Good Riddance, Frankie

1235»

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    button said:
    Also, whatever happened to Bob Desperado?

Frankie's old alias.... Mind you I have banned him two times already after this thread started.

He uses a proxy server from Saskatchewan.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    RAJ said:
    button said:

Frankie's old alias.... Mind you I have banned him two times already after this thread started.

This is as good a place as any to ask: what's the deal with proxy servers? Is that something he had to specifically set up himself? Knowledge me, Soultrust.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I know no details, but it is a way to keep your online activity from being tracked to your computer.

Or in this case a way to be anonymous.

• FlyAGregKite said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    RAJ said:
    button said:

This is as good a place as any to ask: what's the deal with proxy servers? Is that something he had to specifically set up himself? Knowledge me, Soultrust.

There are hundreds of free proxy servers available. Lots of people use them at work to get around bans employers place on going to certain websites. Basically they're just anonymous browsers anyone can use, and it couldn't be easier.

dude, get help.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It's an intermediary server connecting a computer to the internet while it prevents said computer's identification from being detected.

You want to score from Jenny (troll on SStrut) but don't want Jenny to know who you are because you misused her love and she would never sell to you. You ask Tim (proxy server) to buy the eighth for you (connect you to the internet) and because Jenny has no issues with Tim (who brings her a lot of business) and because she generally values anonymity, she doesn't question the who, why or what of the sale (internet connection).

Proxy servers were instrumental in Iran's Green/Twitter Revolution a few summers back.