Options

Civil War 150th Anniversary

edited April 2011 in Strut Central
http://www.balloon-juice.com/2011/04/13/and-the-war-came/#more-66093

The right side won. It's good when that happens.

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Only 150 years? America, you have come a long way.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    BobDesperado said:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I'll never forget the first time I visited the south. I went to a civil war museum in Wilmington NC with some friends while on spring break. We all got very high beforehand. When we left, we all got back in the car and I turned to the guys and said, "I know I am really baked right now I could have sworn that the according to what we just saw no one really won that war." There wasn't a single reference in the museum to the outcome of the war.

It is beyond repulsive that a bunch of murderous traitors are in the business of celebrating southern history by flying the rebel flag and commemorating rebel soldiers in any manner.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    paging Harvey Canal...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    BobDesperado said:

And remembering it is no guarantee that you won't repeat it anyway.

• Options
    Horseleech said:
    Rockadelic said:
    BobDesperado said:

I'm not sure the war ever ended.

• DrWu said:
    It is beyond repulsive that a bunch of murderous traitors are in the business of celebrating southern history by flying the rebel flag and commemorating rebel soldiers in any manner.

Dude. Traitors?
    That sounds really ignorant. Regular folks were enlisted and killed by the tens of thousands on both sides.

BobDesperado said:
    Horseleech said:
    Rockadelic said:
    BobDesperado said:

I'm not sure the war ever ended.

So the millions of Yankees that have moved down South in the last 30 years are just infiltrating??

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    vinylstalker said:
    DrWu said:

Dude. Traitors?
    That sounds really ignorant. Regular folks were enlisted and killed by the tens of thousands on both sides.

Are you kidding? These "regular" folks sought to violently overthrow the gov't of the United States of America. That is treason. You maybe not be aware that you can get the death penalty for treason. Just in case your are unfamiliar with the definitions of treason and traitor.

trai??tor
    ??? ???/??tre??t??r/ Show Spelled[trey-ter] Show IPA
    ???noun
    a person who betrays another, a cause, or any trust.
    a person who commits treason by betraying his or her country.

• Are you kidding? These "regular" folks sought to violently overthrow the gov't of the United States of America. That is treason. You maybe not be aware that you can get the death penalty for treason. Just in case your are unfamiliar with the definitions of treason and traitor.

trai??tor
    ???noun

Again, that sounds ignorant.
    I've got a history degree. I've studied the civil war.
    A majority of the "rebel" soldiers on the ground dying each day were poor, uneducated people
    who were drafted into a war they barely understood.

Read some books about it.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    vinylstalker said:
    DrWu said:

Dude. Traitors?

Are you kidding? These "regular" folks sought to violently overthrow the gov't of the United States of America. That is treason. You maybe not be aware that you can get the death penalty for treason. Just in case your are unfamiliar with the definitions of treason and traitor.

trai??tor
    ???noun

Plaese be serious.

vinylstalker said:
    DrWu said:

Dude. Traitors?

Not to mention that many were forced to fight and had no clear idea what the war was about. The average person could barely read back then.

It's possible to hate the Confederacy and still mourn the fact that a staggering number of people were killed

Rule of thumb in a Civil War....

Losers = Traitors

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "It is beyond repulsive that a bunch of murderous traitors are in the business of celebrating southern history by flying the rebel flag and commemorating rebel soldiers in any manner."

I understood this quote to mean that people who celebrate the confederacy are traitors.
    If you live in the USA, and you celebrate a country that tried to violently overthrow the USA, you are a traitor. IMO.

The argument that the Confederate army was just a bunch of dumb hillbillys who didn't know what they were doing doesn't fly.

If you want to argue that Confederate pride was misplaced and the death of soldiers is sad, fine.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Wasn't it the other way around? With the United States government choosing to intefere with the longstanding laws of states that made up its Union?

That was actually the whole shebang in a nutshell...states rights versus federal mandates.

And as I've mentioned on this site before, Dixie and its flag represented far more than just an endorsement of slavery.

LaserWolf said:
    The argument that the Confederate army was just a bunch of dumb hillbillys who didn't know what they were doing doesn't fly.

Nobody here said they were dumb.

What's your take? That they were all educated, politically astute and bound by singular vision?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

trai??tor
    ???noun

Again, that sounds ignorant.
    I've got a history degree. I've studied the civil war.
    A majority of the "rebel" soldiers on the ground dying each day were poor, uneducated people
    who were drafted into a war they barely understood.

Read some books about it.

I was a history major too. So I have read up on my read ups. You can slice and dice it any way you want. The vast majority of southerners supported the war against the union, including most of those who fought in it. Simply put that was treason. You may wish to see them as ignorant pawns in a game but you would be totally misrepresenting the truth just like that museum which failed to accurately portray the results of the war was doing.

Forgot this one in my previous post.

trea??son
    ??? ???/??triz??n/ Show Spelled[tree-zuhn] Show IPA
    ???noun
    the offense of acting to overthrow one's government or to harm or kill its sovereign.
    a violation of allegiance to one's sovereign or to one's state.
    the betrayal of a trust or confidence; breach of faith; treachery.

