'Le Freak' - Nile Rodgers

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited February 2012 in Strut Central
Anybody read this? Great to hear about the first CHIC big song "Dance, Dance, Dance" came about, how "Fuck you Studio 54" eventually
became "Le Freak". Nile tells some great stories about Bowie, Madge "Madonna', and great coke stories if your into that. I'm not here to review the book.

Comments

• Been meaning to pick this up. The RBMA video is really cool too.

• Haven't bought this yet, but eventually intend to.
    I'm not even a Nile Rodgers fan, and even I thought it was a good read.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    ah thanks!

I heard him interviewed last year, he was great. I forgot all about this. Stoked it's finally out. Will cop today.

8.25am, the book store isn't open yet.

• This book has been on my want list as well.

• I always thought it was written to their A&R after he came to the studio and yelled at them. "FUCK OFF!"

I guess I was wrong.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    bought it!

thirty bucks!

okay with that!

• yep, great book and still stocked at your local store in hardcover

Lecture: Nile Rodgers (Madrid 2011) - Part 1 from Red Bull Music Academy on Vimeo.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    They came back from getting rejected at 54 and started jamming at the studio. Awww Fuck Off...

latte pas

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    How does 'Le Freak' compare to this one?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    batmon said:
    They came back from getting rejected at 54 and started jamming at the studio. Awww Fuck Off...

latte pas

'' We downed a few bottles of vintage Dom Perignon, and a little coke, which I'd started snorting while touring on the road.
    I picked up my guitar, started jamming on a guitar riff and singing the words that the stage doorman had said to us
    earlier, "Fuck off," and Nard added, "Fuck Studio 54 --- aw, fuck off." He grabbed his bass and we played this over and
    over, grooving and laughing. We developed the groove and even wrote a bridge, then came the chorus again:
    "Awww, fuck off ---fuck Studio 54 ---fuck off"

"You know this shit is happening!" Bernard said, while pulling his sunglasses down his nose in order to achieve
    genuine eye contact with me. He did this whenever he was serious, because almost everything was a joke to us.

"We can't get this song on the radio. "Fuck off" is pretty hard core for Top Forty," I said, laughing. But Bernard was serious.
    And I'd learned to listen to him when he was serious. He had a great ear for hooks and realizing that this little riff and chant
    sounded good, we changed "fuck" to "freak" "Awww, freak off," we sang energetically. It was horrible, but we tried to make it work.

read the book for more....

• I'm definitely copping this tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Just finished this??? Great book??? starts off a bit slow.. but once you get into the coke induced days of disco and the 80s excess, it is a page turner.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    It was good, but I was disappointed on how he did not discuss any sampling. The Timothy Leary shit blew my mind.

• CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
    Just finished it a few days ago. Good read, definitely picks up in the second half once he gets into Chic, and his productions in the 80's. Didn't know he had an involvement with the Black Panthers. The Timothy Leary story was great as well!

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    CinisterCee said:

I watched the whole lecture - 3 1/2 hours long and it was worth every minute. Such a great guy, so many hilarious anectodes. The man is eloquent, he is funny and he shows how he chucks it on the guitar. Although I'm not a musician or producer he is the living example of the right attitude to being an artist in general. Thanks for posting this. I feel blessed having seen it.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i never knew that he just had beef with the strings being jacked (re: good times/rappers delite) and not with the whole lifting of the bassline.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i never knew that he just had beef with the strings being jacked (re: good times/rappers delite) and not with the whole lifting of the bassline.