Shit Record Nerds Say

2»

Comments

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Are people even buying Brasilian records anymore?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    The record nerd said:
    Oh brother. Hi..I am the guy in the video. Me and my 18 year old kid made the movie because she wanted to try her hand at editing and filming. I have never been in front of a camera before but thought it would be funny to make light of the hobby I have been involved in for going on 30 years..punk record collecting. I didnt set out to make an all encompassing well thought out sketch that is oscar worthy , but to just goof around with my kid . And for the record..I am attempting to portray a character in the video that is not me or anyone I know in real life. So kind critics..eat my balls . And for those of you that were not offended to your very soul by my video..we are actually making a second one ..so haters and lovers ..get your poison pens ready!! ANd Saba dude..quit tryin to internet beef about your New Yorkyness..I wouldnt want to go record shopping with you either..you would probably make me drive and bum money off of me that you have no intention of re-paying.

I thought it was kinda funny, so there's that. Keep havin' fun dude. I found the heroin part and you locking up things you just bought in poly carbonite w/out listening to them particularly on the nose/funny.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Not to single you out, The_record_nerd, but I'm always kinda mystified when long-timers in the record-collecting scene do something related to that culture (write an article, film a video, helm a reissue, whatever), and then get surprised at the attention that their fellow travelers pay to the details.

Because, I mean, not to be reductive, but on a very fundamental level, record collecting is details: it's this record but not that one, that one but not this one, the lp but not the 45, the twelve-inch but not the lp, nothing before x year, nothing after y year, the pink label not the blue, ad infinitum/nauseam. We all do it, we all know that we all do it, and it's thus baffling to me that record dudes who have spent huge stretches of their lives making molecular-level distinctions and amassing mountains of ever-more-minute minutia will trot some project of theirs in front of other record dudes and then berate them for nit-picking. I always want to ask: Well, how did you think this was gonna go? What--you're heated because record collectors are going over your shit with a fine-toothed comb, judging your product based on the little things? This surprises you? "That tiger ain't go crazy--that tiger went tiger!", know what I mean?

I'd agree with The_Non that you should keep havin' fun (dude), but at the same time, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that anything that is not meant to withstand close scrutiny, differing opinions, and/or laundry lists of micro-criticisms probably needs to be kept far, far away from record dudes.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    button said:
    I'd say so. For a few years now, Brazilian records have been a steady go-to for dudes who are "over" soul/funk. I think that along with African records and black gospel records, Brazilian records are the comfort-waist slacks for a certain type of internet-glutted digger.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    james said:

I'd agree with The_Non that you should keep havin' fun (dude), but at the same time, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that anything that is not meant to withstand close scrutiny, differing opinions, and/or laundry lists of micro-criticisms probably needs to be kept far, far away from record dudes.

And off the interwebs.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    button said:

Hell yeah, the prices on the good titles in good condition are through the roof now, if you can even find them.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    james said:

What--you're heated because record collectors are going over your shit with a fine-toothed comb, judging your product based on the little things? This surprises you? "That tiger ain't go crazy--that tiger went tiger!", know what I mean?

Most serious collectors, and maybe especially serious record collectors, are eccentric and idiosyncratic.

When they see themselves being portrayed as such they should look in the mirror before trashing the portrayer.

I actually thought this video was pretty tame and kind to us quirky oddball vinyl fiends.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Dude did something with his kid - cool.
    He incorporated what he loves with what she loves - really cool.
    He parodied something we all know and love, therefore will trash, opine and trash on til the cows come home - fact.

It may not be the kind of collectro person I am, but it also did not portray one person in my life that falls into the record nerd category...and not counting my family, I can count the non-record nerds in my life on one hand. Sad but true.

It didn't ring true for a lot of us, that is all.

Horseleech said:
    button said:

Hell yeah, the prices on the good titles in good condition are through the roof now, if you can even find them.

Well, isn't that something.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    The record nerd said:
    ... ANd Saba dude..quit tryin to internet beef about your New Yorkyness..I wouldnt want to go record shopping with you either..you would probably make me drive and bum money off of me that you have no intention of re-paying.

Wow Record Nerd Guy is that Guy!

• Thank you all for providing some much needed msg board comedy, the heroin part was pretty good, although a heroin addict record nerd could also be dangerous cuz game know game....

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    The record nerd said:
    Oh brother. Hi..I am the guy in the video. Me and my 18 year old kid made the movie because she wanted to try her hand at editing and filming. I have never been in front of a camera before but thought it would be funny to make light of the hobby I have been involved in for going on 30 years..punk record collecting. I didnt set out to make an all encompassing well thought out sketch that is oscar worthy , but to just goof around with my kid . And for the record..I am attempting to portray a character in the video that is not me or anyone I know in real life. So kind critics..eat my balls . And for those of you that were not offended to your very soul by my video..we are actually making a second one ..so haters and lovers ..get your poison pens ready!! ANd Saba dude..quit tryin to internet beef about your New Yorkyness..I wouldnt want to go record shopping with you either..you would probably make me drive and bum money off of me that you have no intention of re-paying.

RAD!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I don't know about most of yall but a lot of the shit dude was saying in the video I've heard and witnessed first hand over the years. This shit rings totally true as far as I'm concerned. FUNNY ASS VIDEO!!!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    When dude gets the package in the mail, tears it open, and files with it with duct tape. I know some folk that do that. I atleast
    enjoy it for a few days. There are some funny moments in that video. Exaggerated at times, but thats the point and fun. There are dudes
    that take this schiit seriously, we all know them and see them at shows or shops. I found humor in this video, with majority of people on weird records suck falling into this total category because I visualize those people as such.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Also, I know its hard to fathom collecting records only made by rock bands, but some people do it. Critics need to recognize the supremely rockist conditions this video was made under (See: bitching about black vinyl). A proto-version of a Things Crate Diggers Say video has already sorta been done (See: serious record collector vid) .

• The record nerd said:
    So kind critics..eat my balls

THIS IS WHAT THE FUCK IS UP IN 2012
    MAD COMEDY