Pete Rock & Smif-N-Wessun - Monumental (2011) Opinions???

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ive never been a fan of S&W but im interested.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    FunkyFlatulent said:

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    That sculptor isn't very good.

• barjesus said:
    That sculptor isn't very good.

Neither is the album. :oh_snap:

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Solid album i'm rocking this back to back with Bad Meets Evil. :necessary:

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    batmon said:
    Ive never been a fan of S&W but im interested.

you don't like Dah Shinin'?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Based on the snippets, I'm not buying this. Super fucking disappointing.

• The_Non said:

I'm not that disappointed, but then again I never really had much expectations for it to begin with.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    incompletejigsaw said:
    The_Non said:

I'm not that disappointed, but then again I never really had much expectations for it to begin with.

i have to say, i had higher expectations for the production. the last bright spot on pr's discography was "soul survivor."

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Based on those snippets, "I'll be sleepin' on your rhymes til' I start to snore..." Damn, the rhymes were pedestrian, and Pete's beats were FAR from stellar. That was extremely disappointing.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Based on those snippets, "I'll be sleepin' on your rhymes til' I start to snore..."

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Where were you earlier Stacks. lol I was drawing blanks for the vote. Also I accidentally voted Grenada.

I know most people based on the beats but i'm very dissappointed in the rapping as well. I don't know what to call that style anymore, It's that sort of Philly battle whisper/kanye/ Beanie Sigel - feel it in the air/ hipster/ horrible rap flow. I hate it more than anything in the world and everybody is doing it.

I don't even know how to describe it. When you finish the last word strong and stop. Rapping sentence by sentence. Like Kanye on Can't Tell Me Nothing. I hate that shit with a passion.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    FunkyFlatulent said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Based on those snippets, "I'll be sleepin' on your rhymes til' I start to snore..."

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Where were you earlier Stacks. lol I was drawing blanks for the vote. Also I accidentally voted Grenada.

I know most people based on the beats but i'm very dissappointed in the rapping as well. I don't know what to call that style anymore, It's that sort of Philly battle whisper/kanye/ Beanie Sigel - feel it in the air/ hipster/ horrible rap flow. I hate it more than anything in the world and everybody is doing it.

I don't even know how to describe it. When you finish the last word strong and stop. Rapping sentence by sentence. Like Kanye on Can't Tell Me Nothing. I hate that shit with a passion.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    just trying to squeeze out every last drop these days....shame on any of you for actually thinking this might be any more than good at best! and shame on pete and s/w for not knowing better!

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    It's pretty sad that Pete Rock went back to Dah Shinin' for inspiration, and still came up with his most generic NY beats. I kinda liked the song with Freeway, but that's it.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Why so many guest mc's? Every track...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Murdock said:
    Why so many guest mc's? Every track...

They need all the help they can get.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    the last bright spot on pr's discography was "soul survivor."
    NO
    now go listen to those NY's Finest instrumentals

haven't listened to this Monumental yet but I'm surprised that even the beats seem to not being felt

• I enjoyed NY's Finest more.

• NY's finest wasn't that good either. imo.

FunkyFlatulent said:
    NY's finest wasn't that good either. imo.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    FunkyFlatulent said:
    NY's finest wasn't that good either. imo.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

ah man!
    i have this on hold at the bookstore, was hoping to pick it up and enjoy some of it.
    damn.

The Hell like cover makes it look fonky.
    guess not.

• There's an instrumentals edition of NY's Finest too

• Seq_OneSeq_One 11 Posts
    Solid album! Pete Rock is a master! The features are dope too; Sean Price, Freeway, Raekwon, and Styles P. I really dig the track "Thats Hard"
    "Listen, A lot wack niggaz rappin now and I know why, One cornball pop so the rest want to go try, all praises due to Allah no bow tie"--- Sean P!

I have always been a fan of Smif N Wessun and this is their best albums since Da Shining IMO, Coca Brovas- The Awakening was dope too but I think this new one is a bit better.

CinisterCee said:

There's an instrumentals edition of NY's Finest too

hey these aren't bad! thanks.
    will cop for only $6.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    NYPD brutality at the record release party, Lower East Side

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Cops didn't like the album, I guess.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    wackness

ok ya'll correct me if i'm wrong here,
    but in that clip is see cops telling fools to walk away and/or move...
    i then see aforementioned fools running their mouths and/or getting up in aforementioned cops grills...
    i then see aforementioned cops using force to move aforementioned fools away.

right?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Why are the cops there to begin with? Why are there so many cops there? Why the hell do people need to leave a public street? Why do cops think they've been hired to play Simon and if you don't do what Simon Says you get beat with a stick?