DIY 45 distribution

frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
So I'm looking at pressing up my own 45, here in Australia
We have 2 pressing plants down here, and a small run of 200 looks to be just under $1500 (cutting / label / press / sleeves)

I'm hoping that the majority of them will be sold here in Australia - But I am doing a visit to New York in a few months, and want to bring a bunch of them with me.

While I'm there I'm hoping I get a chance to put a few "promo's" directly in the hands of a few DJ's - and also want to hit up some record stores directly to see if they will take any to sell.

So my question is: How feasable is this? Having never done this before I'm looking for some advice:

- Will stores pay me directly on the day for the records they take? (I don't really want to have to chase up invoices once I'm back in Australia)
- How much could I expect a store to pay for a 45?
- would it be better to press and distribute in the states, and take the remainder back home with me? (not being there during the critical pressing time does concern me)

Obviously, pressing up only 200 is a costly affair, and I know it's unlikely I'll make my money back - The whole excercise is really just for my own personal experience - But any info / assistance on this that helps keep the loss down would be greatly appreciated..

Comments

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    1500$ is insane for 200 45s. The pressing shouldn`t be more than 500$. I`m sure you can get it much cheaper in the US or in Europe.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    1500$ is insane for 200 45s. The pressing shouldn`t be more than 500$. I`m sure you can get it much cheaper in the US or in Europe.

This is a little low, as lacquers/plating/set up is about $400 alone, but yeah - $1500 is insane, don't do it.

I'm guessing that it would be around $900 with sleeves - bear in mind that the cost for 500 would only be slightly more. You could save money by being creative and making the sleeves yourself.

As far as the other stuff, a lot of it depends on the music so it's hard to say.

If somebody like you walked into my store and we thought your single was good, we'd pay you up front. If it was more than $3/45 I would probably take fewer of them. Once the retail price is over $5/45 sales would be slower unless it had some kind of a buzz around it.

If I were you I'd have them pressed at a place like United and have the test press sent to somebody you trust in the states to approve it.

• you realize your unit price will be $7.50 right?

sound business practice first and foremost. That will be the best thing you can do for your music.

&, FWIW, pressing does not and will not cost $500 either. Making records is a function of amortizing the setup fees over the pressing run, so 200 units is not going to work for that much cheaper no matter where you go.

The Smith family are good people and an ideal source for smallish runs, do the math:
    http://billsmithcustomrecords.com/pricing.html

If you are talking distro, you need to figure in shipping. gas is NOT cheap.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The biggest pain when pressing in the US if you don't live in the US is the shipping. With Smith & United you have to organize the shipping etc totally independent of the plant since they won't ship the damn things to you or help you organize the shipping. Also, the amount of international paperwork involved at United is off putting. Obviously it's a bit easier if you know someone on the ground in the US who can take care of this aspect for you.
    I suggest getting in touch with Timmion & seeing what sort of quote they can do you for 200 45s mastered, cut, pressed & shipped to Australia.

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    Thanks for the info.. It's been real insightful..
    As I suspected, pressing in the US looks to be more financially viable. As I will be over there for a short period of time later this year, I hope to cut that shipping cost..
    Thanks again people..

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    don't even think about pressing at vinyl factory in sydney. expensive and not the best service

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Have a chat to my mate from Byron Bay he has been getting 7's pressed in germany I think Mighty Highness records and I am sure would let you know the score. PM me and I'll give you his email address