Why are there no female DJs on DJ Mag's top 100 list?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:

have i seen a woman do that 200 45s in an hour Kid Capri shit...no

How many men have you seen do that?

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    neil_something said:
    Murdock said:
    Can anyone name a female DJ who should be on a top 100 list?
    Maya Jane Coles

Good producer -> YES
    Good Dj -> meh

• I prefer her productions to her dj'ing also.

However, she is still better than the majority of the DJ Mag list and therefore worthy of inclusion.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Horrible Music

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Judging by some of the names mentioned below the line in the usual flurry of Guardian music blog whataboutery, some of the people posting haven't seen the inside of a club in about 20 years. Lottie? Smokin' Jo? Fucking hell, Khemistry and Storm got mentioned twice, and Kemi's been dead for 15 years.

I went to a dancehall soundclash here in Berlin a few months ago where all the DJs & MCs were women. I had a great time. The last female DJ I heard spin in a club prior to that was Cooly G about a year ago, and she was well good. The better female DJs I've heard tend to be less hung up on "skillz" and more concerned with creating a good vibe. Not to say any of them were short on technical ability - quite the opposite usually. It's just that you never get the impression they're interested in the pissing-contest aspects of DJing.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Always thought Heather is good, also DJ Rehka can rock a party bhangra stylee.

DocMcCoy said:
    tend to be less hung up on "skillz" and more concerned with creating a good vibe.

Yeah, just to be clear when I refered to skills earlier in the context of djing I'm referring to mix, selection, crowd reading, etc... I could care less about turntablism especially in the context of a club.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    In all my years, I have known plenty of female DJ's. Many great, most good and a quite few that shouldn't be DJ's. The realities are, that on a whole if you take into account the fact that the men to female ratio of DJ's is probably 100-1 (Maybe even 1000-1) it all works out the same. Many great, most good and quite a few that shouldn't be DJ's.

But the truth is women and men DJ's are never put on the same standard.

A guy DJing it will only come down to this. Is he any good and can he rock the party?

A female DJ and all of a sudden, sex and looks becomes just as much a part of the topic as is she any good.

Since Montreal was brought up. Off the top of my head I think of Killa Jewel. Pretty good skillz. Can rock a party. But take a look at the comments on her youtube vidz. 99% of the comments are about her tits.

I've known a few female DJ's who have gotten out of DJing, due to never being treated the same as men. Which is a shame really. Because in the beginning of when they get interested in records and djing, the passion is just as strong as any guy I've known when they were first getting into it.

On the UK mag thing... Didn't the UK going through a thing a few years back, where there were plenty of females represented? Like DJ Rap?

• DocMcCoy said:
    you never get the impression they're interested in the pissing-contest aspects of DJing.

i'd imagine it's THIS X about a million!

probably why you rarely see women on a 'greatest guitarist' list.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Murdock said:

Shortee

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Murdock said:

Shortee

Beat me to it.

• stratasphere said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Murdock said:

Shortee

Beat me to it.

If you're gonna bring tricks into the picture, than im sorry to say, but by "turntablist" (ughhhh...) standards, this is pretty tame.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    bassie said:
    ost said:
    I have yet to run in to a single female dj I know digging anywhere.

!!!!!

where do you live??

for what it's worth, the best record store/digging spot i ever went to montreal i was brought to by a montreal female DJ who i met on here... she doesn't post here anymore... furniture/junk store spot way west of downtown that has since closed down...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    StoneHands said:
    stratasphere said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Murdock said:

Shortee

Beat me to it.

If you're gonna bring tricks into the picture, than im sorry to say, but by "turntablist" (ughhhh...) standards, this is pretty tame.

Who you calling a trick?! ;)

And I agree--pretty weak video. At least this one is bettererer.

elise said:
    StoneHands said:
    stratasphere said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Murdock said:

Shortee

Beat me to it.

Yeah she has some better routines on the tube. I posted that one because it was my introduction to Shortee when I looked her up on Youtube after I started my account in '08.

elise said:
    StoneHands said:
    stratasphere said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Murdock said:

Shortee

Beat me to it.

Yeah she has some better routines on the tube, but this was my introduction to Shortee in '08.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Do Y'all Party?

Yeah seriously.
    EDIT: A dj should be able to mix & select first & foremost. Juggling is more of a novelty imo.

ost said:
    Juggling is more of a novelty imo.

And super-irritating if you are trying to get your dance on.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    That juggling clip is from a DJ instructional video that Shortee did--she was demonstrating a beat juggle. She doesn't do that in club sets unless she's specifically asked to (and yes, she's a tremendous club DJ).

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    bassie said:
    ost said:
    Juggling is more of a novelty imo.

And super-irritating if you are trying to get your dance on.

this.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Murdock said:

Yes. Annie Mac. No question.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    That juggling clip is from a DJ instructional video that Shortee did--she was demonstrating a beat juggle. She doesn't do that in club sets unless she's specifically asked to (and yes, she's a tremendous club DJ).

I definitely wasn't trying to hatt, just thought it was weird to post that video of all the videos of her.

• "DJ SHORTEE: The World's Premier Female DJ!"

straight off her website. demonstrates the problem with this subject perfectly.

StoneHands said:
    "DJ SHORTEE: The World's Premier Female DJ!"

Yes.

On a personal note:

The stuff that happens in the field is whatever. I am up there doing what I do, so that creates enough of a divide to be able to swiftly stop BS in its tracks and/or remove people from my proximity. Either you like what/how I'm playing or not. That's all that I care about rep'ing me.
    The scene/boys' club stuff is way more prevalent and "hurtful"/insulting/frustrating in my opinion. There are guys I have known for years; we came up together, bought records together, love the same music, I can stand shoulder to shoulder with them as far as playing goes, etc. but I will never be part of that inner circle - and there are definite circles. It used to really bug me - and it took a while to get over it - but I realized that I can't let that shit ruin what I love. The music is more important.

bassie said:
    StoneHands said:
    "DJ SHORTEE: The World's Premier Female DJ!"

Yes.

On a personal note:

The stuff that happens in the field is whatever. I am up there doing what I do, so that creates enough of a divide to be able to swiftly stop BS in its tracks and/or remove people from my proximity. Either you like what/how I'm playing or not. That's all that I care about rep'ing me.
    The scene/boys' club stuff is way more prevalent and "hurtful"/insulting/frustrating in my opinion. There are guys I have known for years; we came up together, bought records together, love the same music, I can stand shoulder to shoulder with them as far as playing goes, etc. but I will never be part of that inner circle - and there are definite circles. It used to really bug me - and it took a while to get over it - but I realized that I can't let that shit ruin what I love. The music is more important.
    ouch ... good old boys club revealed

lol - it's cool. I just had the 10th anniversary of my night where I play what I want, have the guests I want - a lot of whom ask to play the night - and I am as happy as a non-specific gender DJ can be!

Edit - To be clear, my night is not some huge raging party. It's a really chill night akin to a basement record party with friends.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    lol - it's cool. I just had the 10th anniversary of my night where I play what I want, have the guests I want - a lot of whom ask to play the night - and I am as happy as a non-specific gender DJ can be!

Edit - To be clear, my night is not some huge raging party. It's a really chill night akin to a basement record party with friends.

"Your BPMs are way off."

Cosmo said:
    Murdock said:

Yes. Annie Mac. No question.

Thanks, I'll check her out ...