ANOTHER QUESTION FOR LOS ANGELINOS

124»

Comments

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    yeah but realize LA isn't just a city it's a county. the actual CITY of LA isn't all that big..but you add in Hollywood, Glendale, Pasadena, Santa Monica, Compton, Watts, Bell, Southgate, all the beaches (hermosa, manhattan, redondo), Malibu, etc and it's a HUGE FUCKING PLACE. never ending city.

plus I bet in Philly they give directions like "take Western to Rose street and take a right, and then take a left on Broadway"

Here in LA it's "take the 134 to the 210 to the 605 to the 10"

So on point. Traffic is a bitch. Get a nice car because you are going to get to know it really well.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    L.A.?

Never ever, ever ever ever, ever. Ever Ever? Nope.

Hatter.

There's a lot to LA NOT to like but avoid the Hollywood element and this city's beauty is all over the place especially if things like diversity and culture (and good weather) mean anything to you. I prefer SF for a variety of reasons (not to least of which is the Groove Merchant) but if I had to move to LA? I would not be mad.

• If I had to kill every loser in LA I'd never get any sleep.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    L.A.?

Never ever, ever ever ever, ever. Ever Ever? Nope.

Hatter.

There's a lot to LA NOT to like but avoid the Hollywood element and this city's beauty is all over the place especially if things like diversity and culture (and good weather) mean anything to you. I prefer SF for a variety of reasons (not to least of which is the Groove Merchant) but if I had to move to LA? I would not be mad.

I enjoy varied weather and also enjoy not driving for two hours a day.

There is something to be said about riding your bike to work and not picking pitch black smog boogys out your nose.

Horses for courses.

• I enjoy varied weather and also enjoy not driving for two hours a day.

There is something to be said about riding your bike to work and not picking pitch black smog boogys out your nose.

Horses for courses.

i live in la (and when saying in la i mean in la not far from downtown) and do that every day.

la had a deservedly bad rep for smog, but believe me air quality in los angeles has cleared up significantly.

• ok, i know i bad mouth LA pretty frequently, but i do not hate it here.

first off, i dont have a car but i manage. it helps to live in koreatown where there are markets and good food and bootleg dvd's and train access are.

the only place ive ever got the black boogers are in the london underground and the mountains. though the smog is noticable, its not that bad and on the bright side makes for some mindblowing sunsets.

hollywood is what it is. personally i find west LA to be more obnoxious but as far as hollywood goes, it may not be your cup of yerba mate but there's no place like it.

old-dubs is right tho, LA is VAST. i actually found the further east i go in this county, the more i like it.

though there are some serious negative downsides to the segregation of this city, the segregation also means that if you go into oaxacan koreatown, you will get that real shit. none of this taco bell make believe crap. ive seen fruits and vegetables at the local market that i still have no clue what theyre used for. and this just makes me hungry to learn. there's no explanations, you either know what's what or you dont.

there is also some serious melting pot shit goings on around here. chicano culture of east LA, japanese-american culture of the south bay. these are now the indigenous cultures of los angeles and i get geeked on that kinda shit.

in closing, id like to say that i still want to move back home. and by home i mean the bay. but i am not mad at LA. met some great folks, been eating some great food, and the weather. let me put it this way. when yall are wrapped up like eskimos in the winter time, im chilling in my tshirt and shorts...at 9pm at night!

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    ok and in STARK contrast to those prices...my girl is in the process of buying this for $650,000

it has a 1/2 acre back yard, it's in Riverside in a NICE neighborhood.

I've thought about moving east of the city to purchase a nicer/larger home, but $650,000 in Riverside (diff strokes for different folks)! You could go to Phoenix and get the same house/lot size for $200,000. Unless you work in the entertainment business, salary differences just aren't that much.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    ok yeah but you'd be living in ...Phoenix. I'd take Riverside any day. The neighborhood is dope and on the weekends it's like an hour and a half to LA

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Understood Daze. Although, I may be moving to the PHX area real soon. I do like and will miss L.A. (esp the ocean), but the housing prices are giving me the boot. I guess I'll be eBaying my digs in the near future!

We are also considering buying a place in NC (beautiful and cheap).

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    you can find affordable housing for the whole family in nice areas like los feliz, pasadena, echo park, and such. plus you don't have to deal with paying for heat or a/c - it's nice all year long.
    public school system kind of blows though. how old are the kiddies?

I can't f**k with public schools for my kids here in Philly, either... they gots to get that good edumacation, just like they daddy got.

That's what I'm sayin'. Nice to see my peoples stressing education. My folks used to whoop my ass over it and it paid off nicely. Daddy and Mama Stacks didn't play!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• don't look at the avg. cost of a house right now if you're seriously considering moving. just rent until the prices come off their highs a little bit. when the market bursts, i'd expect it to drop off a good 30% or so. right now there's a lot of speculative/investment buying going on in the real estate market because it's so hot. apparently the highest three markets are in california - SF, OC, and LA, in that order ... but the avg. cost of an apartment in new york city is well above the average price of a house in any of those places by about $600,000 or so. $1.3 million. fuck that.

• don't look at the avg. cost of a house right now if you're seriously considering moving. just rent until the prices come off their highs a little bit. when the market bursts, i'd expect it to drop off a good 30% or so. right now there's a lot of speculative/investment buying going on in the real estate market because it's so hot. apparently the highest three markets are in california - SF, OC, and LA, in that order ... but the avg. cost of an apartment in new york city is well above the average price of a house in any of those places by about $600,000 or so. $1.3 million. fuck that.

Yes but P*** you can buy a two-family home where I live, in "nice" Brooklyn, for under 6. 4-5 really. 5 and a quarter fully renovated, that's what the one on my block sold for. Without the work, the apartment that I currently rent (which def. could use some renovation) would go between 4 and 5. Not bad for a two story home with spacious 2 brs on both floors, fully functional basement and backyard, you can always rent the lower floor to help with the mortgage. Deals in the outerboroughs. I just can't imagine being here for another 30 years to pay that sucker off!

• yeah, this girl i worked with at deutsche bank had a deal going out in brooklyn where her tenants basically paid her mortgage. i hated that bitch.

i'm saying though .. someday when i get some real leverage in the market and put my own group together i'm just going to take it back to austin where you can grill 9 months out of the year and shit. live good, shop at central market and shit

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I just can't imagine being here for another 30 years to pay that sucker off!

Who does that???