Oliver's book: two years later

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    UGK is cool. I don't think they were on the national B>NORTH EAST/B>/worldwide radar 2 years ago, despite the fact that they've been making music for a long time.

i'll refrain from badmouthing oliver's book because i haven't read it. could someone post a list of albums covered?

Yeah, man, UGK has been known. And there was this song called "Big Pimpin'" that was real popular more than five years ago...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Oliver's on TV, he doesn't have time for this yesterday business

I don't know what I'm doing reading a hip-hip post in the first place, but what exactly is it O-dub does that gets him on Television? I'm not trying be a Mr. smartypants, just honestly curios.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    UGK is cool. I don't think they were on the national B>NORTH EAST/B>/worldwide radar 2 years ago, despite the fact that they've been making music for a long time.

i'll refrain from badmouthing oliver's book because i haven't read it. could someone post a list of albums covered?

Yeah, man, UGK has been known. And there was this song called "Big Pimpin'" that was real popular more than five years ago...

you know what's weird? when i read this post i thought about big pimpin but kinda just figured that's what haz was refering to with the "2 years ago". it feels like that record came out just yesterday, not half a decade. is that a 'classic' yet?

you know what's weird? when i read this post i thought about big pimpin but kinda just figured that's what haz was refering to with the "2 years ago". it feels like that record came out just yesterday, not half a decade. is that a 'classic' yet?

Without a doubt.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I'm surprised they didn't grab that market share sooner...They don't get enough credit.

Edit: Big Pimpin' was 6 years ago! My bad.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

I'm surprised they didn't grab that market share sooner...They don't get enough credit.

realistically, they still haven't grabbed that market share.

• I can't beleive that was already 2 years ago (!!!!!!)

Faux should write a book.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    PA Worldwide Bitches!

realistically, they still haven't grabbed that market share.

Yeah, they've only ever had one gold album and their last record--Dirty Money, which I thought was excellent--actually represented a step back for them saleswise.

Bun B has been killing the mixtapes and guest appearances for the past year and a half, and their profile amongst critic types is probably the highest it's ever been, but is that gonna translate into album sales? Hard to call--'Face was in a similar position to Bun B when he released The Fix, that of southern elder statesman finally getting serious love from the critics and the northeast, but that ended up being his first album that didn't go at least gold.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Bun B has been killing the mixtapes and guest appearances for the past year and a half, and their profile amongst critic types is probably the highest it's ever been, but is that gonna translate into album sales? Hard to call--'Face was in a similar position to Bun B when he released The Fix, that of southern elder statesman finally getting serious love from the critics and the northeast, but that ended up being his first album that didn't go at least gold.

the success of The Fix had alot to do with the Def Jam deal...and on that note, UGK are out of their deal with Jive (wtf?) soon, so it's bout their time.

the success of The Fix had alot to do with the Def Jam deal...and on that note, UGK are out of their deal with Jive (wtf?) soon, so it's bout their time.

What I'm saying is that The Fix was not a commercial success, though.

• jinx, funcrusher is light years better than anything anticon ever made, whether or not you like either camp is fine, but shit.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    jinx, funcrusher is light years better than anything anticon ever made, whether or not you like either camp is fine, but shit.

ITs all one and the same to me as well.

• Bun B has been killing the mixtapes and guest appearances for the past year and a half, and their profile amongst critic types is probably the highest it's ever been, but is that gonna translate into album sales? Hard to call--'Face was in a similar position to Bun B when he released The Fix, that of southern elder statesman finally getting serious love from the critics and the northeast, but that ended up being his first album that didn't go at least gold.

But it had hit songs; the sales of that album aren't indicative of its overall popularity - I think that's what Noixe meant. Album sales aren't the only criteria that define commercial success. The label torpedoed the LP and while I heard it all over the place people never stepped to the store and bought it. But the songs burned and kept people checking for 'Face, it's definitely not as if the album never came out.

• jinx, funcrusher is light years better than anything anticon ever made, whether or not you like either camp is fine, but shit.

i think this is the age gap talking

jinx, funcrusher is light years better than anything anticon ever made, whether or not you like either camp is fine, but shit.

Umm maybe i guess, or they suck altogether, which is the more likely answer.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Without a doubt.

on recent listen I realized jay's part has not aged well at all...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

most likely... and please notice that i didnt say anything like "anyone who listens to this is stupid..." etc... i just said "I" hate it and that sound... im glad people like it, otherwise dave and sole would always be broke... well, broker than they are.

so props to those that like em... keep buying their albums and singles and supporting, because i wont be...

• This is why people on soulstrut should never talk about hip-hop. Ever.

Stop using my words to prop up Company Flow & Can Ox. That was not their intent; in fact, quite the contrary.

This is why people on soulstrut should never talk about hip-hop. Ever.

But it had hit songs; the sales of that album aren't indicative of its overall popularity - I think that's what Noz meant. Album sales aren't the only criteria that define commercial success. The label torpedoed the LP and while I heard it all over the place people never stepped to the store and bought it. But the songs burned and kept people checking for 'Face, it's definitely not as if the album never came out.

No doubt, it was a great album and it got 'Face a lot of love in quarters where he wasn't previously getting it, but I would have liked to see him get a little something more for his pocket--and I hope Bun B gets a little money, too. You're right that the label completely fumbled that. Was there even another single after "My Block"/"Guess Who's Back"?

• from your humble fhillysubtle
    mjg? cannibal ox?

read first then comment

funcrusher IMHO is good, everything else after was not

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

Stop using my words to prop up Company Flow & Can Ox. That was not their intent; in fact, quite the contrary.

• I don't think there was, and the album was loaded with high-profile guests: Faith, Pharell, Kanye, WC, Deborah Cox (I think? maybe Kelly Price?), Nas, and of course Jay-Z. There were three more songs on there at least that could've done well.

This might be my favorite hip-hop album of the last five years.

Without a doubt.

on recent listen I realized jay's part has not aged well at all...

To be honest, I couldn't quote you a single line from Jay's verse on that record--Bun B pretty much owned it. Actually, didn't Jay add a second verse to the single version or something? Presumably so people would remember whose record it was.

OK, there you go

• ok FUNCRUSHER is good i hate little johnny from the hospital etc,

but co flow =/= can ox =/= el-p's body of work

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    [the fix] might be my favorite hip-hop album of the last five years.

I don't think there was, and the album was loaded with high-profile guests: Faith, Pharell, Kanye, WC, Deborah Cox (I think? maybe Kelly Price?), Nas, and of course Jay-Z. There were three more songs on there at least that could've done well.

This might be my favorite hip-hop album of the last five years.

Even one of the real laidback cuts where he goes into his old man/preacher routine might've worked.