Music thoughts.

13»

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    SPlDEY said:
    Horseleech said:
    They are almost all cliches that have been repeated a hundred times.

Horseleech, do you make music of any kind?

- Diego

I played in various bands/situations for about 25 years and now mostly noodle around at home.

I don't mean to be insulting, but you asked for opinions on a subject that matters a lot to people here, and you are going to get them. And honestly, you said you wanted to discuss them, but it doesn't seem like you do.

When you open a door, you have to be prepared for what might come through.

Thanks for responding Horseleech.

I think as an artist it's very important to know your history in music and to form your own conclusions about what you study. For me it helps me to come up with new ideas, or think of approaches I otherwise wouldn't have.

Though sometimes it's good to get some perspective on your ideas from people who are different than you. That's all this thread is about man. I started it because I want people to share their opinions on the topics I brought up. Even though they are basic observations on topics that have already been discussed. I still think they're very important and worth discussing further.

Sorry if my topics seem cliche or exhausted these are just things I've been studying recently that I'm very interested in.

Finelikewine & Damms please check your PM.

- spidey

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    batmon said:
    Tupac is alive.

Did you know that Tupac once said that Jim Carrey was his favorite actor and that Jim wrote letters to Tupac when he was in prison to help him laugh and smile?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    DOR said:
    batmon said:
    Tupac is alive.

Did you know that Tupac once said that Jim Carrey was his favorite actor and that Jim wrote letters to Tupac when he was in prison to help him laugh and smile?

both appeared in living color

skel said:

Galileo and them did similarly, and were derided by the ignant and those with something to protect.

Thanks Skel,

When I was a kid I had a mild form of dysgraphia that I was often picked on about. Studying about Davinci, Edison and Picasso's struggles with dyslexia helped me to work hard on it. My handwriting is still pretty horrible, but now I'm proud that often times I just think differently about things. Most importantly I've found other more interesting ways to express my thoughts and ideas now.

cheers,

- spidey

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy exceeds 'Music Thoughts' on Soul Strut in the insight department. Seriously this thread deserves it's own Jonestown Massacre.
    For real Spidey. All of your detractors in this thread who appear frustrated at your oversimplification of things are saying essentially the same thing, don't intellectualize this shit to death it takes all the fun out of it. And don't try to simplify something this big and broad in a blanket way. Just go listen and learn and live and read and observe and over time eventually you will have your own opinion, formed naturally over time, not someone else's borrowed theoretical standpoint.
    Music Theory on the other hand is a very different subject. It's hard to tell if you are asking about that but there is no discussion here of dissonance, pitch, semiotics, scales, modes any of that so I assume that's not what you are after.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    all black people look alike

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    Where I live.. I don't have many people to talk to these things about.
    "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture."

Deegreez said:
    Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy exceeds 'Music Thoughts' on Soul Strut in the insight department. Seriously this thread deserves it's own Jonestown Massacre.
    For real Spidey. All of your detractors in this thread who appear frustrated at your oversimplification of things are saying essentially the same thing, don't intellectualize this shit to death it takes all the fun out of it. And don't try to simplify something this big and broad in a blanket way. Just go listen and learn and live and read and observe and over time eventually you will have your own opinion, formed naturally over time, not someone else's borrowed theoretical standpoint.
    Music Theory on the other hand is a very different subject. It's hard to tell if you are asking about that but there is no discussion here of dissonance, pitch, semiotics, scales, modes any of that so I assume that's not what you are after.

Yeah, I guess my thread failed. Oh well, sometimes you gotta roll the dice.

- spidey

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    SPlDEY said:
    Oh well, sometimes you gotta roll the dice.- spidey

Dig up a copy of "The Dice Man" by Luke Rhinehart for further instruction.

It's a book, not a record, though it did inspire the song "Dice Man" by the Fall.

Yes! Music knowledge drop by Frankie.

Apart from a copy of Rowche Rumble on 45, I have never dipped in to the Fall catalogue. There's too much to take a punt. Please to recommend two that represent the entire canon most favourably.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    I once threw Mark E Smith out of a club. Previously I'd been told he sacked a bass player for being too jazzy.

I sleep like a LOG.

Somewhat apropros, most potentially inappropriate use of jazzy bassism in a punk-oriented setting was Rainy of Discharge, amid the chaos of 200 sweaty, gobbing pogoing spikey haired 16yos, on that foot-high stage at the 100 Club, and the guy was playing full neck runs with 16th note activity a la Stanley Clarke. It was bizarre, exhilerating, and it worked.
    I was transfixed.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Maybe the wrong thread but I'm wondering about this since a long time: Is music from brazil (Bossa, Samba, MPB) "Latin Music"?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    Maybe the wrong thread but I'm wondering about this since a long time: Is music from brazil (Bossa, Samba, MPB) "Latin Music"?

You should hand over all your Brazil finds for not knowing ;-)

Just kidding. Here's what WIkipedia has to say ("yes it is in that category"):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_American_music

I shall seek it, and someone recommended the Kurious Oranj set

It sounds ominously like hard work.