NY......again

pimlicosquirrelpimlicosquirrel 772 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
We are here for 10 days.

we already have a lot planned, but can the strut plaese recommend.....

Bars with interesting design angles and/or unique yet simple food or cocktails (we plan on opening one)
Your favorite high end restaurant

Also if anyone has any interesting events they would like photographed/edited/touched by a professional for free, get at me on the PM. It's partially tax dodge related, but also from love/interest.

Many thanks

Comments

• By the way, I ??? NY.

I just saw a dude walk the aerth with a gasmask, his shorts pulled up over his voluminous belly, black socks W/ Chuck T's. Also a lizard woman with a dog in a bag.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Word to T**???you are a mensch for this recommendation in the pizza thread???he spilled the beans about South Brooklyn Pizza on 1st Ave between 7th St. and St. Mark's. On the right side coming from 7th St. Little hole in the wall that's easy to miss. Their Sicilian slice is the best pizza I have ever had in my life. There's also an amazing little gypsy bar that does infused vodka that I'll get you the name of shortly that's within a few blocks of that pizza spot.

Can't seem to find the name of that gypsy spot. It's on 2nd St. almost on the corner of 2nd Ave. Across the street from the soulless modern shithole. Keep your eyes open and you can't miss it.

Also, if you have the inclination to head to Astoria, Queens, I can give you the really. Amazing Greek food.

• Pizza>>>>>1st Ave between 7th St. and St. Mark's

Gypsy bar>>>>2nd St. almost on the corner of 2nd Ave

We will do both of these and file a fullish report. any other BK recommendations to fullfilliate or expanciate our experience will be greatly received.

Also I do have Greek inclinations.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    South Brooklyn Pizza

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Williamsburg

AVOID AT ALL COSTS: Fatty Cue, Pies and Thighs, Endless Summer Taco Truck. There are plenty more that are somewhat bullshit considering the hype. If there is a line out the door, it just means there is a line out the door, NYers will stand in line for anything these days, see also: brunch.

If you want to spend a lot on elderflower/infused/muddled cocktails with your meal, go to Dressler. I have only been when someone else was picking up the tab mind you. Also, the more you pay in Brooklyn, the more likely you will get terrible, clueless service from people who know nothing about food or wine but have the right look. It's so edgy.

DO:

Lunch:
    Tamales from the taco truck on N6th between Bedford and Berry (close to Academy Records)
    Polish: Kasia's
    Falafel: Oasis

Dinner:
    Italian: PT (in the garden, always quiet but really nice)
    Mexican: La Superior or Carino
    Red Meat or whisky raer: Fette Sau
    Late night drinks & dancing: Bembe.

Hit up DB_Cooper in Astoria I heard he is really into Greek. We just go there for the Titan supermarket, although you could stuff your face while in there quite easily. If you are in Brooklyn Heights, check out Sahadi's food importers for general sights and aromas, these places won't be around for ever.

Me and the lady built and ran a bar here for 6 years - simple menu, cocktails, etc. She is a font of knowledge on speed rails and pricing. Me, I can tell you the dimensions you need for a disabled toilet.

Get out to the far end of Long Island if you can, it's pretty nice. Lots of farms and sea food and Range Rovers.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    That post made me laugh, though I will say that if you can get a carryout version of the Pies n' Thighs fried chicken biscuit, that's one thing I ride HARD for. Love to hit them up at the holiday markets, etc.

If you venture to Brooklyn Heights, walk down to The Clover Club in Boerum Hill. My friend Brad is the bar manager, and can help you out on a lot of things. Call ahead to see if he's working, but he's a font of knowledge, and makes GREAT drinks.
    Food in the neighborhood is good, though along the lines of overpriced brunch & trendy 'cash only/no reservations' places. Frankie's & Prime Meats are both totally LEGIT though... all obnoxiousness aside.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    hot dog cart

• for cocktails: Dutch Kills in LIC (not far from Astoria / Greenpoint). Rustic speak-easy vibe that so many places try to pull off these days, but they do shit right:

residentgiant said:
    for cocktails: Dutch Kills in LIC (not far from Astoria / Greenpoint). Rustic speak-easy vibe that so many places try to pull off these days, but they do shit right:

a quick walk from queens plaza on the NRQ or 7 train. beautiful spot.

Queens on the DL.

I'm psyched myself to try Dutch Kills. For Astoria Greek goodness, Taverna Kyclades on Ditmars is always banged out, but excellent. Agnanti on Ditmars by the park is a better kept secret, and had the best octopus and shrimp I've ever had. And while I'm not really a cart food dude, I make a massive exception for the souvlaki cart on the corner of Ditmars and 33rd. Souvlaki with lemon and salt. Simple but awesome.

