Genres or Artists You Wish You Had More Knowledge Of

BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
From a selling stand point I've always sold braeks, funk, soul, psych, every type of rap/Hip-Hop and just recently started getting more knowledge on folk. But I've always noticed that certain classical titles can fetch some major cash. I've tried to get into it but it just seems to be way beyond me and to be honest I just don't get it. What are some genres you would like to be more knowledgeable of?

Also, when it comes to Beatles stuff it's just too many details to their releases for me to even begin to start hunting / selling their stuff. When it seems like I've found an original pressing of theirs, it's always some minor detail that winds up proving other wise.

Comments

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    definetly Kraut Rock. If I had more knowledge about it I think i could turn up some sick shit.
    Knowledge about sought after classical stuff would also be handy. Also early NDW stuff would be interesting (Die t??dliche Doris, Atlantik Schwimmer, things like that)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I read the Sun-Ra book but i wish i knew even more and own more.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Seventies country records, uk/irish folk revival and big band, not to flip them for money but just so I could get excited when I came across the umpteenth box full of them.

"Oh damn, this is the Dubliners album I've been fiending for, apparently it makes More Of the Hard Stuff sound like The Cheiftans!" etc etc

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    Kraut Rock.
    why?
    you're from deutchland, right?

id go for beatnick. hard to find these in the field over here
    but would come in handy this summer when i visit london.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    definetly Kraut Rock. If I had more knowledge about it I think i could turn up some sick shit.

Start with Julian Cope???s book on Krautrock, Krautrocksampler: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D8PZ4HTC

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Breez said:

Also, when it comes to Beatles stuff it's just too many details to their releases for me to even begin to start hunting / selling their stuff. When it seems like I've found an original pressing of theirs, it's always some minor detail that winds up proving other wise.

Every few years, my mother offers to keep an eye out for records for me as she goes to garage sales and whatnot. She lives in the boonies of Idaho so I never expect her to find much, so I keep it simple in telling her what to look for...if you ever see any James Brown records, please call me. And in 15 years of having this identical, recurring conversation, she has never once come across a James Brown record and called me. But in talking about it, she always brings up Elvis and the Beatles, and I have to explain to her that collecting their stuff is far too complicated.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Skiffle

I just just heard the term recently and was interested learning more.

What's some good skiffle to check for?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    fejmelba said:
    finelikewine said:
    Kraut Rock.
    why?
    you're from deutchland, right?

This doesn`t mean that knowledge about it or the records are easily obtainable. It is an obscure genre which wasn`t commercilly sucessful back in the day. I think it was back then more appreciated in the Uk than in Germany itself.

Thanks for the Ebook. Downloading it at the moment and looking forward to read it.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    My knowledge is fragmented among too many categories of things. I would like to be an expert on anything.

Just read the first page of that book. Love the subjective and radical style this is written in. The author has a kindred spirt to our very own Frank. I can enjoy blustering like this a lot. A great read!

• Dubstep and UK Funky

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    batmon said:

I haven't read the book, but I've been too intimidated by his catalogue to begin trying to figure out where to start with him. I recently got the "Space Is The Place" LP and really enjoy it, so I need to make some more baby steps. Suggestions?

• I honestly don't listen to classical that often but I have slowly started to educate myself on it. It is consistently the genre that I make the most digging mistakes on but also the most money from. I guess it evens out. It is a deep, deep hole but some day I hope to be able to know if that Angel or Seraphim title is just as good as the Living Stereo by another conductro.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    word @ Sun Ra.

but i think that the road of discovery is the most fun part of digging..and life in general..
    thats the pitfall of life.. you have the need to know everything and experience everything about that what you like.. and then when you know it all, you wish you were at the beginning part and you start reminiscing..

yeah..im weird like that.

Jamal said:
    word @ Sun Ra.

but i think that the road of discovery is the most fun part of digging..and life in general..
    thats the pitfall of life.. you have the need to know everything and experience everything about that what you like.. and then when you know it all, you wish you were at the beginning part and you start reminiscing..

yeah..im weird like that.

Helter Skelter, dude. Helter Skelter.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

Helter Skelter, dude. Helter Skelter.

que?

• asstro said:
    batmon said:

I haven't read the book, but I've been too intimidated by his catalogue to begin trying to figure out where to start with him. I recently got the "Space Is The Place" LP and really enjoy it, so I need to make some more baby steps. Suggestions?

Quasi-random:

Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy
    Strange Strings
    Lanquidity
    Sleeping Beauty
    The Futuristic Sounds Of Sun Ra

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    BAILE FUNK

I know there's some great sht out there, I've just never heard any of it!

• i wish i knew more about brazilian and south american/central american psych.
    one of my favorite records is Os Brazoes....fuzzy guitars, beats, breezy vocals, just so much flavor...need more of that in my life.

not sure how id find out more other than through the interwebs (any site suggestions?)
    but my favorite way is to find in the field or listen in person. not too much of that poppin up in philly

tripledouble said:
    i wish i knew more about brazilian and south american/central american psych.