It's not your governemt anymore if you have seceded from it.

Horseleech said:
    LaserWolf said:

What's your take? That they were all educated, politically astute and bound by singular vision?

As the good DR said:
    "The vast majority of southerners supported the war against the union, including most of those who fought in it. Simply put that was treason. You may wish to see them as ignorant pawns in a game but you would be totally misrepresenting the truth"

Secession does not equal "Violently Overthrowing" the government.

And that is why the Civil War began...Secession by the South.

Hilarious that some of y'all Yanks are still mad.

• Options
    HarveyCanal said:
    And as I've mentioned on this site before, Dixie and its flag represented far more than just an endorsement of slavery.

True. Since the use and display of the Confederate battle flag saw a huge revival as a response to the Civil Rights movement it also represents murdering civil rights workers and setting dogs on peaceful protestors and bombing churches with little girls in them.

Far, far more.

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science. It has been so even amongst us. Many who hear me, perhaps, can recollect well, that this truth was not generally admitted, even within their day. The errors of the past generation still clung to many as late as twenty years ago. Those at the North, who still cling to these errors, with a zeal above knowledge, we justly denominate fanatics. All fanaticism springs from an aberration of the mind from a defect in reasoning. It is a species of insanity. One of the most striking characteristics of insanity, in many instances, is forming correct conclusions from fancied or erroneous premises; so with the anti-slavery fanatics. Their conclusions are right if their premises were. They assume that the negro is equal, and hence conclude that he is entitled to equal privileges and rights with the white man. If their premises were correct, their conclusions would be logical and just but their premise being wrong, their whole argument fails. I recollect once of having heard a gentleman from one of the northern States, of great power and ability, announce in the House of Representatives, with imposing effect, that we of the South would be compelled, ultimately, to yield upon this subject of slavery, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics, as it was in physics or mechanics. That the principle would ultimately prevail. That we, in maintaining slavery as it exists with us, were warring against a principle, a principle founded in nature, the principle of the equality of men. The reply I made to him was, that upon his own grounds, we should, ultimately, succeed, and that he and his associates, in this crusade against our institutions, would ultimately fail. The truth announced, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics as it was in physics and mechanics, I admitted; but told him that it was he, and those acting with him, who were warring against a principle. They were attempting to make things equal which the Creator had made unequal. " - Alexander Stephens, the Vice President of the Confederacy, telling the truth about his American Reich.

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.asp?documentprint=76

Shall I go through the list of negative things the American flag represents...I mean negative things to the point that none of the positive things ever existed?

You chest-beating Yankees obviously have an inferiority complex when it comes to the South.

But yes, the Ole Miss football team = pure evil.

HarveyCanal said:

Only the ones that are still stuck up there.

HarveyCanal said:
    Wasn't it the other way around?United States government choosing to intefere with the longstanding laws of states

That was actually the whole shebang in a nutshell...states rights versus federal mandates.

IMO, it was not the other way around.
    Let's be clear and honest.
    You are talking about slavery. Nothing else. So say it.

United States government choosing to intefere with the slavery laws of states
    That was actually the whole shebang in a nutshell...slavery versus freedom,.

If you want to argue that the states should have the right to enslave humans, then say it.

Dixie, the American South, is a great place. The confederate flag is a poor way to represent the South.

• "Letter from Jourdan Anderson to His Former Master" (1865)

http://us.history.wisc.edu/hist102/pdocs/anderson_letter.pdf

:oh_snap:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

I dunno...seems like the Southerners are the ones still mad about it, considering that they still harbor a grudge about it ("The War of Northern Aggression?" Really?). Most "Yanks" (including myself) don't really care about it to anywhere near that extent.

LaserWolf said:
    Horseleech said:
    LaserWolf said:

As the good DR said:
    "The vast majority of southerners supported the war against the union, including most of those who fought in it. Simply put that was treason. You may wish to see them as ignorant pawns in a game but you would be totally misrepresenting the truth"

I said many, not most, and if you think all of the 250,000+ soldiers who were killed all have the same story the it's you who is doing the misrepresenting.

• LaserWolf said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Wasn't it the other way around?United States government choosing to intefere with the longstanding laws of states

IMO, it was not the other way around.
    Let's be clear and honest.
    You are talking about slavery. Nothing else. So say it.

United States government choosing to intefere with the slavery laws of states
    That was actually the whole shebang in a nutshell...slavery versus freedom,.

If you want to argue that the states should have the right to enslave humans, then say it.

Dixie, the American South, is a great place. The confederate flag is a poor way to represent the South.

Wow. Just wow.

Like Harv, I'm from and live in the south, (well, texas gets a pass here) and I really shouldn't be suprised
    y'all think this way, but my man, history refutes you here. Slavery was far from the only reason for the civil war, and
    was only brought up as the main reason by politicians when things the death toll rose to staggering numbers
    and popular support was wavering.