Your Shit List

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If you already know me, Rob is fine. But Robby, Bobby, or Bob makes me punchy.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    batmon said:
    pickwick33 said:
    People who call me "Jim"

This doesn't bother me, but looking back on my college years, this was really popular with my college professors, for some reason. Seems like every other teacher was all too willing to change my slave name from "James" to "Jim."

I wouldnt call that act on "my shit list" but i dont like when someone who doesnt know me call me Dave.

My name is David, you can call your doorman or some little kid a shortened version of their name, but show me full respect when addressing me. You wouldnt call your Boss or authority figure by anything but their proper name.
    Its a subtle inferiority type move. Your noyt seeing me as a whole. Youve turned my shit into cutesy shortened version because you see me as that.
    I dont refer to myself as Dave Walker. My voicemail aint Dave Walker. Only my momma and my old school folks call me Dave.

Get it right bitch.

how do you feel about Davey?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    batmon said:
    pickwick33 said:
    People who call me "Jim"

This doesn't bother me, but looking back on my college years, this was really popular with my college professors, for some reason. Seems like every other teacher was all too willing to change my slave name from "James" to "Jim."

I wouldnt call that act on "my shit list" but i dont like when someone who doesnt know me call me Dave.

My name is David, you can call your doorman or some little kid a shortened version of their name, but show me full respect when addressing me. You wouldnt call your Boss or authority figure by anything but their proper name.
    Its a subtle inferiority type move. Your noyt seeing me as a whole. Youve turned my shit into cutesy shortened version because you see me as that.
    I dont refer to myself as Dave Walker. My voicemail aint Dave Walker. Only my momma and my old school folks call me Dave.

Get it right bitch.

Old Schhol buddies call me Wavey as in Wavey Davey.
    ONE special ol' lady friend calls me Davey with affection.
    Or my old co-worker says in as a joke in the Davey & Goliath dog voice.

But if you dont know me, a grown ass man shouldnt be calling me Davey.
    Im not some 22 year old whippersnapper.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    If you already know me, Rob is fine. But Robby, Bobby, or Bob makes me punchy.

how well does someone have to know you to call you Rashied though?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Patronizing internet trolls who think they are better than other internet trolls.

lol

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    james said:

- Dave Eggers

just spotted this... have you read : "what is the what?" ? Loved that book..

white people who claim to be afraid of Islam...while muslims ..and euh well..arabs, blacks, browns ..heck everybody should be the ones who are afraid of them... It is so Crazy!!!!!!!!!!! super tactics...point the finger in the other direction...oh islam this islam that..get the motherfuck outta here!

• Okem said:
    the new poasters on ss.

crabmongerfunk said:
    Okem said:
    the new poasters on ss.

Time for some Tim Dog.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    batmon said:
    Maybe it's because I'm not a black dude, but I don't get that infantilizing vibe so much as a fake-intimacy vibe. This unspoken "Yeah, your name is James, but I bet your buddies--like me!--all call you Jim, right?"

My man Bread used to call me "Top Jimmy" whenever he got slizzard, and I let that slide. Everybody else can catch it.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Okem said:
    the new poasters on ss.

Thats so childish man... just because you found out about this site before others ..does that make you more special...?

james said:
    batmon said:
    Maybe it's because I'm not a black dude, but I don't get that infantilizing vibe so much as a fake-intimacy vibe. This unspoken "Yeah, your name is James, but I bet your buddies--like me!--all call you Jim, right?"

My man Bread used to call me "Top Jimmy" whenever he got slizzard, and I let that slide. Everybody else can catch it.

Yeah, it can be either/or, but im usually good at detecting the FEEL of it.

I remember in high-school an administrator subbed in for one my science classes.
    He had us play a language game. And one of them was how we address certain folks.
    Mr Spenser the school doorman was commonly known as "Spense".
    Teachers and administrators are always called by their proper name, never a nickname unless your talmbout them behind their back.

• Options
    I'm from eastern Kentucky and my best childhood friend called me Bean Burrito.

It was homage to my love for dem.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    dudes that treat a website like its their corner.. like someone is taking something from them..
    respect a person that respects you.. but dont disrespect someone you dont even know..
    you supposed to be grown men.. this is whats wrong woth the world

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    fall back & stop posting for a while

your poasts are garbage

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    fall back & stop posting for a while

your poasts are garbage

never mind. too old.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I'm just the opposite with the name thing. I go by Josh. When anyone calls me Joshua it sounds weird to me. My middle name is Jacob so there are a lot of names I go by:
    Josh
    JJ
    J
    Jake
    or
    Jacob

For some reason I don't like being refered to as Joshua. Sounds too formal.

