ANOTHER QUESTION FOR LOS ANGELINOS

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    ok and in STARK contrast to those prices...my girl is in the process of buying this for $650,000

it has a 1/2 acre back yard, it's in Riverside in a NICE neighborhood.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Hey! I like your location.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    ok and in STARK contrast to those prices...my girl is in the process of buying this for $650,000

can we say 1.5 - 2 hour commute to the city

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    AND OH YEAH...SAN ANDREAS IS LONG OVERDUE

The San Andreas Fault (SAF) passes through the small town of Parkfield, California, which is situated roughly halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Parkfield has experienced strong (at least M6) earthquakes six times between 1857 and 1966. These quakes, have an average repeat interval of 22 years (24, 20, 21, 12 and 32 years). Excluding the larger and more extensive 1857 earthquake, they have all occurred on almost exactly the same part of the fault. Furthermore, the 1934 and 1966 quakes have very similar-looking seismographs, and each was preceded by a M5 foreshock 17 minutes before the main shock. Another similar earthquake was expected to occur at Parkfield by around 1987, but it still hasn???t happened, and the gap is now 36 years[/b]

Along the Earth's plate boundaries, such as the San Andreas fault, segments exist where no large earthquakes have occurred for long intervals of time. Scientists term these segments "seismic gaps" and, in general, have been successful in forecasting the time when some of the seismic gaps will produce large earthquakes. Geologic studies show that over the past 1,400 to 1,500 years large earthquakes have occurred at about 150-year intervals on the southern San Andreas fault. As the last large earthquake on the southern San Andreas occurred in 1857[/b]

yeah but that's why I was asking if he was looking at a job actually in the city of LA or in LA county. My girl works in the West Covina area (LA County) so it's not too bad for her.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

DUDE!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

yes, I used to make the drive from Riverside to my old job in Pasadena. With the price of gas being what it is sometime I felt like I was just breaking even on rent...and I was lving there for free.

• fuck...i cant imagine paying what yall pay for rent. i am moving into a 1 bedroom mill house(out of my current 2 br mill house) next weekend that will cost me a whopping $495 a month..and this is more than I was planning on paying. I cant imagine paying so much money to hang out with hollywood fuckwads.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    fuck...i cant imagine paying what yall pay for rent. i am moving into a 1 bedroom mill house(out of my current 2 br mill house) next weekend that will cost me a whopping $495 a month..and this is more than I was planning on paying. I cant imagine paying so much money to hang out with hollywood fuckwads.

cosizzle

all hail the unappealing locations

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

yeah but that's why I was asking if he was looking at a job actually in the city of LA or in LA county. My girl works in the West Covina area (LA County) so it's not too bad for her.

man why is it I can never find a good job in West Covina? I'll tell you why, it's cause all you damn burbankians keep coming out here and taking them away. you people need to know your place and stay there.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    no offense but you're living in South Carolina[/b] doggie ... my car broke down in that state once ... Florence I believe... not in a rush to get back there

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    no offense but you're living in South Carolina[/b] doggie ... my car broke down in that state once ... Florence I believe... not in a rush to get back there

aw man, how can you hate on the Gamecocks?

• no offense but you're living in South Carolina[/b] doggie ... my car broke down in that state once ... Florence I believe... not in a rush to get back there

i hear ya. dont get me wrong..i fucking hate this place, but right now I am broke and dealing with it. My point was..I hate where I live..BUT AT LEAST i dont have to pay too much for that. Rednecks suck..but i cant imagine melrose/hollywood/etc types being anymore tolerable. id love to visit cali a little more in depth...San Fran sounds interesting. I just dont know if LA is my type of town...but what do I know?

• no offense but you're living in South Carolina[/b] doggie ... my car broke down in that state once ... Florence I believe... not in a rush to get back there

aw man, how can you hate on the Gamecocks?

cock fighting is where its at!!! sike

• LONG BEACH! aka the greatest city in the world. peace, stein. . .

• LONG BEACH! aka the greatest city in the world. peace, stein. . .

i hear ya. dont get me wrong..i fucking hate this place, but right now I am broke and dealing with it. My point was..I hate where I live..BUT AT LEAST i dont have to pay too much for that. Rednecks suck..but i cant imagine melrose/hollywood/etc types being anymore tolerable. id love to visit cali a little more in depth...San Fran sounds interesting. I just dont know if LA is my type of town...but what do I know?

SC has it's pro's and cons. I don't think I'd live there based on the redneck factor and lack of a major (or even semi-major) city, but it's not as bad as asprin is tryin to play it. Of course if you break down outside Florence or any other little douchebag place you'll get that feeling. But hey, Charlotte isn't that far away and ... well ... that's not bad.

I hate southern accents.

