Adam Sandler

ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central
Please stop making these turds you call movies. The rep you built up in the 90's has gone completely out the window at this point.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    ost said:
    Please stop making these turds you call movies. The rep you built up in the 90's has gone completely out the window at this point.

Are you trying to say that he actually made good movies in the 90s? I have always thought that his films were for kids.

• Big_Chan said:
    ost said:

Are you trying to say that he actually made good movies in the 90s? I have always thought that his films were for kids.

those movies were and are rated highly by the sort of grown folks who consider "shawshank redemption" and that one with bruce willis where the kid says "i see dead people" to be the amongst the greatest movies of all time.

the fact that these sandler vehicles keep getting the green light means he's still bankable but that latest trailer might be the death knell.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    While I agree for the most part turds. I doubt he cares. His films make pretty big money.

World wide totals.

Jack and Jill - $134,851,636
    Just Go With It - $214,945,591
    Grown Ups - $271,430,189
    Bedtime Stories - $212,874,442
    You Don't Mess with the Zohan - $199,936,011

Over the last 5 years those are 5 films that made over a Billion in world wide totals.

9 films of his from the 90's don't even equal $700 million.

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    pretty sure hes the most marketable guy in the movies or something like that from what i read somewhere...

agree with all of the above

with one exception: punch drunk love

I have never seen an Adam Sandler film.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Big_Chan said:

Consider yourself lucky. Just to bring you up to speed, here's a synopsis of every Adam Sandler comedy: Adam Sandler plays a mentally defective man who somehow manages to triumph in the end over all those stuffed shirts who said he couldn't do something.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Big_Chan said:

Consider yourself lucky. Just to bring you up to speed, here's a synopsis of every Adam Sandler comedy: Adam Sandler plays a mentally defective man who somehow manages to triumph in the end over all those stuffed shirts who said he couldn't do something.

And he wins over or is in a relationship with a woman totally out of his league. Rob Schneider has a cameo at some point with some strange accent & a catch phrase.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    mateo said:

with one exception: punch drunk love

Yes. I like this movie.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    ost said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Big_Chan said:

And he wins over or is in a relationship with a woman totally out of his league. Rob Schneider has a cameo at some point with some strange accent & a catch phrase.

Indeed--those are the B and C plots.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The Wedding Singer was good.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Big_Chan said:

Same here.

Grown Ups - $271,430,189

I have never even heard of any of these titles.

However, I have to admit that Adam Sandler is the reason why I understand that it can be a real curse being a celebrity. I bumped into him a few years ago at the cafe within the Fred Segal store on Broadway in Santa Monica. He was having breakfast with four other guys, seemingly enjoying the morning. After they paid, the others got up and he suddenly looked fairly miserable. It took me a while to realise what was going on. The four others were trying to find a way out of the shop without running into the arms of the paparazzi outside. It took them probably 15 to 20 minutes to negotiate an escape route with the staff. What a pain.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    DOR said:

World wide totals.

Grown Ups - $271,430,189

...those are 5 films that made over a Billion...

What in the actual fuck.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Adam Sandler is one of my biggest guilty pleasures. I like him so much I don't even think that's a guilty pleasure.

Are you guys hating on Funny People, too? That was good.

Funny people was good but that was probably due to Judd Apatow.

Yemsky said:
    Big_Chan said:

Same here.

Grown Ups - $271,430,189

I have never even heard of any of these titles.

However, I have to admit that Adam Sandler is the reason why I understand that it can be a real curse being a celebrity. I bumped into him a few years ago at the cafe within the Fred Segal store on Broadway in Santa Monica. He was having breakfast with four other guys, seemingly enjoying the morning. After they paid, the others got up and he suddenly looked fairly miserable. It took me a while to realise what was going on. The four others were trying to find a way out of the shop without running into the arms of the paparazzi outside. It took them probably 15 to 20 minutes to negotiate an escape route with the staff. What a pain.

I could deal with the "curse" you speak of if I was making 40 or 50 million dollars a year.

DOR said:
    While I agree for the most part turds. I doubt he cares. His films make pretty big money.

World wide totals.

Grown Ups - $271,430,189

Over the last 5 years those are 5 films that made over a Billion in world wide totals.

9 films of his from the 90's don't even equal $700 million.
    Although they gross a substantial amount of money, they also cost a lot to make. For instance, Jack & Jill cost $ 79,000,000 so the profit margin is much less.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    His main purpose is to keep Clint Howard employed.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    His main purpose is to keep Rob Schneider employed.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I liked Reign Over Me

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Waterboy is awesome.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You guys don't like Happy Gilmore?? Or Billy Madison?? Do you even party???

and Punch Drunk Love sucked. my girlfriend and I walked out of it due to boredom and apathy. the epitome of the lame early 2000's "serious" movie. Ugh.

• ^^no doubt!
    funny people was weird for sure
    you don't mess with the zohan was some of his best work imo.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    This guy makes me nauseous. I watch pretty much any new movie release on dvd except the stuff that seems to be targeted at the ever growing audience of mildly retarded children and I'm glad that his efforts as an actor seem to be limited on this genre.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Grandmas Boy if effin hillarious. I also liked Zohan. The rest of his output kinda sucks IMO.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    id1979er said:

don't mess with the zohan was some of his best work imo.

• Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore and Waterboy are classics. The rest get the bozak.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Jspr said:
    "
    Wow. "From The Funk Side" - that mid 90s UK bootleg? What an unusual choice in a Hollywood movie!

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Little Nicky.

• Bon Vivant said:
    Little Nicky.

easily one of my "top 5 worst films i've ever seen"

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Risingson said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    Little Nicky.

easily one of my "top 5 worst films i've ever seen"

Absolutely. It's up there with such masterpieces as Caddyshack 2 and Blues Brothers 2000.