Moving to Washington DC advice?

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    vinylstalker said:

Why so adverse to no car in dc Tom?

When I lived there (decades ago) car was necessary for late nights, the mountains, getting to work in Greenbelt or Vienna, and visiting friends who spread from McLean to Langley. The District is small, but the metro area is huge.

When I go back I tend to stay in Takoma Park and visit the city and no car is necessary.

Not speaking for Tom.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    vinylstalker said:
    Yes, downtown is like a big raddison, but I'm a skater so the more ugly marble planters the better for me.
    If we choose Dc,, I'm sure we will do private or charter schools.
    I have found dc really easy to navigate, but I love Paris.
    Silver spring is looking more suburban the more I look into it.
    Takoma park, with the schools, proximity to dcand more laid back vibe
    seems the best place to start.
    Mt.Pleasant and columbia as the city options.

Why so adverse to no car in dc Tom?

Some really informative responses in this thread, thanks!

Takoma Park is basically Silver Spring with no metro, and worse food. they're both suburban without a doubt. I'm sure, on average it's a little cheaper, but living there with no car, you'll figure out why pretty quick. You may also want to look in DC south of Silver Spring, off 16th St. A lot of people have been moving up there and there's some deals to be found still.

Mt Pleasant is definitely tough with an automobile. Parking wars are notorious over there. When I grew up in Adams Morgan, we would circle the blocks for 30-45 minutes looking for parking some nights, and that was in the 80s. I'm sure it's even worse now. Having a car is the best way to take advantage of the city. Like LA, its real spread out, and some of the best food and points of interest are in cutty suburban places.

• And in honor of soul strut being back and all that, wassup with the records? I'm out of the game pretty much, but shit, I'm always down for the good thrift scoop.

Som records and kemp mill whatever the main stores in town?