Oh, and for some reason whenever I think of California (which I've never been to) I think of southern Florida (which I have been to)... like, it has its positives but I mean, come the fuck on. Talk about an ugly spot. Pastel colored houses... even malls? WTF?

I just picture CA as being the same way - must be the faux-Spanish motif.

SC has it's pro's and cons. I don't think I'd live there based on the redneck factor and lack of a major (or even semi-major) city, but it's not as bad as asprin is tryin to play it. Of course if you break down outside Florence or any other little douchebag place you'll get that feeling. But hey, Charlotte isn't that far away and ... well ... that's not bad.

I hate southern accents.

Oh, and for some reason whenever I think of California (which I've never been to) I think of southern Florida (which I have been to)... like, it has its positives but I mean, come the fuck on. Talk about an ugly spot. Pastel colored houses... even malls? WTF?

I just picture CA as being the same way - must be the faux-Spanish motif.

while i dont care for South Carolina for many reasons..one being the ignorant and small minded people that live here, I have come to realize that these people are every fucking where..so i'll just have to deal with it.

SC is a weird and a lot of times scary state, though..dont get me wrong.

while i dont care for South Carolina for many reasons..one being the ignorant and small minded people that live here, I have come to realize that these people are every fucking where..so i'll just have to deal with it.

SC is a weird and a lot of times scary state, though..dont get me wrong.

You better take that traitor talk to Canada where it belongs... EH[/b].

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    This thread is so depressing. You really gotta ask what you're working for if that's the price you pay for your lifestyle.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

yeah but that's why I was asking if he was looking at a job actually in the city of LA or in LA county.

City Of Los Angeles.

• instead of "picturing how things are" why don't yall get off the computer and go see it yourself.

Travel in the 50 states is underrated.

Phil, it sounds like your mind is made up but if I were you I would take a week and see how it feels on the ground. Philly's a small place, very similar to SF (ask Cosmo - he and I have this convo often) whereas I would compare LA to NYC in scope. So it's definitely NOT 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

yeah but that's why I was asking if he was looking at a job actually in the city of LA or in LA county.

City Of Los Angeles.

stay in Philly. haha.

seriously, anything really affordable AND in a good school district is gonna be a 2 hour commute to the city, that's just reality out here.

but check out http://www.losangeles.craigslist.org for rental prices on homes.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Phil, it sounds like your mind is made up but if I were you I would take a week and see how it feels on the ground. Philly's a small place, very similar to SF (ask Cosmo - he and I have this convo often) whereas I would compare LA to NYC in scope. So it's definitely NOT 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

I've been to LA once, about 10 or 11 years ago. I honestly didn't like it all that much when I was there (for such a big city it seemed way more boring than NYC or even Philly), but I've heard so many east coast dudes say they had a ball when they were out there, so maybe it's just me. Or maybe I wasn't at the right spots at the right times, I dunno.
    Regardless, my reason for bringing this thread up is really just to get some info on the economics more than anything. I never had any thoughts of moving to LA until yesterday when I saw how much more you could make in LA doing the same job I'm doing here in Philly. I make pretty a-ight money here, but in LA I would be damn near RICH, beeyatch! ("ghetto" rich, anyway.) But it looks like the cost of living, real estate etc. is significantly higher... maybe too much of a difference to make a move westward worthwhile in the long run.

And btw, Philly is definitely not small... maybe a wee bit smaller in comparison to NYC, LA and a couple others, but still a whole lot bigger than almost every other city in the U.S.

yeah but realize LA isn't just a city it's a county. the actual CITY of LA isn't all that big..but you add in Hollywood, Glendale, Pasadena, Santa Monica, Compton, Watts, Bell, Southgate, all the beaches (hermosa, manhattan, redondo), Malibu, etc and it's a HUGE FUCKING PLACE. never ending city.

plus I bet in Philly they give directions like "take Western to Rose street and take a right, and then take a left on Broadway"

Here in LA it's "take the 134 to the 210 to the 605 to the 10"

• And btw, Philly is definitely not small... maybe a wee bit smaller in comparison to NYC, LA and a couple others, but still a whole lot bigger than almost every other city in the U.S.

Sorry, I didn't mean that way as in size or population. I meant... "provincial"

SF is a big city, too... but dudes are real small time/small town/etc. Not always a bad thing. Just different from "the big city" yahms?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    L.A.?

Never ever, ever ever ever, ever. Ever Ever? Nope.

instead of "picturing how things are" why don't yall get off the computer and go see it yourself.

That's so not why Al Gore invented the Internets. I'm waiting for the day I never have to leave my house ever.

• instead of "picturing how things are" why don't yall get off the computer and go see it yourself.

That's so not why Al Gore invented the Internets. I'm waiting for the day I never have to leave my house ever.

Sure, why would you want to

The internets are so accurate.