weekend finds (early edition)

2»

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Mike Mainieri "Journey Through an Electric Tube": I'm liking this a lot!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    Some late week finds...

nice find on the lloyd mcneill, great stuff and raer too.

and hows the Griffin LP? i always pick up abc stuff like that but have never been able to find that one.

• karlophone said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Some late week finds...

nice find on the lloyd mcneill, great stuff and raer too.

and hows the Griffin LP? i always pick up abc stuff like that but have never been able to find that one.

The Griffin LP is a really solid Psych Pop album from '68 out of California. Has a good thematic thread throughout it, sometimes borders on the good quirkiness the Beatles put out and then sometimes has a touch of the Doors organy chord progressions. I dug the whole listen, honestly. Always kept my interest without losing the unity of the album. I'd recommend it. This was the Mono Promo of the ABC release in really pristine shape. Glad I snatched it up!

• Options
    No offense but if I never see that Hobbits LP in a finds thread again I'll be relieved.

• I found it. It was the weekend. There ya go. No offense taken.

• did you not look at the pictures of him!?!

harvi is the embodiment of lol

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I spent the first month of the year in Ghana.
    The place has seriously dried up. A large DJ collection saved the trip within the last few days just when I was about to get really, really nervous...

Found a stack of killer 45s as well... at one point we were staying at this hotel and the owner kept saying she had a load of records in a back room but the key was lost. After a few days and an hour before we had to get on our bus back to Accra and the key still wasn't found. This was when I asked if I could hire a carpenter and a locksmith to break down the door if I would pay for having everything fixed up afterwards. The owner was fine with the idea and said at least she'd get a new lock out of it and could again use the room. Thank god there reallly were some records behind that door. Found some killer stuff and managed to get through everything within 45 minutes of high speed digging.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Frank professionals, lol!
    b/w Your finds are totally off the scale, as they usually are i should say. Congrats!!

breadwinner said:
    did you not look at the pictures of him!?!

harvi is the embodiment of lol

hahaha no doubt... i guess i sorta have come to gloss over effed up looking people on records. half the time the more effed up they look, the more interesting the record sounds...yes Harvi is a freak.

Damn Frank, way to pull the fat out of the fire! Any theories as to why its gotten dry? too many diggers creeping into the scene?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    karlophone said:

Damn Frank, way to pull the fat out of the fire! Any theories as to why its gotten dry? too many diggers creeping into the scene?

Well, it's been clear from the beginning that these records are a finite resource.
    There has been a good half a dozen of people going to Ghana regularly for the past few years. There's even some californian crustafarian (I guess that's the appropriate term for a trustafarian without a trust fund) out there who blogs about his African digging adventures: http://digging4gold.tumblr.com (great concept!).

There have been "records wanted" adverts in the national papers with at least 3 other different numbers fo the past year alone. I gave up on this technique a while back. Years ago, a quarter page ad would result in several hundred calls for the first day, about one to two hundred the next day and about 50 day or so for the next week or two. The last series of adverts I had which included a full color 1/8 page advert on the front page of Ghana's largest paper and several quarter page adverts in other publications didn't yield more than about 100 calls in total with the usual 90% being total busts.

This time I had air-cargoed 100.000 leaflets over there which we staple-gunned all over every single major city of the entire country... one last big scrape all over the bottom of the barrel.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    wow.. as always, those african records/ covers looks amazing!!

Frank said:
    karlophone said:

Well, it's been clear from the beginning that these records are a finite resource.
    There has been a good half a dozen of people going to Ghana regularly for the past few years. There's even some californian crustafarian (I guess that's the appropriate term for a trustafarian without a trust fund) out there who blogs about his African digging adventures: http://digging4gold.tumblr.com (great concept!).

There have been "records wanted" adverts in the national papers with at least 3 other different numbers fo the past year alone. I gave up on this technique a while back. Years ago, a quarter page ad would result in several hundred calls for the first day, about one to two hundred the next day and about 50 day or so for the next week or two. The last series of adverts I had which included a full color 1/8 page advert on the front page of Ghana's largest paper and several quarter page adverts in other publications didn't yield more than about 100 calls in total with the usual 90% being total busts.

This time I had air-cargoed 100.000 leaflets over there which we staple-gunned all over every single major city of the entire country... one last big scrape all over the bottom of the barrel.

wow. i guess its been a great run, but it does feel like it went from zero to 100 and now back to almost zero in just a few years. Im glad you were the pioneer there, if not one of them anyway.

and that collection looks particularly clean and sharp on average, i suppose being a dj collection they weren't as abused as the average stuff over there.

well, if anyone will sort out how to find more, i know you will.

whats your take on the other African countries? i know you used to do runs into neighboring areas. Are there parts of Africa that have potential you want to get to still? (if thats a trade secret just ignore the question)

• a few nice bits for this month ;)
    Attached files

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    man frank that is interesting/sobering to hear
    glad you got one sick haul
    i am going to senegal in the spring but i gave up on even thinking something is left since 2001