Los Angelinos....

bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I would really appreciate your help/suggestions.I'm currently visiting my parents on the central coast of cali (san luis obispo). My dad has some work in LA on thurs/friday, so my mom and I are going to taggalong. I think we're going to do the Gettty on thursday, so thatll occupy much time, I'm sure. I was wondering if any of you guys know of any, or have been to other worthwhile art/photography exhibits lately??Aside from that, any suggestions for food ($ to $$$) and/or somethin to do at night?? (more grown and casual than somewhere to storm the floor---just tryin to mellow and have a few drinks with my dad)--I believe the hotel we're at is near Santa Monica blvd and Colorado Drive??? i believe there is a LA record stores thread buried in the archives--so no need to go there, but I couldnt really find much else(though i swore there was big discussion on eats in LA at some point)--how about shopping for gear? are there concentrated areas all over the place? anything near where I'm staying? i'd like to get new kicks and find some jewlery for the lady.i'm sorry to nag at you like this but my only other resoures are google/LA times, figured i'd cut to the chase. thanks to any and all who have a minute to droppppp that gem.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i believe there is a LA record stores thread buried in the archives--so no need to go there, but I couldnt really find much else(though i swore there was big discussion on eats in LA at some point)--how about shopping for gear? are there concentrated areas all over the place? anything near where I'm staying? i'd like to get new kicks and find some jewlery for the lady.
    silverlake for gear. check dudes from soulstrut for records. every spot i went to in LA had a cover charge. fuckthatshit. holler at shig and asprin, those are the dudes.

• http://www.moca.org/index.php

http://www.lacma.org/

both of these are recommended for art.

check out third street santa monica for gear. main street venice (pretty close to 3rd street) has some stuff for your lady too.

food depends on what you want to eat. there is everything here.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Santa Monica & Colorado is quite near club Zanzibar, which can be quite good...

http://www.la.com/nightlife/danceclubs/zanzibar/259

• shoes: melrose

museums: jurassic technology. i think its in santa monica or somewheres out west.

stuff to do with mom: walk around the disney hall. asprin and laserwolf swear by it. and after that walk up the street and visit that ugly church that looks like it was carved out of dirt. cant remember the name but mr. ghost tells me that a famous architect designed it and the inside is a lot nicer than the outside. i trust mr. ghost's taste. then after you break in your new "kicks", walk on over to the california plaza where they hold free concerts every fri. & sat.

http://www.grandperformances.org/

now, i just hooked you up with a full day of shit and it wont cost you a dime!

as far as food, yeah, if you got something in mind i might be able to help. but like someone said, LA has everything you want [but nothing you need] just kidding!

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    god damn! i make some eggs and a cup of tea and ya'll have done it up. thanks a bundle people, seriously.--edit---food wise, i remember some medditerrainian (sp) joints being big upped--shig, whatcha got for me?

bonus round: whats up with HOUSE PLANT in LA?? can i holler at those clubs?

• also just remembered. get the la weekly when you arrive (not la xpress (unless you want to see shigs advert )). a new one is issued every thursday. has pretty much everything going on in la. its free. will tell you about all the galleries, most of the shows going on. has a few record store adds. tells you about movies. the concert hall is nice. i was there last weekend. they were offering tours i don't know if it is free but could be worthwhile. go up the stairs to the garden. across the street is moca which i already linked, the cathedral is decent, it was designed by spanish architect rafael moneo who in my opinion has done much better. the inside is pretty sparse, but there are some nice details, some of the smaller spaces along the edges are nice. might not be worth it if you don't geek out on architecture like i do.

• god damn! i make some eggs and a cup of tea and ya'll have done it up. thanks a bundle people, seriously.--edit---food wise, i remember some medditerrainian (sp) joints being big upped--shig, whatcha got for me?

bonus round: whats up with HOUSE PLANT in LA?? can i holler at those clubs?

for medditerrainian i recommend haifa (spelled like the coastal city in israel)

map

if you eat meat i've heard the kebab and shwarma are excellent. as a vegetarian i can't recommend highly enough the vegetarian plate with falafel (i think its called this it is listed under apetizers.)

check dynagroove.com for house clubs. i don't really like the headz that run the board but i think everyone posts their nights there. i havent been to a house club in a few years so im not sure whats what anymore. dude who mentioned zanzibar is pretty on point. also temple bar..both for live music.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    there's a real good carribean spot in santa monica - called cha cha chicken, it's on main street and pico a block from the beach. good for breakfast lunch and dinner and its cheap.

5 mins away on main street is a store called undefeated that has all the exclusive kicks if you're willing to shell out $$.

the 3rd street promenade isn't too bad, but it could be tourist hell if you don't like hordes of high school kids and crazy shoppers.

