Topic Resurrection: Do we need a NRR Forum?

2»

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Why bother?

There's very little informed discussion of music/records left here.

If you want to talk about those things, go to waxidermy.

Does the one Faux Rillz wax Waxidermical? I would think the sheer poindexterity of the whole affair would be anathema to one whose rap cred is battle hardened bayonets.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Why bother?

Does the one Faux Rillz wax Waxidermical? I would think the sheer poindexterity of the whole affair would be anathema to one whose rap cred is battle hardened bayonets.

I enjoy that site--there's easily 10x as much knowledge being dropped there as here.

Even if I can't identify with dudes sobbing and flailing at their keyboards like Cecil Taylor over such inflammatory subjects as Folkways lullaby records.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Why bother?

I enjoy that site--there's easily 10x as much knowledge being dropped there as here.

Even if I can't identify with dudes sobbing and flailing at their keyboards like Cecil Taylor over such inflammatory subjects as Folkways lullaby records.

I can't argue with the knowledge dropping ratio. It's like there was a fork in the road long ago where the original Strutters had to decide whether they would temper their love of records with a healthy dose of non-record activity, or dive head-on into the obsession. I'll swing by from time to time, but I always find that the level of psychological discomfort I feel outweighs the knowledge I gain.

DB_Cooper said:
    faux_rillz said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Why bother?

I can't argue with the knowledge dropping ratio. It's like there was a fork in the road long ago where the original Strutters had to decide whether they would temper their love of records with a healthy dose of non-record activity, or dive head-on into the obsession. I'll swing by from time to time, but I always find that the level of psychological discomfort I feel outweighs the knowledge I gain.

I guess my feeling is that the real world provides me with a sufficient amount of NRR content.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Soulstrut is a little bit like the clubhouse at a country club. Yeah you always rap a little about golf, but you'd just as soon be talking about cognac, silk ties, sailing, or your last prostate exam.

DB_Cooper said:
    faux_rillz said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Why bother?

They do seem to mostly hate rap music--and, consequently, to view the one noz as a troll--so it definitely doesn't fulfull my need to talk about rap. But SoulStrut mostly hates rap too, the only difference being that dudes actually get offended when one points it out, so it's pretty much a wash.

• Options
    faux_rillz said:
    They do seem to mostly hate rap music--and, consequently, to view the one noz as a troll--so it definitely doesn't fulfull my need to talk about rap. But SoulStrut mostly hates rap too, the only difference being that dudes actually get offended when one points it out, so it's pretty much a wash.

Noz runs that place now, so you're either not dropping by there as often as you think or you're just missing the big picture.

It's now Nozidermy. They've got 3 Noz-Related threads running there now. He's not their troll, he's their wizard.

I voted no in this poll. I don't have any trouble recognizing the sports/drugs/politics threads as NRR and I can't see how anyone else who is fluent in English would, either.

If there were to be a strict segregation policy here, though, I'd guess that the NRR section would get more posts, though perhaps not more hits. Take a look at the current Crate Digging 1st page - over two thirds of the threads are NRR. People are already voting with their keyboards about what their interests are.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    not feeling it