It's been 17 years....

BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
today, since Kurt Cobain's death.
R.I.P.
Dude was and still is incredible imo.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Schitt yeah. Rewatched the complete unplugged performance with the reheasals and its crazy thinking what was goin on in his life at that time. During taping he was trying to kick and you could see the pain in his behaviors. Pretty intense stuff. Amazing performance.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Crazy to see all these Grunge Rock Stars approach their mid 40s.

My local Borders has this book in their bargain bins:

Sooo good.

• and the kid on the front of Nevermind has graduated college. I'm old.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    one of the greats. ive been looking for a clean mp3 of the peel sessions show cuz the official release has some crappy fade-ins on some of the bangers. the full length version i have of love buzz peel sessions is compressed to all hell.

• RAJ said:
    Crazy to see all these Grunge Rock Stars approach their mid 40s.

My local Borders has this book in their bargain bins:

Sooo good.

I might have to go to Borders and find me a copy there since they're having a HUGE discount sale. One of the few frontmen who I could literally FEEL the words he was saying. His pain and joy just came through on the record. Sorely missed, but never gone.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    r.i.p
    such a shame. mental illness is a bitch
    teen spirit is one of the songs of the century

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Until I opened this thread, I really had no idea that it's been nearly 2 decades. Nirvana was still getting heavy, heavy airplay on the rock station I used to listen to in junior high and high school, although I graduated over a decade after Cobain's death. When I think back to age 12 or so when I started paying attention to music, Nirvana is always among the bands that comes to mind. Dave Grohl's bands Queens of the Stone Age and the Foo Fighters definitely helped extend the Nirvana presence in mainstream music, IMO. Come to think of it, the Cobain's voice was no doubt some sort of marker of my adolescence, as corny as that sounds.

Whenever I hear mention of the 90s or "Gen X," I can't help but think of Nirvana, which was a definitive part of the 90s grunge scene. As Jigsaw implied, fans really felt what the band had to say and Cobain seemed to capture the sentiments of young America at the time.

A bit off topic, but I was listening to some rock/indie rock radio recently and came across a band called Cage the Elephant out of Bowling Green, KY. The frontman is eerily Cobain-esque, from the appearance to the voice to the demeanor. I have a feeling that many on the Strut would excuse CtheE as alt rock trash, but if this was 1990 again and if we were kids again, I think we'd appresh.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Still one of the very best after 17 years.. better than pretty much anything that has come along since. Still more appealing. I've often wondered why that is. Maybe its the song writing and music, or because it was the first band I really connected with. Maybe it was the overall vibe and message they put across. Maybe its because the rug got pulled out from under everyones feet in a sense and left them wanting more, or because I know nothing new will be recorded. I think a lot of it has to do with how enigmatic it all seemed.

There probably isn't a month goes by where I don't listen to Nirvana at some point. I don't have any particular favourite track, I can't really pinpoint any favourite album. All of it was great. I appreciate Bleach as much as I do Unplugged.

Nevermind sounds as awesome, relevant and challenging now as it did when it came out. I'm sure if it was being released now for the first time, it would still rise to the top.

I wonder what Kurt would've done music-wise if he was around today.

• my 6 year old son is a fan! i'd play Nirvana tapes while we drove around and he got hooked. No other rock band can hold up in his opinion.
    i regret never seeing them perform. i had tickets to see a concert, and the car i was in got into an accident en route to the show. we didnt make it, and a few months later Cobain was dead.

• beatstew72 said:
    my 6 year old son is a fan! i'd play Nirvana tapes while we drove around and he got hooked. No other rock band can hold up in his opinion.
    i regret never seeing them perform. i had tickets to see a concert, and the car i was in got into an accident en route to the show. we didnt make it, and a few months later Cobain was dead.

I saw them live, dudes were leaping from the second floor balconies into the unsuspecting crowd below during Teen Spirit.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Crazy ish was I used to drive by his house on the way to work EVERYDAY and for like a year I didn't know it was his house. I just kept thinking, "man that place looks familiar." It wasn't until I saw a bunch of tourists having their picture taken in front of the gate when I put it all together.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Man, listening to this one on my headphones at work and I've got to literally stop myself from ripping down cubicle walls as I scream like a banshee...