Jamal said:
    dudes that treat a website like its their corner.. like someone is taking something from them..
    respect a person that respects you.. but dont disrespect someone you dont even know..

U know BANNING keeps u off of certain corners?

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    batmon said:
    Jamal said:

and why should I be banned..?

damn, I really thought this was a cool place to hang out, music and other interests, but if its a not an open forum, then you should close it.. I treat people with respect(unless they dont show me respect) on or off the internet its all the same for me...so whats the problem here? We're too old for this man.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    ALWAYS so fun

Jamal said:
    batmon said:
    Jamal said:

and why should I be banned..?

damn, I really thought this was a cool place to hang out, music and other interests, but if its a not an open forum, then you should close it.. I treat people with respect(unless they dont show me respect) on or off the internet its all the same for me...so whats the problem here? We're too old for this man.

I didnt say you should be banned, dude. Im just pointing out that folks can be bumped out a community for certain behavior.

Reel it in a little. Be yourself ,but dont react to everything.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    I'm just the opposite with the name thing. I go by Josh. When anyone calls me Joshua it sounds weird to me. My middle name is Jacob so there are a lot of names I go by:
    Josh
    JJ
    J
    Jake
    or
    Jacob

For some reason I don't like being refered to as Joshua. Sounds too formal.

You can call me Ray
    Or you can call me Jay
    Or you can call me Johnny
    Or you can call me Sonny
    Or you can call me RJJ
    Or you can call me RJJ Junior
    But ya doesn't has to call me Mr. Johnson

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    batmon said:

I didnt say you should be banned, dude. Im just pointing out that folks can be bumped out a community for certain behavior.

Reel it in a little. Be yourself ,but dont react to everything.

ah ok.

true.

• Jamal said:

how many internet forums have you been on?

sometimes some folks drop gems that piques the community and it allows a quick matriculation into the club, while other individuals usually have to post a shit ton before anyone even responds to their comments. and then of course there are folks who just get shat on (with or without reason). not directing this at the strut specifically, but just at internet forums in general. i dont think i've ever seen one where everyones welcoming all new members with open arms and shouts of joy simply because there's another contributor.

people are protective of their time investments i guess

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    The old hag who pushes in front of me on the tram. Lady, I would have let you on first, thats how I was raised but you didn't even give me a chance.

Checkout lady - thats my food you are slaloming down the counter, take it easy.

Tough guy doing curls in the squat rack. I get it man, your gnarly biceps are pumped and you need to check them out as you growl the mirror, but im just here to do my fuckin squats chief.

Random Dutch person: I know I speak with an accent, funnily enough everyone born outside this tiny country does when we attempt to speak your language. Please, if I pronounce hallo as hello, cut me some fuckin slack, I dont pretend I can't understand your English. Frikandel.

Parents at the playground that eyeball me. Yes I have tattoos, I am here with my kids Poindexter, fall back.

My name is Alan. not Al. Don't go there. And the next cheeky chappy that hits me with "Big Al" is going to get laid out.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    batmon said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    batmon said:
    pickwick33 said:
    People who call me "Jim"

Get it right bitch.

Old Schhol buddies call me Wavey as in Wavey Davey.
    ONE special ol' lady friend calls me Davey with affection.
    Or my old co-worker says in as a joke in the Davey & Goliath dog voice.

But if you dont know me, a grown ass man shouldnt be calling me Davey.
    Im not some 22 year old whippersnapper.

Kind of related, I remember cringing when this stupid British presenter interviewed James Brown before his Glastonbury performance. He couldn't make the distinction between knowing the person's music for decades and (not) knowing the person himself. When JB entered the room 30 min late as usual, he started the with the immortally crap line "James there you are, I finally get to meet you". To which the Godfather of soul snapped tautly, "To you I'm Mr Brown" It was a short lived down hill ride from there on.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    PEOPLE WHO TYPE LIKE THIS.

Enough, already!

elise said:
    PEOPLE WHO TYPE LIKE THIS.

Enough, already!

oR f0Lx dAt tYpE l+eye+K dIS.

I know an adult that does this uppercase/lower case font mix shit. Its terrible.
    Dude you have kids. Stop that.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    it's funny how much you think you know someone from reading their posts for years. and really you don't know sh*t about them. everyone is different in real life. i bet over half the regulars here are easily people that you could have a civilized drink and a conversation with. forums make people talk shit.