The Identity of Banksy - eBay craziness

2»

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    I really liked Exit Through The Giftshop as a piece of art itself - kinda smirking back at the media in an 'anyone can qualify as a credible artist if you can get the hype wagon rolling' type-way.

I like quite a lot of Banksy's pieces cause of the lateral thought approach to them too:

That said, some of the mouse type stuff is crap.

That last one is about fifteen minutes' walk from my place, round the corner from Bethnal Green Working Men's Club. It's since been tagged and defaced extensively, though. I took this picture of it last April. I love how Tower Hamlets council have, in a completely unintentional way, managed to do more damage to the piece than the taggers by removing the fake double-yellows from the road and pavement, thus kicking the legs from underneath the joke.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    I really liked Exit Through The Giftshop as a piece of art itself - kinda smirking back at the media in an 'anyone can qualify as a credible artist if you can get the hype wagon rolling' type-way.

I like quite a lot of Banksy's pieces cause of the lateral thought approach to them too:

That said, some of the mouse type stuff is crap.

That last one is about fifteen minutes' walk from my place, round the corner from Bethnal Green Working Men's Club. It's since been tagged and defaced extensively, though. I took this picture of it last April. I love how Tower Hamlets council have, in a completely unintentional way, managed to do more damage to the piece than the taggers by removing the fake double-yellows from the road and pavement, thus kicking the legs from underneath the joke.

No way, a Bristol Strutter!

I saw the Banksy window piece just off Park Street got hit too, which was always one of my faves.

I also really like the one on The Thelka:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Nah, I live in London. That second one you posted is on the corner of a street in Bethnal Green.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I always thought you were American for some reason.

I also always thought that flower one was somewhere just outside Bristol.

I stand corrected on both.

• some of my favorite banksy stuff...

b/w

utters, you definitely missed the point of the film. brainwash is real, it was the hype built around him that is fake (BW still produces art). imo, it is a banksy comment on the state of pop art (or commericalized art in general) and it's relationship to street art/graffiti (this final act is really just a real life example of things he was saying throughout the film). the scariest reality about that part of the film is the patrons in the line to get into the BW show, super scary. the "doc" is really great, the footage at disney land is incredible.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    jaymack said:
    dj_cityboy said:
    i dont think banksy is untalented, i just think he doesnt belongs in the catagory of Graffiti Artist, but because people cant think of another name for applying media on a wall he gets thrown in with every other graf head, most graf writers i know cant related to someone painting shit with stensils and selling canvases for mad amounts of cash and until hes able to roll through freight yards or subways yards @ 4am most writers arent going to be able to relate.

oh please. its 2011.

pffffft oh please lets not act as though this isnt true, unless the writers i roll with are some strange east coast canadian anomaly who look down on people like Banksy, and there is very little correlation between what he does and how he paints to the ways with which graffiti writers paint.

• cookbook said:
    the footage at disney land is incredible.

Seriously. Shutting down a ride while people are on it is some shit that Disney would not want to do. The impact of that prank is pretty impressive.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Isn't purposefully "keeping it real" by design the opposite of actually "keeping it real"??

b/w

Gimme the dude that does the 3-d sidewalk chalk art over Banksy.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Isn't purposefully "keeping it real" by design the opposite of actually "keeping it real"??

b/w

LOL edgy!

None of them can compare to the guy who does the airbrush planets with dolphins jumping over them,

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

That seems fitting.

DOR said:
    Rockadelic said:

That seems fitting.

Imagine if everything we didn't like was washed away each time it rained....what a wonderful world this would be.

b/w

I own a not quite so original Kostabi piece and a degree in Graphic Arts.

The thing I hate the most about advertising is that it attracts all the bright, creative, and ambitious young people, leaving us mainly with the slow and self-obsessed to become our artists. Modern art is a disaster area. Never in the field of human history has so much been used by so many to say so little.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    The thing I hate the most about advertising is that it attracts all the bright, creative, and ambitious young people, leaving us mainly with the slow and self-obsessed to become our artists. Modern art is a disaster area. Never in the field of human history has so much been used by so many to say so little.

maybe i shoulda read this before i posted my thread

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Imagine if everything we didn't like was washed away each time it rained....what a wonderful world this would be.

oddly enough my first experience of doing graffiti back in 92 was using sidewalk chalk on walls as more of a means to "get away" with doing graffiti without using paint as a media of choice, worked out pretty well and we were able to get away with quite a bit due to "it being washed away in the rain" but if you actually smear sideway chalk into the wood/concrete/brick it stays a lot longer then one would suspect.

sidewalk chalk guys takes it to the next level, there is a guy here in my city that does sidewalk chalk/pastel art all over the place, does some pretty amazing stuff, he applies clearcoats to most of his stuff which makes it a lot more durable and lasts for years..

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

Imagine if everything we didn't like was washed away each time it rained....what a wonderful world this would be..

Is this because anything permanent should be against the law?

My masterpieces include writing my name in the snow while I pee.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    caking off of a gimmick

how revolutionary

Imagine if everything we didn't like was washed away each time it rained....what a wonderful world this would be..

Is this because anything permanent should be against the law?

My masterpieces include writing my name in the snow while I pee.

Not sure why you bring up the law?

b/w

Were your masterpieces in your handwriting??