Topic Resurrection: Do we need a NRR Forum?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
I used to be against splitting NRR threads into a separate forum but over the years, I think I've come around on the utility of having a separate forum for NRR topics, or at least, for the Strut's politics thread which tend to consume the most oxygen (and generate the most trolling/flaming).

Just putting this out there for consideration.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have no problem w/ the mix.

Some dudes at the end of the bar complaining about what the media feeds them is cool.
    Stay at the end of the bar.
    Im having a drink with some Knife experts.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    There are plenty of threads I have no interest in here and I simply don't click on them.

I think the political discussions here this week were very respectful, stimulating and entertaining.

Is there a site where people are as passionate about music/records/digging as they are the political discussion du jour?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I'm not sure what the benefit would be by splitting them up, leave it like it is.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    batmon said:

Im having a drink with some Knife experts.

• the Strut's politics threads [...] tend to consume the most oxygen (and generate the most trolling/flaming).

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    although i havent been here half as long as most of you, but an "OFFTOPIC" area would be cool, just to seperate the main focus of the site, when i joined i thought "crate digging revealed" was about records not politics and other offtopic stuff...

and it'll give peeps a place to rant and talk about whatever they feel like talking about rather then having over half this section about more then just "crate digging" most forums and other sites i visit have offtopic sections..

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm thinking of getting rid of the forum title "Crate Digging Revealed" and just calling it "Real Talk."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't see what the harm would be in 1) keeping the main forum on Strut music-related and 2) allowing the various political factions on Strut (which is like...90 lefties, 8 libetarians and 2 conservatives) to have their own end of the bar...just in a different room.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    I don't see what the harm would be in 1) keeping the main forum on Strut music-related and 2) allowing the various political factions on Strut (which is like...90 lefties, 8 libetarians and 2 conservatives) to have their own end of the bar...just in a different room.

RAJ said:
    I'm thinking of getting rid of the forum title "Crate Digging Revealed" and just calling it "Real Talk."

"digging stories are a yawnfest"

mannybolone said:

No harm....but what's the benefit??

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    That knife thread is a soulstrut highlight for me. Thank you Aser.

The Japan earthquake thread is the kind of thing I turn to soulstrut for.

I just want to thank Raj for all his work and creating community.

Dan

• Rockadelic said:
    mannybolone said:

the benefit is that the rancour, churlishness, and pedantry that is often engendered by these political threads (which typically involve the same 6-10 dudes shouting past one another) doesn't infect the main board and drive away folks who are primarily interested in talking about music.

it's no answer to say "just ignore them" when they impact the main board so negatively.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I like the mix and the convenience of it all being in one place.
    For better or worse, it is what makes this place great and totally frustrating.
    The music threads have their share of negative nancies same way.
    I like the mix.

• Horseleech said:
    I'm not sure what the benefit would be by splitting them up, leave it like it is.

This.
    It has always been thus...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I prefer having the options.

Everyone comes here case they like music, but im not in the mood to talk about music all the time.

If they were to be separated i wouldnt spend a lot of time scrolling through two sections of the Strut.

I think the Strut has a pretty good blend of regular topics mixed w/ deep/casual music shit.

When im over at some video games geek site where dudes talk about Getting 16 assists in NBA 2k11, i have NO desire to hear about their personal lives, knife skills, fat wives, brown sneakers, and San Francisco Food recommendations.

bassie said:
    I like the mix and the convenience of it all being in one place.
    For better or worse, it is what makes this place great and totally frustrating.
    The music threads have their share of negative nancies same way.
    I like the mix.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of over-compartmentalization in general.

And I would pretty much guarantee that it would reduce traffic to the site overall.

crabmongerfunk said:
    Rockadelic said:
    mannybolone said:

the benefit is that the rancour, churlishness, and pedantry that is often engendered by these political threads (which typically involve the same 6-10 dudes shouting past one another) doesn't infect the main board and drive away folks who are primarily interested in talking about music.

it's no answer to say "just ignore them" when they impact the main board so negatively.

Would you go there and read/participate if it were separate??

• Rockadelic said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Rockadelic said:
    mannybolone said:

Will we be rolling over the rancour, churlishness and pedantry?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    There's only that much you can say about records. I think the best record related threads occur when someone feels that there's not enough record talk and puts some thought into putting up an interesting record related thread. I like the mix. Makes the forum more appealing, interesting and less nerdy.

If it works, don't fix it.

• Rockadelic said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Rockadelic said:
    mannybolone said:

i would not- and that's for everyone's benefit, myself included.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Rockadelic said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Rockadelic said:
    mannybolone said:

i would not- and that's for everyone's benefit, myself included.

Didn't you used to post multiple clips of Foxnews people doing what they do every day?

• yes, i used to post that sort of stuff from time to time but its tired and boring and i see the error of my ways.

crabmongerfunk said:
    yes, i used to post that sort of stuff from time to time but its tired and boring and i see the error of my ways.

Dude....you posted in the Obama thread this week.....and I assumed you read it too.

Is this some sort of out of sight, out of mind self control issue??

• dude- i prefaced my comment with "i am wary of posting in a political thread but..." and then promptly deleted it. that train wreck of a thread and the others like it that have been polluting this page mostly come off as mental masturbation. thanks for personalizing all of this though. so back to the topic at hand....

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    How about we get a separate forum for you gentlemen to bicker at each other so I don't have to read it most of the time?

crabmongerfunk said:
    thanks for personalizing all of this though. ...

Personalized like "rancour, churlishness, and pedantry of the same 6-10 dudes"?

smh

Apologies to Elise.....I'll hang up my Yenta shoes for the day.

elise said:
    How about we get a separate forum for you gentlemen to bicker at each other so I don't have to read it most of the time?

Maybe we should have a 'room' for those who need to get a room.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Why bother?

There's very little informed discussion of music/records left here.

If you want to talk about those things, go to waxidermy.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I don't know if its technically possible, but a little switch in the corner of the screen that would automatically filter-out NRR threads would be sorta cool and useful.

Aside from that keep it all here in the "big tent".