What happened to NOT being a cheesy corporate bitch?

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
In a supposedly indie age with no need for distribution or mainstream media to break out and be a real success

Why is there no one out there with the balls to look corporate America in the eye and say FUCK YOU ?

FUCK YOU APPLE

FUCK YOU STEVE JOBS

FUCK YOU ABC CBS NBC FOX

FUCK YOU NEWS CORP

FUCK YOU TARGET WALL-MART AND STARBUCKS

FUCK YOU TWITTER AND FACEBOOK

FUCK YOU AND YOUR INOFFENSIVE PC SENSIBILITIES

Will there ever be anything seriously controversial and deep with some reach out there ever again?

Something that doesn't have, or hope to have, corporate dick all the way down its throat?

Did the bad guys really win?

What is the rawest, most offensive, brilliant, intelligent shit out there in the pop culture landscape today?

Comments

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    staxwax said:

FUCK YOU STEVE JOBS

??

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    tabira said:
    staxwax said:

FUCK YOU STEVE JOBS

??

Seriously - this was the closest thing to spontaneous corporate deification I have ever had the displeasure of witnessing.

Who invented your refrigerator? did they wear a turtleneck? do you want to read their biography? fuck that shit

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Im sorry...has your outrage not yet been comodified?
    Try blogging abuot it. That shoudl help.

And to answer your question, no, there is no one left to stand up to the man

13 SongsFugaziView More By This Artist
    Open iTunes to preview, buy, and download music.
    . Name Artist Time Price
    Waiting Room Fugazi 2:53 $0.99 View In iTunes
    Bulldog Front Fugazi 2:53 $0.99 View In iTunes
    Bad Mouth Fugazi 2:35 $0.99 View In iTunes
    Burning Fugazi 2:39 $0.99 View In iTunes
    Give Me the Cure Fugazi 2:58 $0.99 View In iTunes
    Suggestion Fugazi 4:44 $0.99 View In iTunes
    Glue Man Fugazi 4:23 $0.99 View In iTunes
    Margin Walker Fugazi 2:30 $0.99 View In iTunes
    And the Same Fugazi 3:27 $0.99 View In iTunes
    Burning Too Fugazi 2:50 $0.99 View In iTunes
    Provisional Fugazi 2:17 $0.99 View In iTunes
    Lockdown Fugazi 2:10 $0.99 View In iTunes
    Promises Fugazi 4:02 $0.99 View In iTunes

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Will there ever be anything seriously controversial and deep with some reach out there ever again?

Hard to imagine getting any deeper than this. I haven't felt this real since I was two blunts deep in a sidewalk cipher during my sophomore year of college -- after a Business 102 class, natch.

At least Steve Jobs was coherent.

• raw + offensive + brilliant + intelligent is a pretty tall order for something in popular / mainstream culture.

Just wondering what ( if anything ) in pop culture's past would fit this bill.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    staxwax said:

What is the rawest, most offensive, brilliant, intelligent shit out there in the pop culture landscape today?
    Goldman Sachs

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    staxwax said:
    tabira said:
    staxwax said:

FUCK YOU STEVE JOBS

??

Seriously - this was the closest thing to spontaneous corporate deification I have ever had the displeasure of witnessing.

Who invented your refrigerator? did they wear a turtleneck? do you want to read their biography? fuck that shit

the guy's dead. Focus your energies on the living, and preferably on the evil. I would rather say "Fuck you Assad" for example

TheKindCromang said:
    raw + offensive + brilliant + intelligent is a pretty tall order for something in popular / mainstream culture.

Just wondering what ( if anything ) in pop culture's past would fit this bill.

Reynaldo said:
    staxwax said:

Goldman Sachs

exactly

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    staxwax said:

i mean...not really but

tabira said:
    staxwax said:
    tabira said:
    staxwax said:

FUCK YOU STEVE JOBS

??

the guy's dead. Focus your energies on the living, and preferably on the evil. I would rather say "Fuck you Assad" for example

you sound brainwashed. think different

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    staxwax said:

:oh_my:

FortyFivan said:
    staxwax said:

:oh_my:

dude...

• staxwax said:
    tabira said:
    staxwax said:

FUCK YOU STEVE JOBS

??

B-b-b-ut Steve Jobs changed the entire way we look at computing!

b/w I wrote this using a a Mac.

• My revolutionary fervor is proportionate to my net worth. I feel a bit meh about it all right now......but later.

pimlicosquirrel said:
    My revolutionary fervor is proportionate to my net worth. I feel a bit meh about it all right now......but later.

Whatevs man. Not even talmbout revolutionary per se - just balls, real dissent.

I feel sorry for kids growing up on american idol and x factor. im sure theres some gg allin hiding away somewhere but damn.

The only edge in popular music nowadays is rape rap in a supreme beenie or some plastic slut talmbout getting her salad tossed?

Were going to admire artists for their fashion choices? Obscure faux gender politics wrapped in a bikini. Really?

Growing up i became more politicized by listening to PE or the Clash or even the Police than from any class I ever took.