You up on the Love, Peace, and Poetry comp series? Here's a blog that talks a bit about them: http://chocoreve.blogspot.com/2006/01/love-peace-and-poetry-vol-1-2-3-4-5-6.html

Volumes 2, 6, 7, and 10 are Latin American, Brazilian, Mexican, and Chilean psych respectively. I mean, comps are comps, but they're a good place to start to branch out from. Your boys Os Brazoes have a track on the Brazilian edition.

• DB_Cooper said:
    tripledouble said:

You up on the Love, Peace, and Poetry comp series? Here's a blog that talks a bit about them: http://chocoreve.blogspot.com/2006/01/love-peace-and-poetry-vol-1-2-3-4-5-6.html

Volumes 2, 6, 7, and 10 are Latin American, Brazilian, Mexican, and Chilean psych respectively. I mean, comps are comps, but they're a good place to start to branch out from. Your boys Os Brazoes have a track on the Brazilian edition.

with the cute retro blonde chick on the covers? good call
    ive checked some of those and like a lot, without a doubt.
    i think i heard latin american and the asian one, maybe another

• tripledouble said:
    one of my favorite records is Os Brazoes....fuzzy guitars, beats, breezy vocals, just so much flavor...need more of that in my life.

not sure how id find out more other than through the interwebs (any site suggestions?)
    but my favorite way is to find in the field or listen in person. not too much of that poppin up in philly

Os Brazoes is a special record. Loronix is a good site fro Brazilian psych, though apparently the man behind it has passed.

Also check:

Paebiru
    Marconi Notaro
    Free Son
    Los 007
    Erasmo Carlos - 'Carlos Erasmo'
    Los Nuevos Shains
    O Bando
    Som Imaginario - 1st

For a start. I didn't include groups like Modulo 1000 or Aguaturbia because, as awesome as they are, there is nothing particularly 'South American' about them. One reason I love Os Brazoes is that they are truly Brazilian.

• yeah it blows me away everytime i listen to it.

im up on erasmo carlo....i like very much.
    i remember someone mntioing lorinix. will check

• yeah it blows me away everytime i listen to it.

im up on erasmo carlo....i like very much.
    i remember someone mntioing lorinix. will check

• French music.

It would help to speak French fluently, and I'm working on learning the language, but I love French music. Of course, I really like Serge Gainsbourg and Fran??oise Hardy's music, but would love to learn about all the various y??-y?? girls, freakbeat, soundtrack stuff. There's a lot of ill shit.

barjesus said:
    French music.

It would help to speak French fluently, and I'm working on learning the language, but I love French music. Of course, I really like Serge Gainsbourg and Fran??oise Hardy's music, but would love to learn about all the various y??-y?? girls, freakbeat, soundtrack stuff. There's a lot of ill shit.

Are you the dude learning French by transcribing Gainsbourg songs? Awesome idea.

• Horseleech said:
    tripledouble said:

Os Brazoes is a special record. Loronix is a good site fro Brazilian psych, though apparently the man behind it has passed.

Also check:

Paebiru
    Marconi Notaro
    Free Son
    Los 007
    Erasmo Carlos - 'Carlos Erasmo'
    Los Nuevos Shains
    O Bando
    Som Imaginario - 1st

For a start. I didn't include groups like Modulo 1000 or Aguaturbia because, as awesome as they are, there is nothing particularly 'South American' about them. One reason I love Os Brazoes is that they are truly Brazilian.

Horse , how did Zecalouro die? Loronix was such a good blog! i thought he just stopped doing it.

• DB_Cooper said:
    barjesus said:
    French music.

Are you the dude learning French by transcribing Gainsbourg songs? Awesome idea.

Yeah, that's me. Thanks!

I just started it back again after a 6 month hiatus, and found a real good collaborator (and native speaker) that's been improving my rough translations. Incidently, I started a Fran??oise Hardy one as well.

If anyone is interested:
    Gainsbourg: http://frenchonesongatatime.blogspot.com/

Hardy: http://frenchonesongatatimehardy.blogspot.com/

• bigchalz said:
    Horse , how did Zecalouro die? Loronix was such a good blog! i thought he just stopped doing it.

I don't know, but Moogman mentioned this in another thread:

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/68756/

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    barjesus said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    barjesus said:
    French music.

Yeah, that's me. Thanks!

I just started it back again after a 6 month hiatus, and found a real good collaborator (and native speaker) that's been improving my rough translations. Incidently, I started a Fran??oise Hardy one as well.

If anyone is interested:
    Gainsbourg: http://frenchonesongatatime.blogspot.com/

Hardy: http://frenchonesongatatimehardy.blogspot.com/

may i suggest brel and then brassens once you run out of the aformetionned artists discography
    lyrically amazing