• mediterranean/lebanese food: Marouch Hollywood Restaurant
    4905 Santa Monica Blvd - Los Angeles, CA 323-662-9325

most of east hollywood is ethnic armenian and there are quite a few restaurants with that flavor. marouch is the best imo. or, if you want to do it on the cheap, there's always zankou chicken on sunset and normandie. i think they opened one in west LA too on like sepulveda or somewheres.

oh yeah, if youre here on sat. there's an art-fag-i-mean-nip event in long beach where i'll be representing my gaysian peeps.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

quality has been degreading recently, but still very good.

it doesn't look like much but Empress pavillion is a fun place to get dim sum, Im sure everyone will say the best shits around the corner.

and a dodger dog. chavez ravine. think blue.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

• man, i dont know why these regular hot dogs are so good but they are. like, when youre in the mountains and all you got is some pork n beans, that shit is the fucking gourmet bombastic best shit evar pork n beans in the mountains. but it's just regular ass pork n beans any other time. that is how i feel about dodger dogs. so worth the $7 or however much they rip you off for that shit at dodger stadium.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    hit up some sushi spots in West LA off of Sawtelle.

I like Hide Suski and especially Kiriko(smoked salmon is off the meter as well as red snapper)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Fuck all this.

OAXACAN.

I know I can get an amen from Shig.

Just roll to K-Town. It's like Oaxacan-Town now. Grub it up. Mole, mole, mole.

• Fuck all this.

OAXACAN.

I know I can get an amen from Shig.

Just roll to K-Town. It's like Oaxacan-Town now. Grub it up. Mole, mole, mole.

hallelujah!
    hallelujah!

i took JT here and he called it some good weird mexican shit.

this one's right by my mansion.

Guelaguetza
    3337 1/2 W 8th St
    Los Angeles, CA

this one's about 2 blocks away from the other one and they have a mariachi band on blast usually every night. it's kinda cool, but can get a bit too loud to eat to sometimes.

Guelaguetza
    3014 W Olympic Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA

also, check out mama's tamale cafe at macarthur park along 7th st. also [kinda] in my neighborhood. there those tamale carts but theyre all run by the same company that does this kind of business venture with them cart things for folks that want to get started in that racket. they all pass safety and health codes and each cart has a different variety of tamale like sweet ones, mole filled [my fav], one's wrapped in banana leaf, ones wrapped in corn husk. it's pretty fucking awesome.

• oh yeah. one last thing. if youre coming to koreatown, why fuck around? get your bulgolgi on. if youve never had korean bbq, and you eat the meat [...hey...where's my ayo graemlin?], then get into that bbq, dude.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    hit up some spots in West LA off of Sawtelle.

• hit up some spots in West LA off of Sawtelle.

yuichi should hanasu at that. but yeah, the giant robot stores are right there too so you can hook up your "gear" if by "gear" you mean $40 tshirts and stuff. they got cool toys and books too.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Guelaguetza
    3337 1/2 W 8th St
    Los Angeles, CA

Co-friggin'-sign. I've been here at least twice and I love it. It's not like your normal Mexican - it's pre-Colombian, supposedly healtier and sure as hell tastier.

• Guelaguetza
    3337 1/2 W 8th St
    Los Angeles, CA

Co-friggin'-sign. I've been here at least twice and I love it. It's not like your normal Mexican - it's pre-Colombian, supposedly healtier and sure as hell tastier.

speaking of pre-colombian. you ever see that weird pre-colombian game dudes used to play near the belmont tunnels? its like volleyball mixed with soccer with some dudes holding sticks or something. what is that? i mean, i know its an old central american game but i sat at the tunnels with my little cousin for a good while trying to figure out how to play that.

belmont tunnel RIP

• belmont tunnel RIP

co-sign. my favorite place to paint evar. wake up at 5am roll a joint and paint all day. beer breaks when they started serving tacos. i loved the atmosphere there all day. talked to plenty of interesting people while i was painting. every weekend was a celebration.

speaking of pre-colombian. you ever see that weird pre-colombian game dudes used to play near the belmont tunnels? its like volleyball mixed with soccer with some dudes holding sticks or something. what is that? i mean, i know its an old central american game but i sat at the tunnels with my little cousin for a good while trying to figure out how to play that.

i always thought it was more like tennis mixed with handball.(when i watched them there was no sticks) i.e. hit the ball on one bounce but no racket its your hand (when they hit it far it was the fist). it was also large teams of 10 or so per side and the field was almost soccer field size.

• oh yeah. one last thing. if youre coming to koreatown, why fuck around? get your bulgolgi on. if youve never had korean bbq, and you eat the meat [...hey...where's my ayo graemlin?], then get into that bbq, dude.

what is the Korean bbq? how is the sauce?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    oh yeah. one last thing. if youre coming to koreatown, why fuck around? get your bulgolgi on. if youve never had korean bbq, and you eat the meat [...hey...where's my ayo graemlin?], then get into that bbq, dude.
    Do they got LA kalbi over there? That shit is mighty healthy.