what was the last great rap album with no filler?

13»

Comments

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    faux_rillz's ass will probably burn for this but ill go for Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    matamatic said:
    Oddisee is a producer I always check for when he has some new shit out.

As for no filler, CRITICAL BEATDOWN.

Funky {remix} has left a bad taste in my mouth for all these years.
    And the fact they didnt use the entire Ego Tripping was a bad look.
    They tinkered with their classics which made no sense to me.
    Ced Gee Delta Force One is cute but i wish it wasnt some half song.
    Travelling should have been the OG as well but the uptempo version fits better for the lp.

• Kanye's last joint was a very strong record front to back IMO.

• A whole lot of dudes have taken this thread to be a name your favourite rap album thread, rather than looking into recent history to pull out a decent album.

There hasn't been a filler free rap album since 88? Really? I know the genre has taken some beatings over the years and standards have dropped, but seriously, no solid records since Critical Beatdown?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    JRoot said:
    Jay-Z -- The Black Album.

"Justify My Thug" apologist revealed

You have to shoot my dog?

I'm gonna kill your cat.

I ran thru Diamond D - Stunts Blunts and Hip Hop and I couldnt find a glaring drop-off/weakness.

And im not including interludes.

As far as Kanye's Drak Twisted thingy I cant see how one could rep All The Lights.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Downstroke said:
    A whole lot of dudes have taken this thread to be a name your favourite rap album thread, rather than looking into recent history to pull out a decent album.

There hasn't been a filler free rap album since 88? Really? I know the genre has taken some beatings over the years and standards have dropped, but seriously, no solid records since Critical Beatdown?

Plenty of solid records since Critical Beatdown, but it's a tough audience here. If you dare put one up that has 3 minutes of smedium out of 70 minutes of XXXL, you'll have to defend it for three pages. I mean Trap Muzik (released eight years ago today!), Urban Legend and King are not only favourite records of mine but solid solid records. I just don't want to have to talk about one OK song instead of 10+ amazing ones.

bassie said:
    Downstroke said:
    A whole lot of dudes have taken this thread to be a name your favourite rap album thread, rather than looking into recent history to pull out a decent album.

Plenty of solid records since Critical Beatdown, but it's a tough audience here. If you dare put one up that has 3 minutes of smedium out of 70 minutes of XXXL, you'll have to defend it for three pages. I mean Trap Muzik (released eight years ago today!), Urban Legend and King are not only favourite records of mine but solid solid records. I just don't want to have to talk about one OK song instead of 10+ amazing ones.

"No Filler"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:
    bassie said:
    Downstroke said:

"No Filler"

I agree with this:
    Controller_7 said:
    For me, no album is flawless. It all changes with your mood. These are end to end burners in my opinion, but again, not perfect. I may skip a track depending on my mood or current listening situation (in the car, home, etc)

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts

how did it take 3 pages to find this?
    first thing that came to mind

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i think the only joints i skipped on "lord willin'," were the remixes of "grindin'."

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Whatever, i'll play.

"Hell Hath No Fury"
    "Marcberg"
    Supreme Clientele"
    'The Blueprint"
    "Donuts"
    "Phillidelphia Freeway"
    "Below The Heavens"
    "The Fix"
    "Emeritus"
    "Waiting To Inhale" (Damn Near)
    "OB4CL"

• batmon said:
    I ran thru Diamond D - Stunts Blunts and Hip Hop and I couldnt find a glaring drop-off/weakness.

thats one of my favorite joints, but the posse cut with fat joe and friends was trash. "hard like a penis...THATS HOW IM LIVING!!!!!" yuk

i can listen to the entire Quasimoto Unseen front to back tho, but thats pretty old too

• djkingotto said:
    i think the only joints i skipped on "lord willin'," were the remixes of "grindin'."

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Yeah, so, anyway...

Okay, possible filler up here..

this is a skit - stop frontin'

overused beat alert

last track is my current fav

• oh yeah...i heard barry horowitz. i love that shit.
    i was feeling some of his other joints too but forgot all about looking for the record
    might have to do that

• i dont think that ohio players can be overused.kindof like a stalag rhythm, always sounds good no matter how many people use it. plus all his production sounds damn good. that terry callier and what ever got used in barry horrowitz are thorough

• leonleon 883 Posts
    ZomB said:
    faux_rillz's ass will probably burn for this but ill go for Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein.

Not sure if it's the last rap album with no filler but i played this to death when it came out.

tripledouble said:
    oh yeah...i heard barry horowitz. i love that shit.
    i was feeling some of his other joints too but forgot all about looking for the record
    might have to do that

Well, thats the whole album, in sequence, that I posted.
    Really great recent rap album, and as good as filler free, if you ax me...

tripledouble said:
    staxwax said:

overused beat alert

i dont think that ohio players can be overused.kindof like a stalag rhythm, always sounds good no matter how many people use it. plus all his production sounds damn good. that terry callier and what ever got used in barry horrowitz are thorough

Hmm, although Ice T might have got there first, Fat Joe still owns that one as far as im concerned, but thats personal. All the production was done by one Tommy Mas out of New York. I thought the pitchfork review was on point.

But even though both the Ghostface and the food talking points hold true, they don't really get to the bottom of what makes Dr. Lecter, Bronson's debut album, such a breath of fresh air. Simply put, Dr. Lecter is a rock-solid, ridiculously fun New York rap album, one that recalls the city's past glories without ever feeling like an act of stylistic exhumation. All the tracks on the LP come from one producer, the heretofore unknown Tommy Mas, whose style would've fit the late-80s classics of Marley Marl and the Juice Crew but maintains a crispness and energy that we rarely hear in retro-rap. Mas chops up breakbeats and soul samples, all the while keeping his sound simple, sparse, and funkier than any recent hip-hop. And Bronson attacks every one of his tracks, delivering quick bursts of streetcorner shit-talk, having too much fun to take himself seriously. Bronson's lyrics can be ignorant as fuck ("Take a dyke on a date/ She let me pipe cuz I'm an ape"), but he doesn't have the nihilistic edge of an Odd Future affiliate. He's just kicking silly bullshit, and it's tough to imagine anyone seriously getting offended.

• staxwax said:
    Yeah, so, anyway...

You think? that's one of my favourite joints off that album, Someone should've had a quiet word with him about that Jerk Chicken though.

Downstroke said:
    staxwax said:
    Yeah, so, anyway...

You think? that's one of my favourite joints off that album, Someone should've had a quiet word with him about that Jerk Chicken though.

Nah I was referring to Bag Of Money. Love that Shiraz joint. Great video too...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    KRIT's record has plenty of filler

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

From 2008. (Tommy Gunn is Megalon.)

deej said:

ketan said:

Those are mixtapes, not albums.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    deej said:

Your pie-hole, shut it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    staxwax said:
    deej said:

ketan said:

and the difference is

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    deej said:
    staxwax said:
    deej said:

ketan said:

and the difference is

maybe you could exclude those DJ-oriented mixtapes where a variety of artists are being mixed together (y'know, mixtapes). but almost all of max's original output was on these new-fangled artist-driven mixtapes-before-the-major-label-albums-that-never-drop, no? so i think if you're looking for the last great rap album, you might want to consider the latter group.

besides, that TommyGunn/Ray Long is not a mixtape. it was an mp3-only album (i swear).

then there's these types of artist-driven but w/ mostly-unoriginal-beats mixtapes that may be "no filler", but i wouldn't really consider as a "rap album"

deej said:

and the difference is

why rap fans can't have nice things.