Wheres the relevant major pop artist saying Fuck The War! Fuck the Mall! Kill your TV!

Do they even exist anymore? thats what I want to know

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    staxwax said:
    tabira said:
    staxwax said:
    tabira said:
    staxwax said:

FUCK YOU STEVE JOBS

??

It's you who's not thinking dfferently. The rage against the machine type anti govt/corportate music thing has been done '67-83. It got mediocre results. These guys think differently. Instead of waving their fists they pull their media weight to lobby from within the system and with issuses ranging from humanitarian intervention in Darfur, through Aids prevention in Africa to debt reduction in developing countries, they have been more coherent and got better results than the Clash or John Lennon ever did.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    What's missing is a musical anthem to accompany those efforts. But i think you are right in saying efforts are more and more done from within the system. It's institutionalised. Don't know if that's a good thing tho, it feels a bit like embedded journalism.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    leon said:
    What's missing is a musical anthem to accompany those efforts. But I think you are right in saying efforts are more and more done from within the system. It's institutionalised. Don't know if that's a good thing tho, it feels a bit like embedded journalism.
    I agree with most of what you say. I'm all for the anthems but with the intelligent lobbying alongside it. Regarding embedded journalism recently I've been pretty heartened by what's been going on in the UK, What with the Guardian spilling the beans on Murdock/Govt collusion, the Telegraph breaking the expenses scandal and now the school exams scandal. It seems like investigative journalism is on the way back.

This has nothing to do with what im talking about - no 18 yr old is fucking with annie lennox clooney or bono. Besides, raising money for aids is not rebel music flying in the face of the establishment, neither is 'achieving results'. How the guardian has anything to do with pop is beyond me. And U2 pretty much had their card pulled for moving all their money out of struggling ireland for tax benefits. Rage against the machine have always been weak sauce. Its been embedded? Really? Im happy for you guys tho. Evidently youll be able to rock out with your cock out while george clooney is advertising nespresso. Nah son.

Tabira no offense but you sound hella conformist. Im sure youll get to watch assad get smoked on your ipad2 once president gingrich invades iraq. All is not well.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    ?? 1999-2012 Soul Strut, Inc.

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    "the most intellectual thing one can do in these times is just being anti-intellectual"

doisn said:
    "the most intellectual thing one can do in these times is just being anti-intellectual"
    Cop out mentality. Besides being utter horseshit.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    staxwax said:
    , raising money for aids is not rebel music flying in the face of the establishment, neither is 'achieving results'.

Serious question: are you saying that you don't want to produce positive change, but are simply looking to be anti- for the sake of being anti-?

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    staxwax said:
    This has nothing to do with what im talking about - no 18 yr old is fucking with annie lennox clooney or bono. Besides, raising money for aids is not rebel music flying in the face of the establishment, neither is 'achieving results'. How the guardian has anything to do with pop is beyond me. And U2 pretty much had their card pulled for moving all their money out of struggling ireland for tax benefits. Rage against the machine have always been weak sauce. Its been embedded? Really? Im happy for you guys tho. Evidently youll be able to rock out with your cock out while george clooney is advertising nespresso. Nah son.

Tabira no offense but you sound hella conformist. Im sure youll get to watch assad get smoked on your ipad2 once president gingrich invades iraq. All is not well.

I probably do sound conformist to you. You sound conformist to me, or rather the kind of movements that you hark back to were always in my view highly conformist. Conformist that is in their parochial and totalist rejection of all of the establishment. I don't care where anyone places me on the political spectrum, I just refuse to be hostage to any "movement" that can't engage with what is good whilst wanting to replace what is bad. I would sincerely love to see Assad toppled in the same way that Gaddafi was and that's not going to change just because it was a middle aged white republican who sponsored it.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    staxwax said:
    , raising money for aids is not rebel music flying in the face of the establishment, neither is 'achieving results'.

Serious question: are you saying that you don't want to produce positive change, but are simply looking to be anti- for the sake of being anti-?

The problem with people who produce positive change is that they sometimes have to compromise with people who have any sort of resources or power to make that change happen. Fucking sellouts.

DB_Cooper said:
    staxwax said:

No - in my opinion it is not the artists responsibility to be a successful charity figurehead - the yardstick for artistic achievement isnt how much money did they raise for X or how many government leaders did they meet - i dont give a fuck what they do for charity - its about the music and what it stands for. When you listen to Marley you dont think - 'wow he did so much for breast cancer'.

Its a barren, corporate and conformist landscape at the moment.

For example - I honestly dont give a shit about Chuck Ds personal politics or what his actual political activities are - shit - I dont even know if Elvis really was a racist and i dont care - but I'll stand up and salute when they play Fight The Power because of its power and what it signifies. They never kissed ass for airplay or mainstream endorsements. Still I'm convinced without a group like PE and their influence you wouldn't have had Obama in the White House today.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I suggest exercise.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Fight The Power
    My copy of this is on Def Jam/Columbia/Sony.