NAGL

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Grooveman Spot probably just nailed the coffin in his grave with this artwork??? This CD just dropped in Japan. DEFINITELY NOT A GOOD LOOK. Not photoshopped, but we brown faced himself for the shoot!

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Yikes

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    at a loss for words

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    it's ok. there's no black people in asia.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    empanadamn said:

When I lived in Hong Kong in the mid/late 70's this was a popular brand of toothpaste:

i know! i saw some when i was in HK. my friend's family had it in their bathroom, except now it's called darlie and got a gweilo face on it.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    empanadamn said:

When I lived in Hong Kong in the mid/late 70's this was a popular brand of toothpaste:

Thaaaaaaattt's borderline racist right there.

• When I was in Tokyo I saw a T-Shirt at a Hip-Hop Record Store and all it said was "N*GG*R" in an Olde English typeface.
    Only in Japan would that fly.

• why would people in hong kong want to darken their teeth though?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    SMH. Heavily.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Maybe he just finished sweeping a chimney.

that's an ill bed!

• i was like why is his bed ..OH COME ON NOW

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    empanadamn said:

This was still being sold in Tokyo when I lived there in the early 90s.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Wow i would have thought someone like grooveman spot would have known better.
    Considering that he works with a bunch of US rappers. What was he thinking ?

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    Wow i would have thought someone like grooveman spot would have known better.
    Considering that he works with a bunch of US rappers. What was he thinking ?

I would have thought too. Well, how's the mix? LOL

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Hey, look at the bright side. Asians and South Asians have been bleaching their skin for years. Maybe the racist brownface is in defiance of traditional beauty standards.

Fair and Lovely ad for the "ayurvedic" formula. Girl gets rejected by a "modern" modeling agency, but F&A saves the day.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ok, that was incredibly fucked up.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    What happened to that Japanese shop with the Burger King logo bite using the n-whopper? That was, admittedly, pretty funny, even though my white liberal guilt is supposed to tell me otherwise.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    djsheep said:
    Grooveman Spot probably just nailed the coffin in his grave with this artwork??? This CD just dropped in Japan. DEFINITELY NOT A GOOD LOOK. Not photoshopped, but we brown faced himself for the shoot!

ass clowns

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The real WTF look of that cover is WHERE did they get matching leather jackets and a hat from Play's "IV Play" clothing line?????????????? WOW.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:

Mind. Blown.

• Options
    day said:
    TheKindCromang said:

Mind. Blown.

That seems more like an anti-racist deal to me.

• BobDesperado said:
    day said:
    TheKindCromang said:

Mind. Blown.

^^^^
    SMH x 100000000
    Probably the most disturbing subversively racist commercial I have ever seen. Made me sick. King kong. Nice one.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Electrode said:
    What happened to that Japanese shop with the Burger King logo bite using the n-whopper? That was, admittedly, pretty funny, even though my white liberal guilt is supposed to tell me otherwise.

oh you mean that shop in Taiwan, it was around when I lived there;

they fixed it up because people threatened them, peep what they did to make it more "P.C."

click this link; http://static.zooomr.com/images/3079185_0864d8d4c5.jpg?r=360

• Soooo..... some friends pointed out some other video clips off YouTube, and apparently Black Face is a pretty common tradition in Japan

• TheKindCromang said:

amazing(ly fucked up) commercial.

• Options
    4YearGraduate said:
    BobDesperado said:
    day said:
    TheKindCromang said:

Mind. Blown.

^^^^
    SMH x 100000000
    Probably the most disturbing subversively racist commercial I have ever seen. Made me sick. King kong. Nice one.

I agree about the imagery, but whoever made it was trying - at least on the surface - to make an anti-racism statement. Which makes it even weirder to watch.