Mayweather/Cotto

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
The closest thing I've personally seen to Mayweather being somewhat in danger is when De La Hoya was using that stiff jab and backing him onto the ropes in the first couple rounds. Other than that, the dude seems flawless.

Seems to me like he's approaching greatest pound-for-pound fighter ever status. Wrong or right?

Comments

• StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
    yuichi said:
    greatest pound-for-pound fighter ever status.

Very very possible. A near flawless fighter.

• countmaculacountmacula 196 Posts
    Yes, one of the best technical fighters. He's more exciting outside of the ring.

• I believe that if Mayweather or Gayweather, which ever you chose, would have fought De La Hoya back in his prime, Oscar would have danced on those toes and beat the brakes off of the Pretty Boy. He caught him and the end of his career when he KNEW he could get him. I suppose he's doing the same with Manny. Yes, he works hard and he is dedicated and with that he is flawless, but his character is full of flaws. Floyd as a person is shallow, childish, arrogant and horribly ignorant. What he needs to do is stop making excuses for fighting Manny and do it already, if he truly is the Best and that good. Forget the money, both of these fighters are bigger than that. I'm watching the fight right now and getting my brew ready! GO COTTO!!

• countmaculacountmacula 196 Posts
    Any websites to watch this extravaganza??

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Without spoiling too much, I got my money's worth. Very good fight.

• I must agree, it was a good fight, I now know that Money-May is capable of being hurt! I also believe that Mayweather had a sense of humanity last night that I've never seen in him, especially with the post fight interviews that everyone knows become volatile in an instant. No, he was calm, receptive and at best RESPECTFUL. Cotto, he fought his heart out and gave May a run that he will never forget. Alvarez-Mayweather anyone??

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    deleted. sorry, post in the wrong thread

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    He needs to fight Sergio Martinez and Manny for me to admit that he is the greatest pound for pound champion, until then I am hating on him.

• ROD1ROD1 26 Posts
    solid fight. May had his nose bleedin for half the fight. Good effort on Cotto's part.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    IMO, Mayweather wasn't ever tested by De La Hoya. To me, none of De La Hoya's attacks did real damage. It's been years since I watched that fight so my memory might be serving me wrong. From what I can remember, De La Hoya's attacks were more flash and show than effective...the shoulder roll crab defense of Mayweather deflected virtually all of that stuff when you watch the slo mo.

I felt like Round 2 of the Mosley v Mayweather fight was the closest thing I've ever seen to Mayweather being in trouble or tested.

I don't feel exactly like the creator of this video does, but I will say this is the closest thing I've seen to a Mayweather knock down...that I can recall.

The Cotto Mayweather fight was incredible. Between the 11th and 12th round, Mayweather looks totally spent and possibly shook in his corner. He's gasping for air and his mouth is almost trembling...I don't think he was nervous or out of control...I just think he was really fucking exhausted. Best Mayweather fight I've seen in a long time and best PPV main event I've seen since....Pacquiao vs. Cotto.

Did anyone see Cotto kiss his son pre fight tho? Maybe I was too sauced by then, but that shit looked a little suspect.

EDIT: Thought I'd share a pic of tha man fridge that was stocked for the fight...I was going to make sure I enjoyed the fight no matter what.

Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    ...Alvarez-Mayweather anyone??

I dunno about that. Seems a bit premature. I will say that before the Alvarez Mosley fight (Mosley undercard, never thought I'd see the day), I was pulling for Mosley to be the old vet who destroys a kid and gets a bit of dignity back...but after Mosley's early and blatant headbutt I wanted Alvarez to embarrass that chump...and that is exactly what he did.

Mad respect to Alvarez for fighting through that really nasty headbutt and convincingly beating the hell out of Mosley....Alvarez had a damn vagina on his eyebrow after that headbutt and fought through it.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    I must agree, it was a good fight, I now know that Money-May is capable of being hurt! I also believe that Mayweather had a sense of humanity last night that I've never seen in him, especially with the post fight interviews that everyone knows become volatile in an instant. No, he was calm, receptive and at best RESPECTFUL. Cotto, he fought his heart out and gave May a run that he will never forget. Alvarez-Mayweather anyone??

eh...

floyd went to the ropes to make it look exciting... b/c if he had fought the whole fight in the middle of the ring it would have been dull... floyd knows people say his fights are boring compared to manny's, so he tried to liven it up... he realized early on that cotto couldn't hurt him, too...

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    I must agree, it was a good fight, I now know that Money-May is capable of being hurt! I also believe that Mayweather had a sense of humanity last night that I've never seen in him, especially with the post fight interviews that everyone knows become volatile in an instant. No, he was calm, receptive and at best RESPECTFUL. Cotto, he fought his heart out and gave May a run that he will never forget. Alvarez-Mayweather anyone??

eh...

floyd went to the ropes to make it look exciting... b/c if he had fought the whole fight in the middle of the ring it would have been dull... floyd knows people say his fights are boring compared to manny's, so he tried to liven it up... he realized early on that cotto couldn't hurt him, too...

I kinda agree with this. Almost seems Floyd took some time to brawl it up for the fans. He made a shit load of money.

p_gunn said:

eh...

I disagree. Mayweather is the most gifted fighter I've seen but the idea that he could fuck-around/toy with Cotto is a little over the top. And I felt like this fight kinda proved that.

Besides, the vast majority of the exciting exchanges were in the center of the ring. When you get Mayweather in a corner or against the ropes, he just goes into defense/counter mode and it gets less exciting IMO. The left shoulder rolls to protect his jaw, the right arm covers the entire right side of his face and he just leans back against the ropes to dodge pretty much anything that comes at him....he turtles on the ropes...hardly exciting when he does that IMO.

Mayweather on the ropes pretty much equals Philly Crab defense all day

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    JectWon said:
    p_gunn said:

eh...

I disagree. Mayweather is the most gifted fighter I've seen but the idea that he could fuck-around/toy with Cotto is a little over the top. And I felt like this fight kinda proved that.

Besides, the vast majority of the exciting exchanges were in the center of the ring. When you get Mayweather in a corner or against the ropes, he just goes into defense/counter mode and it gets less exciting IMO. The left shoulder rolls to protect his jaw, the right arm covers the entire right side of his face and he just leans back against the ropes to dodge pretty much anything that comes at him....he turtles on the ropes...hardly exciting when he does that IMO.

Mayweather on the ropes pretty much equals Philly Crab defense all day

i am not saying he was toying w/ Cotto... i am saying he realized Cotto wasn't going to hurt him, so he did not have to do his super cautious shoulder roll/countering all night... it's a tedious style, but it is what floyd is best at... if there was any risk of him losing the fight, he would have stuck to it... floyd went with a style that played totally against his natural inclinations and he still won easily... i think Cotto won a few rounds in the middle of the fight, and just barely...

i do like how floyd as been trying to engage more in his last few fights, but i feel like if he ever fights Manny, he won't fight that way... we'll see the old floyd then...