What's for dinner?

AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
what is everyone making at home?

i keep making spicy coconut curry butternut squash soup with roasted pepitas and crumbled goat cheese.
giant arugula salads are what i'd make if there were not a hungry man with a bad cold in the house.
what are yoou making?

Comments

• A cold smoked mackerel, boiled potatoes and beer.

• Bbq sockeye salmon
    Orzo
    Haricot vert

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Probably rock some pizza bagels. Got some mutligrain joints from the awesome spot in my neighborhood, and I have a red sauce, some pesto, marinated mozzarella, Danish bleu, walnuts, hot sauce, and chicken, so I might do a buffalo bleu cheese half and a mozz/red sauce/walnut/dabs of pesto half.

And Yvette's making brisket.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Terrible rainy day here and I'm getting over a cold. So, soup with the last of the chard, karela and scotchbonnets. Heavy on the turmeric, cumin and fenugreek.
    Will probably have smoked herring on toast while I wait on the soup.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Yesterday I had a roast with red curry, coconut milk, sweet potatoes and onions in the crock pot all day.

• Broiled oysters (which I harvested myself) w/pesto and homemade hot sauce, and arugula/romaine salad.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Tonight? Stir fried pork and kim chee. Put it on a huge bowl of rice and it is a great dinner.

• DB_Cooper said:

You're mishpocha now!

Making cream of turnip soup and a salad on the side, yawn, I know.

• lentil soup with a little bit of chorizo and a ground bison patty

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Spaghetti with meat sauce.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    After 2 days of turkey and pie my true love made lasagna and cookies.

I am eating salad lunch and dinner every day this week.
    I posted the roasted beet salad recipe already.
    Each day it gets simpler.
    Lunch today was just lettuce, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt. with a few crackers and slice of cheddar on the side.

But all those soups sound great. Soup next week.

For our friends, in 2 weeks, we are making tamales.
    I will smoke turkey thighs with a Mexican pork rub/brine.
    Tamales are a big production, but a lot of fun.

• TACO TUESDAY MF'ers!!??!!

except im going to the mexican spot [el trompo in kensington market] to have THEM make it. dishes can suck it.

might get my swerve on with a michelada or seven too.

ol??.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

Delicious when served hot.

Last night was sea bass steamed en papillote. Tonight will probably just be some of last week's batch of bolognese over whatever pasta we've got in the house. Keepin' it simple this week.

• i love how no matter what day you ask, ain't none of you are gonna admit you're eating sandwiches..... unless we're talkin' SANDWICHES. how you gonna front like you never reheat some dominos and kick back with some according to jim?

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Today was the last day of visiting in-laws so they invited us to the nearest greek spot. I had some lamb souvlaki, shepherd's salad and a couple of beers. Simple, delicious and no cooking for me tonight.
    Tomorrows dinner will be simple as well: Roasted Nuremberg-Style Bratwurst, mashed potatos and Sauerkraut. It can't get any more german than that, but that's kinda necessary after having vietnamese springrolls, halloumi sandwiches, schwarma, turkish paunch soup and fajitas in the last couple of days.

vintageinfants said:
    i love how no matter what day you ask, ain't none of you are gonna admit you're eating sandwiches..... unless we're talkin' SANDWICHES. how you gonna front like you never reheat some dominos and kick back with some according to jim?

I ate a B??nh m?? sandwich for lunch today! However, I would NEVER eat Domino's pizza or watch a corny network sitcom.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Smoked Short ribs in a stout braise with mash potatoes and broccolini.

batmon said:

I'm going to Batmon's place for dinner!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I'm re-heating Vietnamese take-out.
    I'm no cook.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Butterflied garlic sausage (broiled) & bacon sandwich with cabbage/parsley slaw and melted asiago cheese on a ciabatta roll. With apple / feta green salad.

• Celeste Pizza. Still haven't decided on the flavor I want.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I made some empanadas. Or spicy pasties, as should really be called round our way.

• batmon said:

What stout are you using? I had some leftover imperial stout that went flat in a growler and I ruined some short ribs in it, they ended up with a really bitter aftertaste. Maybe because it was an imperial stout and not a regular.

Garcia_Vega said:
    batmon said:

What stout are you using? I had some leftover imperial stout that went flat in a growler and I ruined some short ribs in it, they ended up with a really bitter aftertaste. Maybe because it was an imperial stout and not a regular.

One bottle of Ale and three cans. of Murphys.

I smoked the short ribs, then made a "sofrito", then added the stout and threw the shit in the oven for about 2 hrs at like 275.

Took out the ribs, strained the remaining sauce, and added the ribs back into the pot.

A neighbor smelled the Hickory smoke and called the damn Fire dept. They didnt have any beef with me but the fake ass sheriff of the building was on some hatting shit. Other folks have bbq in the courtyard but they arent smoking so i can understand if they think shit is burning.
    But this batch looked outside and saw an unmanned grill and still fuckin called the dept. Some ole bullshit.

What do country/ suburban folks do? If your neighbor is smoking a brisket nex door do you call the FD cause u smell smoke?
    I was 10 feet away from my building...WTF?

• batmon said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    batmon said:

I smoked the short ribs, then made a "sofrito", then added the stout and threw the shit in the oven for about 2 hrs at like 275.

Took out the ribs, strained the remaining sauce, and added the ribs back into the pot.

A neighbor smelled the Hickory smoke and called the damn Fire dept. They didnt have any beef with me but the fake ass sheriff of the building was on some hatting shit. Other folks have bbq in the courtyard but they arent smoking so i can understand if they think shit is burning.
    But this batch looked outside and saw an unmanned grill and still fuckin called the dept. Some ole bullshit.

What do country/ suburban folks do? If your neighbor is smoking a brisket nex door do you call the FD cause u smell smoke?

Damn dude that's 60oz of liquid in there, that's more a stew than it is a braise!

Sucks they called the FD on you. I have my smoker in the backyard, and *knock on wood* no one has ever called the FD on me. When I first got a grill I didn't know better and used some real cheap charcoal that created a lot of grey smoke, some lady a few doors down complained because she had her windows open and her smoke alarm went off. Another time the next door neighbor complained because she also had her windows open and her whole house smelled like hickory and pork. I made her a small plate and her annoyance went from 10 to 0. I think I remember Sween saying that open fire pits were illegal, but if they were closed things were fine, so technically smokers were ok.

Garcia_Vega said:
    batmon said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    batmon said:

Damn dude that's 60oz of liquid in there, that's more a stew than it is a braise!

Yeah but I took out the meat after a while and boiled the liquid down afterwards.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    batmon said:

Nope, we just hope for an invite.

• You guys are over my heads with veggies I've never heard of
    and the yankee sounding soups.

DEEP SOUTH REPREZENT ZENT-
    Smothered bone in pork chops w/ rice-n-gravy.
    Mustard greens w/ham hock.
    Black eyed peas.
    Peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream.

vinylstalker said:

DEEP SOUTH REPREZENT ZENT-
    Smothered bone in pork chops w/ rice-n-gravy.
    Mustard greens w/ham hock.
    Black eyed peas.
    Peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream.

That sounds GREAT! I would tear up a big plate of all that right now.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I'm going to wait around for someone to make something.