DJ Shadown and e-bay

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    well, sometime sample is the wrong word when describing some of Josh's music...like if I was auctioning the David McCallum jernt... "Mr. Josh Davis (DJ Shadow) looped damn near this whole song and didnt change anything about it...low reserve!"

If he didnt want folks blowing up his samples, he should either clear the sumbitches, or stop sampling. I love a lot of sample based music, but if you are going to bite/flip/whatever someone elses music, and MAKE A LIVING OFF OF IT, dont cry when someone else tries to make some money too.

• Options
    Meaty was telling me John Klemmer does the same shit

White Coltrane is always ahead of the m

• well, sometime sample is the wrong word when describing some of Josh's music...like if I was auctioning the David McCallum jernt... "Mr. Josh Davis (DJ Shadow) looped damn near this whole song and didnt change anything about it...low reserve!"

If he didnt want folks blowing up his samples, he should either clear the sumbitches, or stop sampling. I love a lot of sample based music, but if you are going to bite/flip/whatever someone elses music, and MAKE A LIVING OFF OF IT, dont cry when someone else tries to make some money too.

That's a big COSIGN...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I love how yall just assume he's pullin auctions because of samples. Let a dude breath!!!!

I love how yall just assume he's pullin auctions because of samples. Let a dude breath!!!!

well, what other explanation could there be...aside from the ebay rule of not implying there are more than one item for sale...why would any artist not want their name all over the damn place?

"I could play "Stairway to Heaven" when I was 13, Jimmy Page didnt write it until he was 22, I think that says a lot"

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    dont cry when [Josh ends your auction.]

dont cry when [Josh ends your auction.]

yeah, only Saint Josh is allowed to make money off of other peoples records...

People have been slangin records on ebay for years by saying "so and so sampled this for such and such a record" for years and no one gave a fuck...so if THIS is the reason for the auctions being pulled(no one really knows why they are being pulled) then it IS some crybaby shit. If it is for another reason, then I stand corrected.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Is it cuz people are blowing up his samples and it's getting him sued? This I can understand.

Only esplanation for such bitch moves, since I heard he's a nice guy.

i heard he is pretty ruthless in the ole record world.

makingmovesinthereal...

i wanna know what this real world is urrybody keeps talking about!

I've met Mr Davis and he is a real nice guy. He comes across as very modest and embarrased by The Cult Of Josh.

I am oppossed to most "intellectual property rights" laws. I also am oppossed to the idea that a public person has "rights to there name and image". Copywrite laws are covered in the US constitution. Today's copywrite laws(and these other laws) are a perversion of the stated constititional intent.

Sellers should claim that ebay auctions are their artistict medium. Your auction is your art. You are not using his name as such, his name is just one small part of a much larger peice of art.

Dan

Since I like the guy, I've been thinking about why this is happening. Usually O-Dub stepps right up to defend Josh, but I don't hear him today, so I'll do it.

1) Let's start by assuming "he" is not doing this, his lawyers are. (all around lame excuse, but when you start making $ you start letting lawyers run things.)

2) When Brainfreeze hit it got booted like crazy.

3) 7-11 (who unlike the sampled artists has lawyers) jumped all over Shadow.

4) His lawyers were forced by 7-11 to Freeze the Brain bootlegs. Which forced them to have ebay pull anything that mentioned Brainfreeze.

5) Once they started that it was a small step to start pulling other boots, promos and other unathorized appropriations of his name.

Like I said before I think the whole concept of a public person owning the rights to their name is bogus. I think it is 100 x more bogus for a hip hop artists to claim those kind of rights.

Do the Beatles jump on everyone who describes a 45 as Beatlesque?

Dan

• i heard he has three ballz and a vagina shaped penis.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    take out the kitty litter

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts

Well if its Shadow related bootlegs like Diminshing Returns, Brainfreeze, Ultimate Lessons etc then I`m all for Shadow having these auctions pulled. If its some guy selling a hip hop record that says DJ Ivory Edan DJ Shadow after the title just because it was released in 1988 then thats misleading, pull it. If its stuff he sampled then fuck him, he has no right to do that. Those records are out there, just because he`s sampled them doesn`t give him some divine right to them.

• If its some guy selling a hip hop record that says DJ Ivory Edan DJ Shadow after the title just because it was released in 1988 then thats misleading, pull it.

can we all just agree that this is what's going on - and that it's ok in this case.

enough already, right?... no more knee-jerking

whats worseFORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1113587263The_Hook_Up">

whats worse[/b]
    hatin' on Josh
    dickridin' on Josh
    INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

• whats worseFORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1113587263The_Hook_Up">

whats worse[/b]
    hatin' on Josh
    dickridin' on Josh
    all of the above
    INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

• i heard he has three ballz and a vagina shaped penis.

the real deal is that big dudes have a whole different set of concerns, responsibilities, dealings, associations, demands, et al... yea he took micky and the soul generations records and whatever. that was 10 years ago when no one gave a fuck except for him and like 5 other people and the only reason anyone gives a fuck today is because dude gave it life in the first place.

if dude told kids to go buy records by the fixx they would by records by the fixx. straight up. he popularizes shit so be it.

i don't know shit about the guys music or whatever. all i know is the business of music is a business. this is called busting moves in the real world. when someones lawyers and management make decisions the last person on the list they check with is the soulstrut community.

if you think it's wack go listen to some seriously underground shit or some ethnic folkways or something. then it won't concern you anymore.

bottom line with ebay is good shit sells itself ( you do not need to put JOSH on it if it is good shit ). i never hype a single auction. i just let the cards fall where they may. today i just sold jr. mance the good life on tuba for $42 and it kills me because it is rare and i like it but so what? one side of it was vg+. $42 was most likely the right price. i sold other shit for more that is worth half what it sold for. it all evens out. you don't need to flaunt brainfreeze to sell a good record.

ap

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I just think it's kinda gay how you guys call him Josh. I'm going to start referring to Henry Mancicni as "Hank"...

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    good shit sells itself when you are an ebay superbrand like pearson! for the rest of us we have to push things along.

• good shit sells itself when you are an ebay superbrand like pearson! for the rest of us we have to push things along.

fix yer avatar.

Can I call you Tony?

• I just think it's kinda gay how you guys call him Josh. I'm going to start referring to Henry Mancicni as "Hank"...

just call me tony.

i like the little question mark.

• i like the little question mark.

all i see is a red X.

i'm bout to change my shit up again.

give me an adjitive er a verbb or some shitz and i will make my avatar comply.

• Can I call you Tony?

u red mi mindd.

i like the little question mark.

all i see is a red X.

stained

• i like the little question mark.

all i see is a red X.

stained

stained.

ok... i will get right on that...

ap

• "I could play "Stairway to Heaven" when I was 13, Jimmy Page didnt write it until he was 22, I think that says a lot"

Oh my God! BAD NEWS!

"'Eavy met-ul, 'eavy met-ul, 'eavy met-ul!"

Can I call you Tony?

u red mi mindd.

haha!!!

I'll bet Josh does not know about THE MUTHERFUCKIN YOGA MAN!!!

i was going to try to find an avatar so i googled "ghey" and found this:

http://www.gheysites.com/

now if i could only make one of those pics my avatar i'd be set.

• i was going to try to find an avatar so i googled "ghey" and found this:

work-safe?

i was going to try to find an avatar so i googled "ghey" and found this:

here ya go, crazybuttrock...