Nothing gets me going like some early Nirvana. Highest I've ever jumped in my life, repeatedly no less, was when I saw them live back in '91 and they played Love Buzz. Seriously, the idea was to jump between people in the pit, yet I was jumping over them instead.

However Nirvana gets characterized, as artsy or provocative or whatever, they are nothing short of the best go-go juice in the world to me.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Yes. Saba was there. I saw them again at the Warfield with L7 and Sister Double happiness a year or two later. Harvey, that subpop mixer is great. I was listening to it the otehr day when someone posted that Fluid thread. I moved from S.F. to Seattle via Pullman/Moscow in 91 or 92, originally wanted to move to Tacoma because that's where Girl Trouble was from. Remember all these acts from the Crocodile cafe, etc.. Grunge was in the news, but the Seattle garage rock/punk rock scene was where it was at. Kurt died only months after I left to ome back to NYC.

grandpa_shig said:
    one of the greats. ive been looking for a clean mp3 of the peel sessions show cuz the official release has some crappy fade-ins on some of the bangers. the full length version i have of love buzz peel sessions is compressed to all hell.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nhnnzzzbuym

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I remember when Nevermind came out and how much of an impact that record had. My friends and I would smoke weed and turn all the lights off in my apartment then smash into each other til we broke something. Good times.

On a random note, I did a show with Moodymann a few months ago and he dropped "Come As You Are" in the middle of his set. Schitt was epic.

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    downtownrobbrown said:
    and the kid on the front of Nevermind has graduated college. I'm old.
    whatever, nevermind

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    ...and there hasn't been a good rock band at the top of the charts since...sad but true (I suppose Radiohead in the late 90s wasnt terrible) but it is safe to say popular/top of the charts rock music in the last 2 decades has been abysmal...

loved 'em...I was at the prime age to eat that shit up...I was 18 when I heard bleach and 20 when I first saw 'em...so good.

my first Nirvana show:

• Options
    Not a whole lot there for me.

RIP

Smoking is big in the music business, I guess. Also, I always see restaurant people step outside in group to smoke. There is a university extension center building next to the field I used to work it where Japanese people gather to smoke. Quite frankly, I can't stand the stuff.

But, I know people sell cigarettes, alternatives for smoking, and that doctors treat smoking related health problems.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    day said:
    dropped "Come As You Are" in the middle of his set. Schitt was epic.

I wish I could find some audio of the 2004 DJs on Strike 12" of Nirvana remixes. People used to straight up fucking flip out to those tracks.

soulone said:

RIP

Smoking is big in the music business, I guess. Also, I always see restaurant people step outside in group to smoke. There is a university extension center building next to the field I used to work it where Japanese people gather to smoke. Quite frankly, I can't stand the stuff.

But, I know people sell cigarettes, alternatives for smoking, and that doctors treat smoking related health problems.

now what the hell are you talking about?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Ban Soulone

this new generation of poasters are quite the confident group of whippersnappers.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    jaymack said:
    this new generation of poasters are quite the ignorant group of jackasses.

there, fixed

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    ban a few dozen as an example to the others

• Soulhawk said:
    ban a few dozen as an example to the others

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    jaymack said:
    grandpa_shig said:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nhnnzzzbuym

Thanks for this. Being looking for this session for a while.

Recently saw this and really enjoyed it. I like the way its done.. the fact that it has no footage of Kurt or any music by Nirvana, and its not dressed up or overstated. Its just a guys musings about life. Really puts the fame thing in perspective.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Nevermind was the first record that really grabbed me musically that wasn't one of my dad's albums. I was in fourth grade and visiting my skateboarder, then high-school aged cousin in Colorado. We would just blast it loud all day. I've been obsessed with music ever since!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    soulone said:

RIP

BAN

• not typical nirvana, but i love this cover of 'in the pines'

RIP