The Superpoaster redemption.

StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
So when I dropped my record about 4-5 years ago, a dude named Jesse contacted me. I think through email, but it might've been on Facebook. Either way, he was quite young and very ADD, it seemed to me. As the years passed, he mellowed out and showed my music to some people he knew and set up some connections that I wouldn't have done, even bringing me in for an interview on a cool radio show in Toronto. The guy definitely mellowed out and we actually hung out and became friends, talking about music, movies and food. At some point I mentioned Soulstrut and he told me his superpoaster saga. I laughed, I cried, I learned the way of innernet ettiquette. He said he feels bad and is embarrassed about that whole thing, being a young buck and all.
In the beginning he also showed me his music he was making. It wasn't great, some of it was quite bad, but I felt that he had some potential. The years went by, and he sent me stuff that was better and better everytime. In the past year, hes made some really cool stuff and just put out his debut EP. Gilles Peterson cosigned it, along with some others and The Grid (previously Eye Weekly) just did a write-up about him.

http://www.thegridto.com/culture/music/the-futer-is-now/

I figured this is sort of a feel good story, so decided to poAst it here.
Cheers.

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Love it.

Congrats on your release Jesse.

• deleted..

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    can't wait to see the documentary 10 years from now

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Much love to

B/w

Can I get a

:hayek:

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    what what this kids deal again?

i remember him getting clowned a bunch.

was this the jorge ben thing?

my strut memory's not what it used to be.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    i really like this, both the stuff on his soundcloud & bandcamp pages.

this one in particular:

rootlesscosmo said:

Dude registers as 'SuperToaster' at the age of 15.

Dude does a beat poast.

Dude gets hazed, fried and hella burned by the Strut.

Dude gets his name involuntarily changed to SuperPoaster.

Dude takes it badly.

The word 'poast' comes to be.

Dude leaves Strut.

All SuperPoaster poasts are deleted.

Dude goes and makes his music a success.

Here we are today.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Dude does a beat poast.

Dude takes it badly.

Dude leaves Strut.

Here we are today.

He sonned us.
    Good for him.

Rock on Jesse.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'm a long time Superpoaster fan. I think Crink was too.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    Much love to

Gotta love the hustle!

• if you put his soulstrut history in reverse it plays out like the amy winehouse saga.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Dude does a beat poast.

Dude takes it badly.

Dude leaves Strut.

Here we are today.

He sonned us.
    Good for him.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    StoneHands said:
    So when I dropped my record about 4-5 years ago, a dude named Jesse contacted me. I think through email, but it might've been on Facebook. Either way, he was quite young and very ADD, it seemed to me. As the years passed, he mellowed out and showed my music to some people he knew and set up some connections that I wouldn't have done, even bringing me in for an interview on a cool radio show in Toronto. The guy definitely mellowed out and we actually hung out and became friends, talking about music, movies and food. At some point I mentioned Soulstrut and he told me his superpoaster saga. I laughed, I cried, I learned the way of innernet ettiquette. He said he feels bad and is embarrassed about that whole thing, being a young buck and all.
    In the beginning he also showed me his music he was making. It wasn't great, some of it was quite bad, but I felt that he had some potential. The years went by, and he sent me stuff that was better and better everytime. In the past year, hes made some really cool stuff and just put out his debut EP. Gilles Peterson cosigned it, along with some others and The Grid (previously Eye Weekly) just did a write-up about him.

http://www.thegridto.com/culture/music/the-futer-is-now/

I figured this is sort of a feel good story, so decided to poAst it here.
    Cheers.

Jesse has definitely mellowed out and grown up at the same time. I met him five years ago through a DJ friend of mine and we became friends quickly. I was the one that actually told him about Soul Strut :oof: in the first place, thinking that he would be exposed to the wealth of info and knowledge from the forums and album reviews. I shook my head when I saw the childish behaviour he displayed in the forums and the subsequent clonning. He has defintely come a long way.

It's good to see him make some real world moves and see his music progress to where it is now.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Was just listening to his blazing downtempo and some Google ad on the front page of the forums played "Congratulations, you won!" Seemed fitting.

P.S. I'll take Superpoaster any day over this guy: ;-)

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Damn, this surprised me a lot. He used to hook me up with links to some good albums back when he was in his SuperPoaster prime and now I see he's actually a guy who's music I already like a lot and is being released on a label a friend is associated with, I didn't expect that.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

Come back

• Options
    The guy's stuff sounds great. Good for him.

I guess he ran afoul of the usual Welcome Bunch, huh?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    ...ban...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    NomoreGarciaparra said:

For those that remember...he really was annoying back then. On some hyperhyper OMGthisStrataEastchangedmylifehoessuckmydick mess. I'm all for youthful energy but this was just eye pollution, and he was in every other thread. The tipping point for me was when he wrote he would punch Bassie in the ovaries if he ever met her. Fuck that shit.

But it's great that he has grown up, mellowed out and is doing cool music. He should post again. Spread love. SP in Canada vindicated.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    willie_fugal said:
    ...ban...

hahahaha

• Options
    m_dejean said:
    I'm all for youthful energy but this was just eye pollution, and he was in every other thread. The tipping point for me was when he wrote he would punch Bassie in the ovaries if he ever met her. Fuck that shit.

Yeah, that's not good. Plus it reveals a lack of knowledge of anatomy.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    m_dejean said:
    NomoreGarciaparra said:

For those that remember...he really was annoying back then. On some hyperhyper OMGthisStrataEastchangedmylifehoessuckmydick mess. I'm all for youthful energy but this was just eye pollution, and he was in every other thread. The tipping point for me was when he wrote he would punch Bassie in the ovaries if he ever met her. Fuck that shit.

Totally, but it was hilarious at the same time, and it's not like he was serious. He came at at time when there was that whole 'clon new young jocks' ethos much more in effect than it seems to be now, and he just ticked all the boxes that would rile up the old guard. I talked to dude a lot via PM and on MSN during and after the whole thing, and he was just a genuinely enthusaiastic dude. Just came on a bit strong at the beginning - pause.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    white_tea said:

P.S. I'll take Superpoaster any day over this guy: ;-)

• Options
    So how did this guy stand on the cosmically important Thriller vs. OTW question?

• Im back. This thread meant a lot, sorry to all those who I pissed off or offended in my past, I will try my best to be a goodmen.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    jessefutermans said:
    I will try my best to be a goodmen.

• HarveyCanal said:
    jessefutermans said:
    I will try my best to be a goodmen.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_jWNhyMUpjSE/TBKGErBWOxI/AAAAAAAAGtg/-hoMak9RgKo/s1600/goodmen.jpg

a few goodmen