Tatooed Dudes on Reality TV

DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
much to my wife's displeasure i have a weakness for all those bike mechanic build off type programs cluttering the airwaves these days.Anyhow the main thing she hates about these shows is that peeps are constantly cursing each other the fuck out and 80% of the dialogue is all loud ass bleeps and such. Im in agreement with her that hearing the curses would be less irritating than the damn bleeps. anyhow last night on biker build off it was the usual round of bleep bleep bleep and then the dude described a shitty paint job on his frame as GAY. just went on and on about how shit was GAY this GAY that. none of which was bleeped. how do these networks who won't even let a DAMN or an ASS slip through but that gets the pass?i know this is soulstrut hot topic numero uno so it stood out all the more to me.----but i digress to other reality shows featuring overly tatooed dudes in wifebeaters (non pc i know) who's checking Miami Ink?i know we had a thread leading up the show but i aint heard any opinions. While i dig the premise and the dudes on the show im kinda irritated by the format. they seem to constantly interview someone and then replay the EXACT same questions again later. Like you have to hear 5 times that dude is getting the tatoo in honour of blah blah blah.. then another guy has to comment on how its cool dude got the tatoo to honour so and so.. cut to comercial.. come back to REITERATE that dude is gettign a tat to honour so and so.. cut to NEW interview of dude "yo im getting this tat in honour of so and so"if they cut all that out the show would be about 15 minutes im afraid.

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Yeah, Miami ink should be a half hour show. That repetitive shit is annoying. They do really nice work though, and it is fairly entertaining. Much better then that inked show on A&E those dudes are idiots. I don???t think their work is all that good, but its hard to tell because they almost never actually show anyone getting tattooed.

• Gay is not a curse, or even a bad word or slur. He was using it as an adjective. Some things are gay, or look gay. It doesn't mean they're bad, just gay, and that's not the image that this guy wants to portray on his bike. If you want to associate the term gay with something negative, that's your hang up.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i watch all those biker shows too, even though its way out of character (?), and my girl hates them too so i feel your pain there.

i havent heard them use the term "gay" but i dont feel that the term should be used, even as an adjective, that is a stereotype right there. what people associate with "gay" is not necessarily what every single gay individual associates with. and im assuming the term was used becuase it was pink, purple, etc. which is typecasting, period. they shouldn't even be playing that on tv, its just as bad as dropping an n-bomb, imo...

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I love how fuckin PC everyone is around here.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I know exactly what episode you are talking about. Silver and Blue/Maroon paint job right?

I agree the language is over the top, 'were fuckin' bike builders, so we gotta fuckin swear' (and the bleeps are annoying too). But, my beef with those cycle shows is not the language, but the fact that they are not very good craftsmen. All they do is pick their parts from catalogs and piece them together which is easy as pie. And then they act all stressed out about making a deadline (which is the premis of EVERY show).
    Now, if they were to cast their own engine blocks and valve covers, then I'd call them master-craftsmen. But until then: THUMBSDOWN.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Monica from Inked has some nice, fat lips I want to suck on.

Herm

Herm

I would prefer that those lips did the sucking.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

Herm

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Herm

Selfish bastards.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i don't know if it's a PC thing or not. i was just noticing that they take incredible measures to cleanup the languageo n showsd like that.. and then they let the GAY word slide through. And i agree you could certainly say things are gay and not mean the term in a negative way. Like i said i found it interesting that a major network felt it was ok for dude to say that uncensored. Whereas there's been plenty of strut talk about removing said word from the very same context.

which brings up the more meta argument of whether or not said term is offensive or not.

correction though.. show was Build Or Bust not biker build off.. even though dude, Russel has been on both.

buildoff is interesting though.. i dont really care if they make the stuff outta catalogues or by hand its interestign to see who'll come out ontop... that said my fave has got to be dude from Zero Engineering... all custom built shit with parts from the 40's and crap. dude shoulda one against the airbrushed small penis monstrosity he was up against.

and yes that INKED show is prety bad.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    and yes that INKED assclown[/b] is prety bad.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I was watching an episode of South Park the other night, where they went "Let the quints stay, Rumania is BLEEP". So, was gay bleeped because it's obviously not referring to anything stereotypically gay, like the color pink? Weird.

I was watching an episode of South Park the other night, where they went "Let the quints stay, Rumania is BLEEP". So, was gay bleeped because it's obviously not referring to anything stereotypically gay, like the color pink? Weird.

I think that is the answer to the question. They will bleep out 'gay' if it is used in any way OTHER than describing a homosaxual.

• I've been digging Miami Ink more than Inked.

As far as the censorship of "gay" goes, it depends on the network/time of day. I've heard some unbelievable stuff get bleeped out (like "goddamn").

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    in retrospect this program was on the speed network

not on a more mainstream A&E, Discovery channel

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    What annoys me is that South Park and the like are bleeped in production, rather than edited at a later stage. If it's on Swedish TV it's still bleeped, and we don't have censorship against cusswords. But now it's on MTV, broadcasted from England, so I guess I'd be bleeped anyway.

What annoys me is that South Park and the like are bleeped in production, rather than edited at a later stage. If it's on Swedish TV it's still bleeped, and we don't have censorship against cusswords. But now it's on MTV, broadcasted from England, so I guess I'd be bleeped anyway.

does anyone own the Full Season DVDs? are they still bleeped out?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Gay is not a curse, or even a bad word or slur. He was using it as an adjective. Some things are gay, or look gay. It doesn't mean they're bad, just gay, and that's not the image that this guy wants to portray on his bike. If you want to associate the term gay with something negative, that's your hang up.

I think that pretty much sums it up, don't you think?

It would be nice if the gay folks on the board actually voiced their opinion on things like this instead of it always being a hetero point of view.

• What annoys me is that South Park and the like are bleeped in production, rather than edited at a later stage. If it's on Swedish TV it's still bleeped, and we don't have censorship against cusswords. But now it's on MTV, broadcasted from England, so I guess I'd be bleeped anyway.

does anyone own the Full Season DVDs? are they still bleeped out?

You know... I've seen them all, and for the life of me I cant remember...!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    and yes that INKED assclown[/b] is prety bad.

worst sleeves ever...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I love how fuckin PC everyone is around here.

sayin'...it seems if you can take a dick, you can take joke.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    It would be nice if the gay folks on the board actually voiced their opinion on things like this instead of it always being a hetero point of view.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    shig?

• Me and my pals once tried to popularize using the adjective "gay" to mean something cool, or "dope". Kinda like bad meaning good.

Me: "Have you heard this record?"

Pal: "Word, that shit is off the chain!"

Me: "Yeah, it's gay as hell!"

And the like... For some reason, it didn't catch on, and we just gave up.

Peace...
    FNM

And the like... For some reason, it didn't catch on, and we just gave up.

Yeah some reason...

• and yes that INKED assclown[/b] is prety bad.

worst sleeves ever...

I want to get this exact album cover as a backpiece tattoo.