god fucking fuck

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
what sadist decided anyone but a math major would need to take calculuswhat the fucksorry for the guzzoesque postcarry onfuckfuckFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK!!!!ok now I'm done.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

scientifical mathematical madness

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    sorry for the guzzoesque post

If I was homophobic I'd be really angry right now

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Let me guess. You're a Sound Recording Major?

• darendaren 28 Posts
    Hehe...I was totally down with Calc until I took my 3rd test (cumulative test). Luckily I ended up with a B-.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Let me guess. You're a Sound Recording Major?

Ha, no. Fortunately for them I don't think they typically have too stringent of math requirements.

Business. It's obnoxious, nobody in there except maybe IT majors would even use that shit, and I'm not going to remember that, but so goes about 90% of college courses.

sorry for the guzzoesque post

If I was homophobic I'd be really angry right now

Well I'm glad you're not, because I've got the Mrs. Butterworths and you look hungry.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    "Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater."

Albert Einstein

One a side note:

calculus backwards is suluclac... You would be surprised by the amount of brainy people that use that password. IE: A certain high school teacher...

• what sadist decided anyone but a math major would need to take calculus

what the fuck

"Well, here it is: that time they told us about in high school when math would save our lives."

• god fucking fuck

what the fuck

carry on

fuck

fuck

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK!!!!

Never too late to switch that major over to English. Looks like you've got the gift.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    Hey, it only took me three tries to pass Calculus! First time I took it was an AP class in high school...failed. Next time I took it was my freshman year in college...failed. Of course, the class I took in college the first time was the advanced Calc class, basically meant for engineers, and the class was taught at 8am by some boring-ass 70 year old man who never explained anything. Anyhoo... Third time I took it I finally got smart and thought, "You know, I'm not going to be an engineer, why am I taking the advanced Calc class?" So, I took the Calc class for normal people (that is, the lower-level Calc class) during summer school and got an A in that shit.

The irony of Calculus anymore is that even people who generally are the ones who really need it don't end up using it all that much. Almost everything is computer-oriented now so all the calculations and all that is done with computers. I guess it's important for engineers and whoever to know the principles of Calculus and to understand the underlying math going on, but the odds of actually having to manually figure out the area of an irregular shape or something are so small I don't think Calc matters a lick to most people, especially those of us not in a math-related field.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I think Calculus could be useful to those interested in sound and music. Or at least some higher level algebra and non-euclidean geometry. Also number theory is very helpful. Not that you can directly apply any of this shit to music, but the way math is strucutred is very similar to the way sound and music are. And when it comes down to it, we are all working with models and so a mathematical understanding of how models work will only help in the long run, I think.

but I'm still a shitty beatmaker.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    The irony of Calculus anymore is that even people who generally are the ones who really need it don't end up using it all that much. Almost everything is computer-oriented now so all the calculations and all that is done with computers. I guess it's important for engineers and whoever to know the principles of Calculus and to understand the underlying math going on, but the odds of actually having to manually figure out the area of an irregular shape or something are so small I don't think Calc matters a lick to most people, especially those of us not in a math-related field.

Cue angelic choir:

I am a biophysisist who uses calculus (mostly partial diff eq's) pretty regularly, but this little bit a software saves me a shitload of work. You need to know what the underlying principles at work or else you're screwed, but on the other hand there's a lot of grinding algebra which you're likely to screw up without a computer.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

Cue angelic choir:

I rock this:

and I like it a lot. Mostly I do computer simulations, but I occasionally have to bust out some math to let me know where to start.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    I think Calculus could be useful to those interested in sound and music. Or at least some higher level algebra and non-euclidean geometry.

i love to get non-euclidean when im lacin my drums.

god fucking fuck

what the fuck

carry on

fuck

fuck

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK!!!!

Never too late to switch that major over to English. Looks like you've got the gift.

I appreciate good sarcasm. Thank you.

"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater."

Albert Einstein

Well then Al can pay for me to take it again when I fail.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Yo Grafwritah...

I'm studying for an electrical engineering degree and possibly going for a computational mathematics degree. If you ever need help in math you can hit me up with a PM and we can exchange instant messenger screen names or something. I don't mind explaining stuff.

• ... And when it comes down to it, we are all working with models and so a mathematical understanding of how models work will only help in the long run, I think.

headz ain't ready!

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Is Calculus the same as Statistics? Does it use the Minitab programme? I had to do that bullshit for 'Environmental Techniques 1 and 2' and it nigh on killed me. My old flatmate did the same courses a year before and I copied her word for word, that was the only reason I got through, but it still caused me huge amounts of grief. I didn't get rumbled for plagiarism either although I'm not happy with myself for having to do it. My brain was simply not capable, I just could not do that shit!

Yo Grafwritah...

I'm studying for an electrical engineering degree and possibly going for a computational mathematics degree. If you ever need help in math you can hit me up with a PM and we can exchange instant messenger screen names or something. I don't mind explaining stuff.

Hey, I appreciate it. I'll keep it in mind, I still may be able to salvage the class... still got a couple tests left. Any help is appreciated.

Is Calculus the same as Statistics? Does it use the Minitab programme? I had to do that bullshit for 'Environmental Techniques 1 and 2' and it nigh on killed me. My old flatmate did the same courses a year before and I copied her word for word, that was the only reason I got through, but it still caused me huge amounts of grief. I didn't get rumbled for plagiarism either although I'm not happy with myself for having to do it. My brain was simply not capable, I just could not do that shit!

Nah, Stats is a beeeeeeatch too. I don't know how to explain it other than Calc is like the next level past Algebra, i.e. more difficult, where stats is mostly Algebra (the math used), just with a bunch of annoying fucking rules that are flipped back and forth to confuse you.

Thanks for reminding me of all that stats BS... dammit p-bar.

• darendaren 28 Posts
    Stat is just confusing. Calc I isn't too bad after the second try. What's annoying is doing all this by hand.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Stats is the science of taking data and trying to make conclusions based on the data by putting the data into various formulae. consists mostly of definitions of things like averages, correlation, standard deviations, etc. this and probablity are key if you want to gamble at all without having your head up your ass. there are pretty easy ways to count cards in blackjack (with two or three decks) so that if you follow the strategy you flip the odds against the house.

calculus is the mathematics of finding areas and slopes using the concept of infinitesimals and limits. it's a shame that most schools teach it in a fucked up way that makes it look like memorization of derivatives and shit like that. if it's taught right then it can be nice. if you want to figure out which long term investments (other than records) are the best by yourself, calculus is helpful.

it's a fucking shame how math is generally taught cause it can be the absolute shit if explained in the right way. of course the right way is different for different people.

i do math for a living by the way. i've been trying to resist dorking out on this thread but i finally had to.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    don't test bluesnag's gangsta