Also, not Greek, but the beer garden on 24th Ave and 31st St is the largest remaining in the city from what I understand. Worth a stop if you're in the neighborhood.

there are two beer gardens out there. the og one and the slicked out new one.

DB_Cooper said:
    I'm psyched myself to try Dutch Kills. For Astoria Greek goodness, Taverna Kyclades on Ditmars is always banged out, but excellent. Agnanti on Ditmars by the park is a better kept secret, and had the best octopus and shrimp I've ever had. And while I'm not really a cart food dude, I make a massive exception for the souvlaki cart on the corner of Ditmars and 33rd. Souvlaki with lemon and salt. Simple but awesome.

Also, not Greek, but the beer garden on 24th Ave and 31st St is the largest remaining in the city from what I understand. Worth a stop if you're in the neighborhood.

agnanti is the shit. Cyprian cuisine. i little bit of a trek.

• batmon said:
    there are two beer gardens out there. the og one and the slicked out new one.

The new one's very nicely put together but the crowd is much douchier. Fratboy steez. I don't really mind it if I'm there with a group of friends and holding a table down, but be forewarned.

Apparently there's 54 beer gardens in NYC now, up from 1 just a few years ago... dig this NY times piece:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/nyregion/beer-gardens-growing-steadily-in-new-york.html?_r=1

yeah the clientele at the new one is crazy frat-yuppie. i would avoid the afterwork crowd.

i hear willieburg has a couple.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    Williamsburg

AVOID AT ALL COSTS: Fatty Cue, Pies and Thighs, Endless Summer Taco Truck. There are plenty more that are somewhat bullshit considering the hype. If there is a line out the door, it just means there is a line out the door, NYers will stand in line for anything these days, see also: brunch.

If you want to spend a lot on elderflower/infused/muddled cocktails with your meal, go to Dressler. I have only been when someone else was picking up the tab mind you. Also, the more you pay in Brooklyn, the more likely you will get terrible, clueless service from people who know nothing about food or wine but have the right look. It's so edgy.

DO:

Lunch:
    Tamales from the taco truck on N6th between Bedford and Berry (close to Academy Records)
    Falafel: Oasis

Dinner:
    Italian: PT (in the garden, always quiet but really nice)
    Mexican: La Superior or Carino
    Red Meat or whisky raer: Fette Sau
    Late night drinks & dancing: Bembe.

Hit up DB_Cooper in Astoria I heard he is really into Greek. We just go there for the Titan supermarket, although you could stuff your face while in there quite easily. If you are in Brooklyn Heights, check out Sahadi's food importers for general sights and aromas, these places won't be around for ever.

Me and the lady built and ran a bar here for 6 years - simple menu, cocktails, etc. She is a font of knowledge on speed rails and pricing. Me, I can tell you the dimensions you need for a disabled toilet.

Get out to the far end of Long Island if you can, it's pretty nice. Lots of farms and sea food and Range Rovers.

Bravo! Someone got it right.

I don't know about Carino -- but cosign many times over on La Superior. I honestly like that place for mexican more than anywhere I've been in LA. And for bbq - fette sau is quite impressive for being in Williamsburgh. that's the only line I've stood in that actually is sort of worth it (namely bc there's no GOOD bbq in NY) Only other WillyB jump is Luger's - you know the drill there.

But SO true about NY folk and lines. Friend of a Farmer is one of the blandest and most laughable breakfasts I've had in my lifetime. But on the weekend, be prepared to wait upwards of an hour. so ass backwards.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    Williamsburg

i kinda think Kasia's is a little blah and would suggest walking up bedford to manhattan ave and eating at Lomzynianka, which is the probably the best old school polish joint still left... that said, arguing over polish food is like fighting over a homely chick...

big co-sign on Fette Sau... the sides are weak, but i like that they are creative with their meats and usually pull off whatever they're going for...

Bars with interesting design angles and/or unique yet simple food or cocktails (we plan on opening one)

if you can swing a reservation @ Milk and Honey, it's worth checking out... i haven't been for years, so i don't know if it's still hard to get in, but they basically pioneered that whole old timey specialty cocktails and speakeasy shit that has taken over as of late...

on a similiar tip, the Campbell Apartment on top of Grand Central is worth having a drink at.... best to go when it's quiet, so you can really take in the decor...

• Thanks for all the suggestion, we'll try and check out as much as we can. We extended our stay here, too much to do. Over the next couple of weeks P-Funk, EPMD, Special Ed, Bt Express, Dj Quik, the mind doth boggle.

