Supreme Court: Obamacare & AZ Immigration Law (NRR)

13»

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Frank said:
    I have to admit, I was baiting to get to ask this question.
    Seriously though, what about someone who makes 50 grand and above and decides to not get health insurance. Don't they just pay their own bills? Or is it actually possible that they receive treatment and just don't pay?

The cost of healthcare is ridiculous and the government could do something about that if they wanted to ....even public hospitals charge above and beyond what any other industries charge for their comparable services.

Yeah, you can make $50K, not buy health insurance and pay your own medical bills......but when the bills exceed what you can afford something has to give.......as my Grandad always use to tell me..."Can't get blood from a turnip".

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

No one took the time to answer my earlier question about my friend who has received literally hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of health care without having insurance or money.

There will probably always be healthcare for people without money. Hasn't that been the case in the states for quite a while now?

It's about the fact that one of the number 1 causes of bankruptcy in the US is health care costs.

Obama should really be fighting for coverage for all Americans.

That and/or bringing down healthcare costs across the board....

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Frank,

Someone making $50,000/yr in the U.S. likely would get health insurance through his work when he signs up for the job.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    oops. Mistake post.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Frank,

Someone making $50,000/yr in the U.S. likely would get health insurance through his work when he signs up for the job.
    So what would be their motivation to chose not to take advantage of that option?
    14 million people (if those numbers quoted are correct) is quite a lot. I thought these would have to be self-employed or some perhaps independently wealthy? I had times when I barely could pay my rent but it wouldn't have crossed my mind to be without health insurance. Even if you're young and healthy, what a risk... imagine you take a stupid fall down some stairs or some other random shit that leaves you with a fracture that needs to be operated on, those bills could ruin you.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Frank said:
    motown67 said:
    Frank,

So what would be their motivation to chose not to take advantage of that option?
    14 million people (if those numbers quoted are correct) is quite a lot. I thought these would have to be self-employed or some perhaps independently wealthy? I had times when I barely could pay my rent but it wouldn't have crossed my mind to be without health insurance. Even if you're young and healthy, what a risk... imagine you take a stupid fall down some stairs or some other random shit that leaves you with a fracture that needs to be operated on, those bills could ruin you.

Not every employer offers health insurance and the number that do are on decline.

Even if they do, you can opt out if you don't want to pay.

And yes, many of these folks are either self-employed or, in the case of many outside sales jobs, independent reps that are not considered employees of the companies they represent.