. theres a reason why producers have been lifting vocal samples from licensed to ill over and over and over. bboys didnt flow like puba or have lyrics like nas, but they had fun charismatic energy, a shitload of quotable lines, and were actually pretty masterful with the back and forth finishing each others sentences shit. pauls boutique is not just a dust brothers extravaganza...there is so much attitude, amazing cultural references and straight up hilariousness in the lyrics that you have to tip the hat.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Meanwhile in Brighton...

• SoulOnIce said:

Yes. Name me a rapper back then that took it off of wax.

tripledouble said:
    with all due respect, saying the beasties are wack rappers is divorced from reality. theres a reason why producers have been lifting vocal samples from licensed to ill over and over and over. bboys didnt flow like puba or have lyrics like nas, but they had fun charismatic energy, a shitload of quotable lines, and were actually pretty masterful with the back and forth finishing each others sentences shit. pauls boutique is not just a dust brothers extravaganza...there is so much attitude, amazing cultural references and straight up hilariousness in the lyrics that you have to tip the hat.

Im a fan but they are and will never be mentioned in the top 50 mcs for their lyrics.

I wont say they are wack but calm down with the "they arent Rakim but they still made aspiring mcs bite their techniques" shit.

and dont get me going on the "i like Tim Dog" critique nonsense either.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    SoulOnIce said:

Yes. Name me a rapper back then that took it off of wax.

KRS and Teddy Riley, for starters.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Or MC Hammer and 3rd Bass. Assuming you believe the story.

batmon said:
    tripledouble said:

Im a fan but they are and will never be mentioned in the top 50 mcs for their lyrics.

I wont say they are wack but calm down with the "they arent Rakim but they still made aspiring mcs bite their techniques" shit.

i never said one thing about anyone biting their style or them being in top 50 anything. i could name 200 better rappers. unless your writing or reading comprehension skills are off, it seems to me like we are pretty much in agreement.

vocal samples:
    i did it like this, i did it like that
    its the new styyyyyyle
    yadad yada. they got sampled a lot. if large professor sampled humannature, did he bite Michael Jackson? reading comprehension please

tripledouble said:
    batmon said:
    tripledouble said:

i never said one thing about anyone biting their style or them being in top 50 anything. i could name 200 better rappers. unless your writing or reading comprehension skills are off, it seems to me like we are pretty much in agreement.

vocal samples:
    i did it like this, i did it like that
    its the new styyyyyyle
    yadad yada. they got sampled a lot. if large professor sampled humannature, did he bite Michael Jackson? reading comprehension please

Bringing up vocal samples proves nothing if were talmbout skills.
    And the back and forth was already overchurned years earlier by better groups.