favorite skater?

Comments

• as far as style goes..... Steve Cabellero

I agree that Cabellero was dope, but in regards to style I dont remember him having any. I could be wrong, but I remember him just going huge at everything he did. Remember in the early 90s when Powell Perelta had their national televised big air competition? and he won by getting 13' on the vert ramp? I'll NEVER forget that.

yeah, when i say style though, i mean his style of skateboarding was my fav.

thats all. he's pretty sloppy for the most part, but dude is definitely dude.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    as far as style goes..... Steve Cabellero

Oh, you mean taco neck??

what might be a taco neck to you is style to me sucka.

stop the hatting.

See knewjack's post:

I agree that Cabellero was dope, but in regards to style I dont remember him having any.

Dude, NONE of those Powell riders had style... Gereshon Mosley included. He was always the one we made fun of on the videos, there'd always be a HUGE sweat line from his neck to his ass crack.

• I skated with Penny a bunch when he was visiting us along with the Toy Machine team back in the 90's...dude killed Santa Rosa with some incredible f/s 180 flips and other relaxed madness as usual. Stylewise, Kosten is probably my favorite...but of course I got to give it up for Mullen, Lil Stevie, Carroll, Marcus McBride, Donny Barley, Huf, etc.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    graceful

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Penny's style was sick. I remember having his Flip - Magic Mushroom deck at one point.

• Drewn, Lance Mountain had and still has style. Best believe it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The Black Label team has a great style - fast, dirty and loose.

Joe Valdez's part in Trasher's Timebomb is

But, my fave is Tony Trujillo.

King Diamond make-up!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Dopest skate style award for me goes to Tom Penny.

Cosign!!! Dude barely even practiced. Best natural talent out there. He'd skate an hour a day and fill more footage than anybody else could in a month. Then he disappeared.

I'm gonna have to also go with Josh Kalis for teaching me backside tailslides at the art institute of Chicago. I was a lil ripper back in those days and he and the rest of the older locals were super cool with me. Jesse Neuhaus, Nate Lyons, Mike Rysyck, all killer skaters and super cool for sure.

Mike Carrol was the first pro I ever saw at the old EMB in SF back in 92. Dude's pretty ill for sure.

Damn, now I want to go skate... it's been too long.

DJ Ferrari

PS - Koston's a dick.

• alright time post some of your local fav's

For DC/MD, it would have to be Bucky Lasek, Andy Stone, Reese Forbes, Pepe and the whole ECRW team.

Who are your local fav's?

• yeah, i used to skate years ago, back in the heyday of shadyskates(pittsburgh heads know the deal). i even won a few competitions. but i fell off man, havent skated in years

i actually skated with jon julio one time when he was at shadyskates

I used to skate as well man, round Northern VA, MD mostly. I never went pro cause I just wasn't consistent enough but I could pull my share of tricks. Skated mostly with Matt Gallahger, Brendan Fischer, Ryan Vann, Jeff Loredo and Bob Lewis. Did you skate any of the NISS comps way back in the day?

David Buchanan, Brent Jordan, Justin Bokma and Dan Bochart.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    as for style back in the days, hosoi was killin it. my favs from back then was ray barbie, jason lee, the gonz, neil blender, jon lucero. still goin strong favs are mike vallely, danny way & maybe shiloh greathouse. too many new names to keep track of nowadays...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    huy lee, danny minnick, joey bast. leigh peterson was a fucking doosh.
    anyone wondering what happened to tom penny? here's a clue...

huy lee, danny minnick, joey bast. leigh peterson was a fucking doosh.

he got a pre-paid Amex gold and didn't have to worry about skating for cash ever again?

• I used to skate as well man, round Northern VA, MD mostly.

hey NK, did you ever sk8 the Cedar Crest half pipe in Centreville VA. Thats where all the heads skated back in 89-93. Incredible memories from that place.

peas.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I used to skate as well man, round Northern VA, MD mostly.

hey NK, did you ever sk8 the Cedar Crest half pipe in Centreville VA. Thats where all the heads skated back in 89-93. Incredible memories from that place.

peas.

Yo, I was there! ...east coast skates, the sushine house!

• I used to skate as well man, round Northern VA, MD mostly.

peas.

Nope, I skated this decent half pipe which was actually in the woods just off that main bike trail in Reston (WO&D maybe?).....parkwise I hit Silver Spring now and then, but I was more into the street scene. Most intresting spot would have to be Wolftrap Elementry school, longest lowest kinked rail ever, and it decended down into a huge bamboo forest.

Daaamn...for real? I knew he was a straight up "pot head" way back when. Early enough for me to be like "why would anybody want to do drugs??" But I didn't know he went out like that.

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    matt heinsley

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Man, no one is gonna mention Cardiel? Him dropping in from the backside wall of Burnside (over 20 feet, through gravel and rocks) is proof enough. But it's all about the finger poses for me:

Cardiel is seriously rugged. Dude wasn't supposed to ever walk again, plus he made a video called "Fucktards" which features him projectile vomitting in some girl's kitchen.
    Punk rock points=10.

But I gotta give it up to my man Chuck (r.i.p.), who was the freshest around.

• Satva Leung.

note: even though I don't know crap about skating, he's a homie and I guess people have told me his dope or something. All I know he's a good dude and a swell dj

• chrischris 287 Posts
    cab had scoliosis -- that's why he was always rocking the cocked neck.

• wihlsunwihlsun 63 Posts
    Dan Drehobl
    HUF
    Gino Iannucci

Matt Hennsley/Gonz for the legends category.
    I've been skating for 10 years & everyday is better than the last!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Daaamn...for real? I knew he was a straight up "pot head" way back when. Early enough for me to be like "why would anybody want to do drugs??" But I didn't know he went out like that.

HOLY SHIT!!! when we were 17 we used to smoke/come down round at this guy's house who was renting a room in Tom's mum's house. Penny was about 13 and super tiny-skinny-80lb wimp. Anyway, long story short, we would chat to him quite a bit and at some point my mate sold him his first pill. Said mate caught a shit storm from the rest of us but I guess the damage was done I'm only funnin coz I know Penny was getting his pot from other peeps already. They just start younger and younger don't they.

cab had scoliosis -- that's why he was always rocking the cocked neck.

My bad!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• Dopest skate style award for me goes to Tom Penny.

when flip first came to the US they did a tour. at the very first southside park in houston he did the most insane frontside 360 flip(body turning too) that i have ever seen over this steep ass pyramid. he is a great.

powell dudes with mariano, diaz, r. johnson, gabriel rodriquez, jovante turner, salman agah, colin mckay, danny way, i'm sure theres a few others.

i thought i already posted to this thread but i like koston, darrell stanton, guru khalsa, danny montoya and my homies i ride with anthony correa, wayne patrick, mike holloway, rob fields, travis sales.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Back in the day ... Christian Hosoi. Saw him bomb drop into a vert ramp from 8 feet above the coping in like '85. No Danny Way helicopter drop but it was ridiculous to watch nevertheless.

These days ... Brian Anderson (gotta rep CT). Also Marc Johnson kills it on street.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    yes i have too much time on my hands but...

one day i was playing tony hawk on the PS2 an i noticed they actually had the ability to make your own characters, AND they had brown skin AND they had thick glasses AND hats. so naturally i tweaked it to make a character look like me. my brother played the game and was like WTF????! there's a character that's your split image how the phuck?

• MARKOVICH?!