Overheard yesterday "IF YOU DON'T LIKE PIGEONS, MOVE TO JERSEY MOTHERFUCKER!.......AND IF ANY OF YOU OTHER MOTHERFUCKERS DON'T LIKE PIGEONS, FUCK YOU TOO!"

• My friend is the chef / owner of a great latin / carribean restaurant and wine bar in Brooklyn (Park Slope). He built out the first floor of a brownstone for the restaurant and lives upstairs. It's beautiful -- crazy woodwork and art, rooftop garden, local wines, really high quality. And it's a great date spot. Anyway, it's called Palo Santo and very reasonably priced.

www.palosanto.us

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    meistromoco said:
    My friend is the chef / owner of a great latin / carribean restaurant and wine bar in Brooklyn (Park Slope). He built out the first floor of a brownstone for the restaurant and lives upstairs. It's beautiful -- crazy woodwork and art, rooftop garden, local wines, really high quality. And it's a great date spot. Anyway, it's called Palo Santo and very reasonably priced.

www.palosanto.us

My friend got married there, beautiful spot.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    In case this is not on the radar: B&H is a must for camera gear or just to see the Hasids and the conveyor belts.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    In case this is not on the radar: B&H is a must for camera gear or just to see the Hasids and the conveyor belts.
    "Moishe is your, man. Moishe will give you the best help and the best price"

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    We are here for 10 days.

we already have a lot planned, but can the strut plaese recommend.....

Your favorite high end restaurant

Also if anyone has any interesting events they would like photographed/edited/touched by a professional for free, get at me on the PM. It's partially tax dodge related, but also from love/interest.

Many thanks
    If you want to see a couple of the city's finest restaurant interiors you should check out Brasserie on 53rd b/t Park and Lex and Lever House also on 53rd a block west. They're both super expensive and over-rated for food, but a couple drinks will give you a gander.

Also check out Bozu in Williamsbug for both the sushi and decor.

• My partner buys her equipment from B&H so it's defiantly on the cards.

Saw P-Funk for free at Metrotech Park today :hard_as_fuck: , such a great spot for a party as well, yall are spoilt.

Were they actually good? Who's in the band now?

Cosign on Bozu, get the Party Bomb and a Shiso Mojito.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Dropped some dough at B&H today- shit is a fucking scene, it's nuts.

Just make sure to go before sundown and Friday, and closed Saturday.

• Horseleech said:

They were incredible, I've heard some smack about George Clinton shows in the past so I wasn't expecting much.

20+ people on stage at any given time, Michael Hampton tore it up, Clintons daughter was nice with the rhymes and I may never hear right again because of Mary Griffin.

GEORGE CLINTON - LEAD VOCALS, REFEREE

Garry "Starchild" Shider - Rhythm Guitar, vocals
    Michael "Kidd Funkadelic" Hampton - Lead Guitar
    Cardell "Boogie" Mosson - Rhythm Guitar, Vocals
    Ricardo Rouse - Guitar,
    Lige Curry - Bass, Vocals
    RonKat Spearman - Guitar, Vocals
    Frankie "Kash" Waddy - Drums
    Joseph "Foley" McCreary - Drums
    Rico Lewis - Drums
    Jerome Rogers - Keyboards
    Michael "Clip" Payne - Keyboards, Vocals
    Bennie Cowan - Trumpet
    Greg Thomas - Saxophone, vocals
    Robert "P-Nut" Johnson - Vocals
    Belita Woods - Vocals
    Steve Boyd - Vocals
    Kimberly Manning - Vocals
    Kendra Foster - Vocals
    Shonda "Sativa Diva" Clinton - Rap
    Carlos "Sir Nose"McMurray - Dancer
    Shaunna Hall - Guitar
    Gene "Poo Poo Man" Anderson - Vocals
    Danny Bedrosian - Keyboards
    Tracey Lewis - Rapper & Vocals & Guitar
    Paul Hill - Vocals
    Mary Griffin - Vocals
    Patricia Walker- Vocals

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Bozu is great, one of the few places left from the boho golden era (2004, LOL) before the current Edison Steampunk Hunting Lodge facsimile (outsider money!) that has taken over. But you don't leave thinking 'Shit, cannot, move, I am stuffed'. I guess that can be a good thing. They really care about their little soy sauces as well!

pimlicosquirrel said:
    Horseleech said:

They were incredible, I've heard some smack about George Clinton shows in the past so I wasn't expecting much.

Good to know, as I haven't heard good things about them in years.

Garry Shider wasn't there, though. (RIP)

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    if you were in town for a few weeks you could catch this documentary screening and exhibit at BAM