Amy Winehouse RIP ?

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    This news is profoundly sad to me. I really wanted to see her win. Unlike these other girls she had a powerful and great singing voice. I hate the times we live for in for moments like this, the soundbite era, when people just go off within seconds, speaking in callous newsy miniature proclamatory quips of bogus wit and banal puns like the Rehab shit, feeding off of this shit sensationally, engrossed like jackals, anonymously, instead of saying anything with mindful feeling.

http://www.regretsy.com/2011/07/23/people-never-disappoint/

:-(

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    are y'all new to the internet?

welcome!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Well, that happened.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    :five_pager:

im not a fan but she solidified the retro soul steez on a pop level, that is now a style.
    Ronson helped that shit, but props to her for going in like that.

I dont think she had a seeven album career, but like alot of extraordinary UK Soul,muthafuckas to cues from what was done.

Props.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    It was a shock and a shame, but sadly not entirely unexpected.

RIP

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    good piece interviewing neal sugarman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14264249

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    RIP.

My lady, for whatever reason, has recently been on a big Back To Black kick and so I've been hearing it in the car and such a lot over the last month or two. Five years after its release, and as far detached from the hype and tabloids as you're ever going to get, I have to say that it's actually a better album than I gave it credit for at the time. It's hardly jaw dropping as a whole but songs like the title track and Tears Dry On Their Own are great pieces of pop soul made even more outstanding by her voice and I suspect will have had a longevity that far outlasts those who followed in her footsteps.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    AndreBreton said:
    Drug addiction is a disease and this is a tragedy.

If you haven't had anybody close to you die of an OD and you shrugg it off like whatever, she had it comin' then fuck you.

What if I have? What if I found her dead on the floor the next morning in a puddle of piss with the crusted bloody snot all over her face and translucent fish eyes? Will I get a pass? Nobody is saying "she had it coming" that would imply that she deserve it. They are just saying that her sickeness and her innability to deal with it just played itself out to the logical end. If you've had anyone close to you die of an OD than you should certainly recognize that. My experience has been, that junkies are selfmedicating deeper problems a lot of them pretty bad. And a lot of them OD when they're doing pretty good, and I thought Amy looked pretty good recently. I've heard people say, they clean up and then when they go back to their old amount it's more than they can handle, but I don't know if I buy that. I also think its equally sad, that if we're all guilty of "not klnowing her," what does that say about hert family, her management and all her "friends."

Also, the difference between this and Kurt is that he was murdered.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    sabadabada said:

What?
    Begging your pardon?

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    that's unfortunate she didn't let or find anyone to help her fight her demons
    chase crusher said:
    she gave her life for our entertainment.
    not mine homey

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    And a lot of them OD when they're doing pretty good, and I thought Amy looked pretty good recently. I've heard people say, they clean up and then when they go back to their old amount it's more than they can handle, but I don't know if I buy that.

A good friend of mine died that way. Clean for few months, then loaded up a junkie shot.

As for the "saw that coming" sentiment, it's a little crass, but not really outside the bounds of general commentary in my opinion. But that's just my opinion.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    sabadabada said:

What?
    Begging your pardon?

not sure if Saba is joking, but I think he was as well. And I haven't seen the doc.

damms said:

It's not for someone else to do.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Many times musical talent/genius is accompanied by, and in some cases a result of, serious emotional issues.

Rarely can anything be done to remedy this and a premature death is often the result.

It seems to be a part of some natural, organic order of things.

It certainly wasn't Brian Wilson who wrote "It's better to burn out than to fade away".

RIP

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    bassie said:
    Duderonomy said:
    sabadabada said:

What?
    Begging your pardon?

not sure if Saba is joking, but I think he was as well. And I haven't seen the doc.

damms said:

There's a lotta things about me you don't know anything about, Dottie. Things you wouldn't understand. Things you couldn't understand. Things you shouldn't understand.

bassie said:
    sabadabada said:

Why is so hard to believe that he didn't just off himself ?

- given the Rome incident just weeks before, plus his self-proclaimed family 'suicide genes' b/w his constant romanticism about the idea of suicide and the 27 club (plus about 100 other contributing factors.. including manic depression)

sabadabada said:
    bassie said:
    Duderonomy said:
    sabadabada said:

What?
    Begging your pardon?

damms said:

There's a lotta things about me you don't know anything about, Dottie. Things you wouldn't understand. Things you couldn't understand. Things you shouldn't understand.

huh?

Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    bassie said:
    sabadabada said:

- given the Rome incident just weeks before, plus his self-proclaimed family 'suicide genes' b/w his constant romanticism about the idea of suicide and the 27 club (plus about 100 other contributing factors.. including manic depression)

It just is. It doesn't keep me up at night, I don't worship at a Nirvana/Cobain temple, I haven't done any research. It's just one of those funny things I believe.

bassie said:
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    bassie said:
    sabadabada said:

It just is. It doesn't keep me up at night, I don't worship at a Nirvana/Cobain temple, I haven't done any research. It's just one of those funny things I believe.

Oh, ok.

*Climbs off soap box and goes back to Nirvana/Cobain temple*

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    bassie said:
    sabadabada said:
    bassie said:
    Duderonomy said:
    sabadabada said:

What?
    Begging your pardon?

damms said:

huh?

• bassie said:
    sabadabada said:
    bassie said:
    Duderonomy said:
    sabadabada said:

What?
    Begging your pardon?

damms said:

huh?

I love that bassie's response was essentially the same as Dottie's.

will the "genre" thrive without one its figureheads?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    batmon said:
    will the "genre" thrive without one its figureheads?

Fitz and the Tantrums are ready to carry the torch

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:

E.G. Daily was a cutie pie. Did she ever record any good albums? I have one she did but I don't remember anything significant about it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

b/w

This thread sucks.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    RIP

b/w

This thread sucks.

i still really enjoy listening to the Back to Black album.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I was back in England for my brother's wedding this weekend and, as if the massacre in Norway wasn't horrifying enough, I got back to the hotel after a few beers with my youngest brother and my nephew, turned on the TV and I was like, oh fuck, oh, Jesus fucking Christ. Unbelievably gutted. This is going to hurt for a long time.

I wrote this last month. Like AK, I wanted her to win. Inevitable as this now seems, it's still fucking awful.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    I was back in England for my brother's wedding this weekend and, as if the massacre in Norway wasn't horrifying enough, I got back to the hotel after a few beers with my youngest brother and my nephew, turned on the TV and I was like, oh fuck, oh, Jesus fucking Christ. Unbelievably gutted. This is going to hurt for a long time.

I wrote this last month. Like AK, I wanted her to win. Inevitable as this now seems, it's still fucking awful.

Thank you for that.
    I agree with you 100%.
    Drugs makes most everyone less artistic not more.

I had never seen that clip of Teach Me Tonight. Great.
    I think Winehouse's vulnerability really shines through and it is that vulnerability that makes her so compelling.

• R.I.P.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    That was a great piece of writing Doc, thanks for posting here. I have nothing else to add but one of my favorite performances of hers, this is the way I'll choose to remember her. RIP.