DJ Shadown and e-bay

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    It's a fucking bitch move no matter how you stack it. I mean, you don't see Robert Moog getting on there saying "they're using my name to sell a $1 record for $5.78". Boo boo fucking hoo hoo.

First, we really need to be specific about WHAT auctions he's targeting. If it's the lame ass ones that just throw his name in the subject to get hits; that I can understand. If he's trying to squash auctions outing his samples, well that's lame and he gets a the hypocrite badge for that. I mean, in his shoes I wouldn't want my name associated with products I don't endorse or make money from.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    It's a fucking bitch move no matter how you stack it. I mean, you don't see Robert Moog getting on there saying "they're using my name to sell a $1 record for $5.78". Boo boo fucking hoo hoo.

First, we really need to be specific about WHAT auctions he's targeting. If it's the lame ass ones that just throw his name in the subject to get hits; that I can understand. If he's trying to squash auctions outing his samples, well that's lame and he gets a the hypocrite badge for that. I mean, in his shoes I wouldn't want my name associated with products I don't endorse or make money from.

I guess I don't understand why it's understandable for him to be able to limit the use of his name in that context. I mean, if a piece of music is used in a movie, and I say "as heard in the Brad Pitt film "Ocean's 12", should Brad Pitt be able to close down my auction?

• Is it cuz people are blowing up his samples and it's getting him sued? This I can understand.

This is about the only thing that seems to make sense, I doubt he'd care if people just dropped his name here and there for other reasons.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

I guess I don't understand why it's understandable for him to be able to limit the use of his name in that context. I mean, if a piece of music is used in a movie, and I say "as heard in the Brad Pitt film "Ocean's 12", should Brad Pitt be able to close down my auction?
    yeah, especially since its shit he doesnt righfully own, or even has rightfully payed for the use of

yeah, especially since its shit he doesnt righfully own, or even has rightfully payed for the use of

But that's HIS problem, no?

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    ya'll are seriously hating on dude for reasons you admittedly don't understand.

but i'm blunted so i'll stay out of it.

ya'll are seriously hating on dude for reasons you admittedly don't understand.

but i'm blunted so i'll stay out of it.

I am really not trying to assume anything, just trying to understand someone's motivation.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    how reliable is this source you heard this from? have any of this sources other stories held up? Just wondering. So if this sets some sort of precedent (ALL break-references outlawed), it might not be that bad. 5 years ago, very few people were listing breaks on Record Auctions. It was a much simpler time. You had to be in the know, ya know?

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    Is it cuz people are blowing up his samples and it's getting him sued? This I can understand.

Only esplanation for such bitch moves, since I heard he's a nice guy.

i heard he is pretty ruthless in the ole record world.

• I think I've pinpointed the possible crux of the matter:

Misleading Titles[/b]

Make sure your title accurately describes only the actual item or items you are offering for sale.

eBay Guideline:[/b]

If your title contains a word or phrase that does not seem to belong, make sure it is clear from your description why you included that word or phrase in the title.

If a bidder can't tell what items you are offering from the title of the listing, the title is inappropriate and is not permitted on eBay.

Example[/b]

The title "Louis Vuitton Handbag, Cartier" is inappropriate and not permitted on eBay, even if you are including a Cartier item as a bonus gift with purchase of the handbag, because it is unclear as to whether you are offering two items from your title.

Warning[/b]

Listings containing inappropriate titles may be ended early by eBay. Multiple violations of eBay's Inappropriate Title Policy could result in the suspension of your account.

ebay policy

• Is it cuz people are blowing up his samples and it's getting him sued? This I can understand.

makingmovesinthereal...

• In all my ebay auctions, I use the following phrase:

"This is the kind of record that jinx74 loves."

I never sell shit.

I think I've pinpointed the possible crux of the matter:

Misleading Titles[/b]

Make sure your title accurately describes only the actual item or items you are offering for sale.

If your title contains a word or phrase that does not seem to belong, make sure it is clear from your description why you included that word or phrase in the title.

If a bidder can't tell what items you are offering from the title of the listing, the title is inappropriate and is not permitted on eBay.

Example[/b]

The title "Louis Vuitton Handbag, Cartier" is inappropriate and not permitted on eBay, even if you are including a Cartier item as a bonus gift with purchase of the handbag, because it is unclear as to whether you are offering two items from your title.

Warning[/b]

Listings containing inappropriate titles may be ended early by eBay. Multiple violations of eBay's Inappropriate Title Policy could result in the suspension of your account.

That actually does clear that up a bit.
    Thanks.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    Is it cuz people are blowing up his samples and it's getting him sued? This I can understand.

makingmovesinthereal...

i wanna know what this real world is urrybody keeps talking about!

• actually... I don't know either

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    He should clear his samples, then holla back to eBay.

• In all my ebay auctions, I use the following phrase:

"This is the kind of record that jinx74 loves."

I never sell shit.

That's because you are trying to pawn off sadat x twelves and jinx pulls those records for false advertisement

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    I think I've pinpointed the possible crux of the matter:

Misleading Titles[/b]

Example[/b]

Warning[/b]

That actually does clear that up a bit.
    Thanks.

cosign. but i stand by my other shit talking.

• cosign. but i stand by my other shit talking.

i'm surprised no one has blown up his ebay name so everyone can outbid him.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    how reliable is this source you heard this from?

I swear, Josh is the Britney Spears of Soulstrut...people are ready to stomp him at the mere mention of his name in a rumor. I think people should kill that noise until some facts come out to corroborate this. If he's truly getting funny with the Ebay business, then people can let him have it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

makingmovesinthereal...

i wanna know what this real world is urrybody keeps talking about!

I've met Mr Davis and he is a real nice guy. He comes across as very modest and embarrased by The Cult Of Josh.

I am oppossed to most "intellectual property rights" laws. I also am oppossed to the idea that a public person has "rights to there name and image". Copywrite laws are covered in the US constitution. Today's copywrite laws(and these other laws) are a perversion of the stated constititional intent.

Sellers should claim that ebay auctions are their artistict medium. Your auction is your art. You are not using his name as such, his name is just one small part of a much larger peice of art.

Dan

• I swear, Josh is the Britney Spears of Soulstrut.

• ^^^^^^^^so fucking wrong man^^^^^^^^^^^

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    ^^^^^^^^so fucking wrong man^^^^^^^^^^^

But so fucking funny.

• If someone's selling a record that Shadow sampled, i don't see how he can, legally, prevent someone from listing it as sampled by DJ Shadow... is this really what he's doing?

Well, legally termed, it's called appropiation - the use of another person's name, likenes or image, without permission, for commericial gain.

Based on the definition, it seems that Josh has a right to prevent that from happening.

To prevent the illegal appropriation of his name while selling the product of his illegal appropriation of someone elses music?

Arguments about substantial similarity and copyright infrigement of the originals he used to construct his own compositions are surely up for debate. But it's not appropriation.

The hell it's not.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

trying to outbid ole JD may end up being a very costly venture.

-k

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

trying to outbid ole JD may end up being a very costly venture.

Plus I'm willing to wager he's got about 800 different ebay handles to make sure this isn't a problem

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    dick riders

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    the return of jinx???

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    dick eaters