Blockhead

bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
All 3 tracks produced by Blockhead on the new Cage album are winners.I mean the beats on ???Scenester??? and ???Strips??? are insane!Who is this guy? Has he had much out?

Comments

• i think he did a lot of aesop rock's stuff.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    he has an instrumental album on ninja tune and has done alot of production for aesop rock.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    If you like the DefJux stuff you surely would have heard his work with Aesop Rock,and he also has a solo album called " Music by Cavelight "

• Cheers chaps.

Might have to try and revisit those Aesop records again (hard work for the most part).

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Cheers chaps.

Might have to try and revisit those Aesop records again (hard work for the most part).

I actually just dug up "float" again. it's still too long.

• i like aesop's daylight. pretty sure blockhead did that one. cant remember what the album name is though. i only go the single.

• i like aesop's daylight. pretty sure blockhead did that one. cant remember what the album name is though. i only go the single.

Man that???s the best track I???ve heard from Aesop.
    Its actually the first record I heard from him and thought ???I gotta check this guy out??? but was disappointed by what I heard. He has a song ???No Regrets??? that I like off the same album.

Didn???t realise it was Blockhead produced (Confession: I???ve only got it on MP3 ) but damn he did a good job that beat is sick.

Man that???s the best track I???ve heard from Aesop.
    Its actually the first record I heard from him and thought ???I gotta check this guy out??? but was disappointed by what I heard. He has a song ???No Regrets??? that I like off the same album.

Didn???t realise it was Blockhead produced (Confession: I???ve only got it on MP3 ) but damn he did a good job that beat is sick.

yup. that's his best song. actually, there's another track on that float album i really like, but it's not produced by blockhead. i think its produced by someone called omega21 or something space-age like that. cant remember the name of the track but it's kinda got a reggae vibe to it.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    i like aesop's daylight. pretty sure blockhead did that one. cant remember what the album name is though. i only go the single.

"Labor Days"? Some nice beats from Blockhead on that one if you can look past Aesop Rock's monotone nerdflow. Blockhead's instrumental steez, however, is one big snoozefest.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

yup. that's his best song. actually, there's another track on that float album i really like, but it's not produced by blockhead. i think its produced by someone called omega21 or something space-age like that. cant remember the name of the track but it's kinda got a reggae vibe to it.

the reggae-ish joint on float is called "skip town."

omega one's done alot of Aes Rock's better shit...like "coma" from labor days.

for no apparent reason, this is a track blockhead did with this dude despot. I like it alot. I think it's on some def jux comp. enjoy.

despot - life with snarky parker

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    despot is dope... thats fam. i believe block is doin most of the tracks for his album
    and blockhead did a ridiculous remix for hangar 18's beatslope track
    yall should check that out

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Blockhead's instrumental steez, however, is one big snoozefest.

It's not that bad... I mean, how exciting can downtempo instrumental hip hop get??

It's got a few really nice tracks on it. Can't think off the top of my head right now. Should pull that lp out. I picked it up at a Ninja Tune tour show last year. Didn't even know he was going to be there, was impressed with his "set" (dude was OBVIOUSLY just learnig to dj... lol...) and ended up grabbing the album.

There's also a nice Aesop Track with Vast Aire on the Daylight single called Nickel Plated Pockets. The remix of Daylight, called Nightlight, is a pretty dope idea too - takes most of the uplifting, positive images in Daylight and flips them into negatives. ALways thought it was an original idea for a remix/alternate version.

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    i think dude makes some pretty dope tracks , music by cavelight could've been better but i think it was still better than alot of other instrumental stuff. the production he does on aesops float cd is pretty nice too. i like the kind of samples he uses also, not the kind of instruments you hear alot in hip hop.
    i think he produced jet son off the new aesop rock too, had to get the instrumental-
    couldn't handle the aesop flow anymore

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

is worse than:

• There's an instrumental LP of his called "broke beats". It was released I don't know, 2 years ago. Probably not available thru distributors but check GEMM.