Why are there no female DJs on DJ Mag's top 100 list?

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
I won't lie, it makes me cringe to my core to read about DJing with CDs, but here it is anyway...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/oct/28/female-dj-mag-top-100

I have no idea how "important" a magazine or a list this is.

Comments

• Boys aren't better at DJing than girls. We don't DJ with our vaginas.
    Outside of of main room, mainstream pop/dance music I'm not sure anyone really cares about this list. If David Guetta and Ti??sto are benchmarks of quality I would suggest that many would prefer not to be included on the same list... [/snobbery]

Sitll, it doesn't really explain why women can't break into this club.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    bassie said:
    I won't lie, it makes me cringe to my core to read about DJing with CDs, but here it is anyway...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/oct/28/female-dj-mag-top-100

I have no idea how "important" a magazine or a list this is.

"the list is voted for by the public every year."

I think the issue goes beyond DJ Mag.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    There aren't many female dj's, period. In Austin, if I were to rate the top dj's, there's only one single woman that would even qualify and she probably wouldn't even break the top20. I wish there were more female dj's though, and I'd be happy to rate them as high as their skills/etc would warrant.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I don't really have a diatribe in this realm. Women get a lot of stupid sexist shit in almost of every aspect of life, not sure why folks expect better from the music/DJ world.

The most marked difference for me from when I first started to play out is that I hear "oh it's so cool you're female DJ", or a variation thereof, about five times a year as opposed to every time I play.

And while I can see why going all-female might be necessary/ideal in some situations, I loathe it for DJing. If you don't want to be judged on your bits when it comes to playing records, then don't highlight them.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    bassie said:
    If you don't want to be judged on your bits when it comes to playing records, then don't highlight them.

So, none of this (:48)?

• the number one funk/soul/latin dj in our city is female

DB_Cooper said:
    bassie said:
    If you don't want to be judged on your bits when it comes to playing records, then don't highlight them.

no YouTube - is it Sasha Grey? :/

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    It's the DJ scene from Fear of a Black Hat.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Wasnt Beverley Bond the hot shit a minute ago?

There are plenty of good female djs in the NYC area.

i dont know how one comes up with any form of measurement to create a TOP list when it comes to DJing.

batmon said:

There are plenty of good female djs in the NYC area.

Yea - Toronto, too.

I hatt being groped in the booth.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    She's seriously claiming that the heaviness of records was a barrier for women DJs?

That's not likely to engender respect.

Reynaldo said:
    She's seriously claiming that the heaviness of records was a barrier for women DJs?

That's not likely to engender respect.

I didn't even take that seriously. I mean, I HOPE she's not being serious! Otherwise, she part of the problem.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's worth noting that most professions are segregated by sex - it's rare to find that many jobs where there's a relatively equal balance of men and women, doing the same work, at the same level. And the predominance of one sex in any profession often acts as a social/psychological barrier for the opposite sex to pursue, which is to say nothing of more explicit practices of exclusion that may exist.

With DJing - the profession has always been dominated by men and not just that, but it's a craft largely dependent on men mentoring other men. I can't say this for certain but I'm willing to bet most female DJs are also mentored by male DJs - but not other female DJs. All these things influence the relatively low number of women involved in DJing (and many other musical communities for that matter).

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    bassie said:

Ha! I was just talking about this scene the other day. Classic.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    bassie said:
    I don't really have a diatribe in this realm. Women get a lot of stupid sexist shit in almost of every aspect of life, not sure why folks expect better from the music/DJ world.

The most marked difference for me from when I first started to play out is that I hear "oh it's so cool you're female DJ", or a variation thereof, about five times a year as opposed to every time I play.

This schitt got real old to me and kinda why I decided to just stick to buying records for myself and for personal fun. I remember getting, "How did you learn about this stuff?" Really? With mah brainz.

From the looks of this list, Tiesto is number 3 on the list--I ain't upset. I am not into those types anyways. Maybe it's different in the Bay Area, but there definitely are some talented (and purdy) ladies who play records here and get respect. Sweaterfunk is a great example.

One of my girls from back in the day is killing it in Berlin and is on some other list of best DJ's. I just think this list sucks and couldn't care less who is zee best.

I used to be offended, but I just figure nincompoops will be nincompoops.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Can anyone name a female DJ who should be on a top 100 list?

Probably a barrel of them if we use the measuring stick of selections, technique, ramming a room and making them go ham, but the list doesn't exist in a vacuum....if promoters don't book them, people don't hear them and they don't make it on to lists such as these.

But apparently the author should!

F*ck it - I think Mel Boogie and Tasha Rozes could both stand to be in the top 20.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Murdock said:

NO.
    ---
    From my experience female dj's usually get more respect simply for being females despite usually lacking skills & selection. It feels like a case of lowered standards. It reminds me of b-girls & female graffiti writers getting more respect with inferior skills.
    This is not to say that there aren't females that have skills in any of the aforementioned realms.
    There's usually only one good male dj for every 20 bad or mediocre ones & since there aren't many female dj's it becomes even harder for them.
    Another thing is that I regularly bump in to most of the male dj's I know while digging, but I have yet to run in to a single female dj I know digging anywhere.
    my 2cents

ost said:
    I have yet to run in to a single female dj I know digging anywhere.

!!!!!

where do you live??

--------------

Ooops - missed that.

I am surprised.

Its all a bunch of bullshit. I remember reading MUZIK magazine bitd and they would highlight all these big room club djs. Giving them interviews and shit. Its cool, but its ONE realm of DJing. ONE. There are countless gigs out there that many folks work. And those folks have followings as well.

Ive seen more wack dudes than Ive seen wack women.

bassie said:
    Ooops - missed that.

I am surprised.

Me too, it's not like there's a reason why dj'ing would not appeal to women. It might just be an inherent male vs female trait. Who knows.
    I'll check out the two that you mentioned.

Definitely, those types of lists tend to be a popularity contest.

ost said:
    It might just be an inherent male vs female trait.

nah

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    batmon said:
    Its all a bunch of bullshit. I remember reading MUZIK magazine bitd and they would highlight all these big room club djs. Giving them interviews and shit. Its cool, but its ONE realm of DJing. ONE. There are countless gigs out there that many folks work. And those folks have followings as well.

But have you ever seen a Great Woman DJ?

• Murdock said:
    Maya Jane Coles

Murdock said:
    batmon said:

But have you ever seen a Great Woman DJ?

Have i seen a women rock the fuck out of a party. yes.
    have i seen a woman do that 200 45s in an hour Kid Capri shit...no

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    neil_something said:
    Murdock said:
    Maya Jane Coles

I thought her RA mix was terrible. She makes pretty good tracks though. Meh, different strokes...