Soul Slate 2012

jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Got this at the grocery store this morning:

And to all my Hyde Park neighbors:

On election day, when you're getting ready to head out to the polling place, just remember two little words:

KARI STEELE

Oof.

Comments

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    james said:
    Got this at the grocery store this morning:

And to all my Hyde Park neighbors:

On election day, when you're getting ready to head out to the polling place, just remember two little words:

KARI STEELE

Oof.
    Really ...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Have you, or anyone you know, committed an X Offence? Sounds nasty. Like, a sex offence they can't talk about. Or, like wearing a leather Africa pendant in 2012.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Have you, or anyone you know, committed an X Offence?
    For a little while in the early nineties, I regualrly rocked a Malcolm X "By Any Means Necessary" shirt (with my wobbly teenage paunch making it seem as though Malcolm was perpetually stifling a chuckle), and one time got into a semi-heated war of words with another doughy whitey (a long-haired ginger, at that) who--as luck would have it--was wearing the exact same shirt company's MLK "I Have A Dream" jernt, as well as a kufi of many colors. It got broken up when his boy Dean came in tearfully hollering about some goslings across the road that were being attacked by a swan (I know it sounds like I'm making that up, but that really was the scene), at which point he grabbed his acoustic guitar (for real) and ran off to handle that, while I went back to my room to listen to my imperfectly dubbed copy of Fear Of A Black Planet once more and stew. Looking back, the whole thing was offensive on just about every level.

(For the record, though, X-Offenders is a decently well-thought-of community-service group run by former convicts.)

p.s.:

I'LL HOWSE YOU

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Overall, though, at least downtown the politicking has been pretty tepid. I read a Gingrich flyer today and some third-gen Latino psychical therapist dude running for state senate pamphleted me at the train. A cute black girl handed me a judicial flyer while I was sitting in my car and I walked by a couple of burnouts reppin' Ron Paul. Other than that, it's been quiet. The Washington bureau chief at the Sun-Times ran a column last week on Mitt's 34x34 jeans, all yelling out to the photographer at O'Hare, "Take a picture of the label!" And you know Santorum had to stop by Reagan's hometown, Dixon. I'm probably going to vote at the VFW in the morning, holler to the Soul Slate, but will probably leave a lot of fields blank just on some ???

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    james said:

For a little while in the early nineties, I regualrly rocked a Malcolm X "By Any Means Necessary" shirt (with my wobbly teenage paunch making it seem as though Malcolm was perpetually stifling a chuckle), and one time got into a semi-heated war of words with another doughy whitey (a long-haired ginger, at that) who--as luck would have it--was wearing the exact same shirt company's MLK "I Have A Dream" jernt, as well as a kufi of many colors. It got broken up when his boy Dean came in tearfully hollering about some goslings across the road that were being attacked by a swan (I know it sounds like I'm making that up, but that really was the scene), at which point he grabbed his acoustic guitar (for real) and ran off to handle that, while I went back to my room to listen to my imperfectly dubbed copy of Fear Of A Black Planet once more and stew. Looking back, the whole thing was offensive on just about every level.

this is amazing.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    goslings

One guy on our team has used a broad and bizarre spectrum of excuses for his eternal latenesses e.g. had to assist neighbour's wife in kicking in her door to find her husband's corpse hanging, part of his own house collapsing on him whilst showering (Cleveland-Brown-style), but my favourite one was stopping on the M42 to assist a wounded swan and take it to the relevant swan-care centre (no doubt manned by a ginger longhair).

Thing is, if you know dude, they could all possibly be true.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    It's times like this that I really miss Chicago. Down here in the Show Me, it's all conceal and kari steez. We're more likely to hear the Moo and Oink (RIP) than to shop there.