VORTEX RECORDS

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
This was an Atlantic jazz subsidiary that seemed to release a lot of stuff that was quite different from that label's regular acts. Can't put my finger on it, but in terms of general identity, Vortex was coming from a wilder, more avant-garde place than the jazz musicians who were on Atlantic proper. The one Vortex I own is #2010 (see discography below), which is basically regulation soul-jazz, IIRC. But looking at their releases (plus a few reviews in period issues of Down Beat), I get the impression that there was a lot of nascent jazz-rock fusion going on that was pretty edgy for the time.

Not sure if I'd want to hear Joe Zawinul, thanks to an old bias against his band Weather Report. But I've heard good things about Keith Jarrett's Restoration Ruin (his folk-rock LP?), have wanted to experiment with Sonny Sharrock, and am curious about Steve Marcus.

Any recommendations? Admonitions? Insights? Bring 'em on...while I'm only a mild jazz fan at best, every now and then I'll crack open the door and see what's going on.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Oh yeah, the discography (thanks, Johmbolaya):

* 2001 Steve Marcus - Tomorrow Never Knows
    * 2002 Joe Zawinul - The Rise And Fall Of The Third Stream
    * 2003 Byard Lancaster - It's Not Up To Us
    * 2004 Chick Corea - Tones For Joan's Bones
    * 2005 Robin Kenyatta - Until
    * 2006 Keith Jarrett - Life Between The Exit Signs
    * 2007 Dave Pike - The Doors Of Perception
    * 2008 Keith Jarrett - Restoration Ruin
    * 2009 Steve Marcus - Count's Rock Band
    * 2010 Clifford Jordan - Soul Fountain
    * 2011 Leo Wright - Soul Talk
    * 2012 Keith Jarrett - Somewhere Before
    * 2013 Steve Marcus - The Lord's Prayer
    * 2014 Sonny Sharrock - Black Woman

• unityunity 179 Posts
    pickwick33 said:

This. That's really the only vortex record I've heard/owned, but highly, highly recommended. This and Now He Sings, Now He Sobs are the two best Chick Corea records, imo. It's pretty straight ahead jazz, though, so maybe not exactly what you're looking for?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    unity said:
    pickwick33 said:

This. That's really the only vortex record I've heard/owned, but highly, highly recommended. This and Now He Sings, Now He Sobs are the two best Chick Corea records, imo. It's pretty straight ahead jazz, though, so maybe not exactly what you're looking for?

Maybe not, but even if my premonition is wrong, I'd still like to hear people's opinions. Thanks.

• i find that alot of the vortex sessions just don't come off at all. nascent jazz-soul-folk rock with nods to the avant-garde that is more interesting in theory than in its actual execution. that said there are a few joints on the label, particualrly on this record:

this was later interpreted by sonny sharrock on 'ask the ages":

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    You might also want to check out the Embryo label stuff, they are very much of a piece.

Both were vehicles for Herbie Mann productions.

I agree with the above opinion, though. Most of them don't quite come off, but there are some good moments in there.

• I recently passed on the Dave Pike for $10 and later regretted it, because for the most part what I sampled sounded pretty cool (plus that was a pretty good price). I checked it out because it has a very cool looking, very 60s cover. It was the first time I'd seen anything on Vortex and was curious about the label so it's cool to see it brought up here.

• if only that dave pike lived up to the cover.

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    I like the steve Marcus lp the lords prayer and I would like to check out the other. It is hit or miss but even the cover songs of Dylan, Beatles etc are tolerably different. Ive listened to the Clifford Jordan which I like and is pretty solid for jazz in that time period.

I was curious about the Dave pike but glad I didn't pick it up for the price it was offered at last time I saw it given crab mongers reaction.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    if only that dave pike lived up to the cover.

I played this 2 days ago by chance. It has it's moments. Cover and label are eye catching, that probably sums it up. Clifford Jordan's Soul Fountain album is a better buy.

There are several Embryo releases i like (i completed the 520 serie releases), but it's real hit-or-miss on this label IMO.

• Sonny Sharrock "Black Woman" is a beautiful record. The sonic union of Sonny's guitar and Linda's vocals.

Portrait of Linda in Three Colors, All Black

A rare "out"ing produced by Herbie Mann as well