Your 3 fave 80's films..

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,098 Posts
    Bloodsport

• Back to the future. Empire strikes back. Better off dead. Predator. Terminator. Nightmare on elm street.

• minimini 879 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    neil_something said:
    a yes to "blue velvet", "the king of comedy", "the shining" and "akira".

being slightly before my time, i kind of forget that these are eighties films.

by no means a classic, but a secret favourite of mine (now that i've been reminded of david lynch) is "dune".

for the francophiles, how about "diva"?

My image links have died but I posted Diva, Betty Blue and Robocop on page1. Diva is probably the one I could watch again and again. It has everything. Dude having two cars was the killer!

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    HarveyCanal said:

YES.

I actually prefered Spring Break as a whole movie, but always remembered that scene from Hardbodies featuring Malachai from Children of the Corn.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Just re-watched this recently and laughed my ass off

Also

and

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    barjesus said:

lol

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Okem said:

the fuck? is this real? what country was this poster for? this is rad.

probably poland.

i had this one saved on my hard drive. i can't wait for christmas!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Frank said:

I would've never thought of that one. Great choice!

- spidey

I was born in 1983, but I really loved movies when I was a kid. For me the 80's was a very bad time for music, but a great era of cinema. Especially Horror films. (The Thing, The Fly, Halloween, Evil Dead, Poltergeist, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, An American Werewolf in London, Child's Play, Day of the Dead, Hitcher..etc.)

I couldn't possibly limit myself to only 3. When I was a little kid these were my favorites:

Alien Terminator
    Die hard
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Ghostbusters
    Dark Crystal
    Conan the Barbarian
    Coming to America

Now as an adult It'd probably look like:

Akira
    Santa Sangre
    Do the Right thing
    Style Wars
    My Dinner with Andre
    The Shining
    Full Metal Jacket
    The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Interesting to me how my opinions of film has evolved through the years, but I still don't mind my old taste. I'll easily go back to some cheesy 80's horror any day.

- spidey

SPlDEY said:
    I was born in 1983, but I really loved movies when I was a kid. For me the 80's was a very bad time for music, but a great era of cinema. Especially Horror films. (The Thing, The Fly, Halloween, Evil Dead, Poltergeist, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, An American Werewolf in London, Child's Play, Day of the Dead, Hitcher..etc.)

I couldn't possibly limit myself to only 3. When I was a little kid these were my favorites:

Alien
    Die hard
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Ghostbusters
    Dark Crystal
    Conan the Barbarian
    Coming to America

Now as an adult It'd probably look like:

Akira
    Santa Sangre
    Do the Right thing
    Style Wars
    My Dinner with Andre
    The Shining
    Full Metal Jacket
    The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Interesting to me how my opinions of film has evolved through the years, but I still don't mind my old taste. I'll easily go back to some cheesy 80's horror any day.

- spidey

Alien came out in the late 70s i think? I love that movie. it would def. be on my list

Full Metal Jacket >>> Platoon

Also, I watched Wall Street recently and can say that it is in nowhere in my top list, but it is hilarious.

Ah you're right. I can just easily replace it with The Terminator.

- spidey

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    edith head said:
    Also, I watched Wall Street recently and can say that it is in nowhere in my top list, but it is hilarious.

Wallstreet Baller Phone

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SPlDEY said:

Alien
    Die hard 85
    Raiders of the Lost Ark - 81
    Ghostbusters 84
    Dark Crystal - 82
    Conan the Barbarian - 82
    Coming to America - 88

U remember movies when u were 4 years old?
    Alien was 1979.

Most of these came out when you werent able to understand them.

Are you talkin about seeing these afterwards on cable ?

That just made me think of something.

I wonder if James Cameron's Avatar was influenced by Dark Crystal.

For a kids film, Dark Crystal was genius in it's construction.

- spidey

sabadabada said:
    edith head said:

Wallstreet Baller Phone

Hahaha yes! I like this view because you can see he is on the beach

Daryl Hannah's "interior design" in the movie is soooo funny and dated.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    edith head said:

Daryl Hannah's "interior design" in the movie is soooo funny and dated.

batmon said:

U remember movies when u were 4 years old?
    Alien was 1979.

Most of these came out when you werent able to understand them.

Are you talkin about seeing these afterwards on cable ?

I probably wasn't able to comprehend a film until I was about 5 or 6 years old. In the late 80's and early 90's it was a weekly tradition where me and my mom would walk back in forth to the dollar cinema. In the early 90's we used to live across the street from a Video Park. So most of my 80's movie watching was influenced by Movie rentals in the 90's.

My mom still has a pretty extensive VHS collection from that period that I return to from time to time. My dad took me to the theater to watch Conan & Die Hard & The Terminator his favorite movies. I remember that not being okay with my mom. They didn't really restrict what I could watch, but my mom didn't like me being around alot of nudity.

I remember being brought to watch Empire Strike Back when I was in a stroller. I also vividly remember the Captain EO ride from Disneyland when I was also in a stroller. How tripped out it was to have Michael Jackson mixing with Star Wars. Which at that time was the 2 greatest things in my Universe.

Also I remember having the Heavy Metal movie somehow mixed up with the He-Man universe in my mind.

- Diego

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    How in the fuck did Spinal Tap slip my mind?

• Documentary edition:

• Jspr said:

Classique. It was all downhill for Woody after that I'm afraid (except for Husbands and Wives in the 90s which I ride for)

• thinking of 80's movies and robocop, can anyone point me in the direction of the fairly recent tune that was on youtube which used the scene of miguel ferrer and two working women enjoying themselves before kurtwood smith shoots him in the knee...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    neil_something said:
    thinking of 80's movies and robocop, can anyone point me in the direction of the fairly recent tune that was on youtube which used the scene of miguel ferrer and two working women enjoying themselves before kurtwood smith shoots him in the knee...

• magnetic said:
    neil_something said:
    thinking of 80's movies and robocop, can anyone point me in the direction of the fairly recent tune that was on youtube which used the scene of miguel ferrer and two working women enjoying themselves before kurtwood smith shoots him in the knee...

jeeez, and there's a thread on the weeknd just below, too. i'm an idiot.

thanks!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

goat

• Jspr said:
    MintingDown said:
    Jspr said:

Classique. It was all downhill for Woody after that I'm afraid (except for Husbands and Wives in the 90s which I ride for)

Woody had it locked in the 70s and 80s with the existential angst dramas. There's some later gems like Husbands & Wives, Deconstructing Harry and Sweet & Lowdown. The recent Scoop and Midnight in Paris are pretty decent and have some of the wit of his earlier comedies.

When you've made masterpieces, though, "pretty decent" looks kind of like shite...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,084 Posts
    I'm not much of an 80s movie guy, but these three are solidly at the top

Nostalgic honorable mentions to Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Hellraiser, Predator, Purple Rain and Weekend At Bernie's