The Identity of Banksy - eBay craziness

Sweet_PremiumSweet_Premium 368 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central

Comments

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    This looks like somebody trying to do "web intervention art". Wouldn't be surprised if it's Banksy himself putting up this auction.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    PR stunt

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    The auction has been removed already.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Wait, this is still that tight a secret? I was having dinner with a friend the other night who was telling me that he knew Banksy back when he was a booking agent - before he was "Banksy" and still had a gov't name.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

Robin Gunningham

$999,999.00 plaese

• tangible

novocaine132 said:
    tangible

Ask any graf artist in Bristol. There are other Banksy artists now, but that's the OG.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    sort of reminds me of the "DJ Shadow - Actual Human Being For Sale" auction from 2002 or so which, at the time, was sort of funny, what with all the "...DJ SHADOW BREAKS SAMPLES" hoopla going on. ;-)

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    he earns the title of "one of the most overrated artist of the decade" for a reason, when he doesnt have multiple publicists and have camera crews following him around like Hollywood maybe even graffiti writers would care about Robin Gunningham...although even thats not likely..lol

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Banksy = the new Dread Pirate Roberts.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    I saw the banksy documentary thing the other day 'Exit Through The Gift Shop'

Mr Brainwash = TOOL

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Soulstrut is so full of aching vagina today it's incredible.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    woah! what does that mean

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    No personal shots, man. It's just more of an observation on the inevitable knee-jerk hate this guy seems to bring out in people, that's all. Carry on as you were...

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    well, to anyone who hates banksy, watch the doc and I guarantee you'll hate mr brainwash even more...

• utters said:
    well, to anyone who hates banksy, watch the doc and I guarantee you'll hate mr brainwash even more...

you hit the nail on the head when you called him a "tool", but not in the way you mean. I think you may have missed the point

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    I know I get it, the film has obviously been edited to make banksy be 'the hero'

but mr brainwash is an absolute douche, for no other reason than his 'art' is a complete joke and he somehow believes that he's some sort of legend

I really liked Exit Through The Giftshop as a piece of art itself - kinda smirking back at the media in an 'anyone can qualify as a credible artist if you can get the hype wagon rolling' type-way.

I like quite a lot of Banksy's pieces cause of the lateral thought approach to them too:

That said, some of the mouse type stuff is crap.

• utters said:
    I know I get it, the film has obviously been edited to make banksy be 'the hero'

but mr brainwash is an absolute douche, for no other reason than his 'art' is a complete joke and he somehow believes that he's some sort of legend

Banksy is Mr Brainwash.

Mr Brainwash is Banksy.

utters said:

I think you may have missed the point

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Matt Adore said:
    utters said:

Banksy is Mr Brainwash.

Mr Brainwash is Banksy.

Popular theory but incorrect.

What's funny - and further complicates (and proves?) the point - is that Mr. Brainwash ended up getting "art" gigs based off that one (faux?) show the documentary focused on.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Mr. Brainwash is very real. It's more everyone catching the vapors, cause he's cool by association. When in reality his work is shit and he's the talentless hack that Banksy is all too often accused of being.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    i dont think banksy is untalented, i just think he doesnt belongs in the catagory of Graffiti Artist, but because people cant think of another name for applying media on a wall he gets thrown in with every other graf head, most graf writers i know cant related to someone painting shit with stensils and selling canvases for mad amounts of cash and until hes able to roll through freight yards or subways yards @ 4am most writers arent going to be able to relate.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Matt Adore said:
    utters said:

Banksy is Mr Brainwash.

Mr Brainwash is Banksy.

Popular theory but incorrect.

From the interview I posted above:

B: "Obviously the story is bizarre, that???s why I made a film about it, but I???m still shocked by the level of skepticism. I guess I have to accept that people think I???m full of shit. But I???m not clever enough to have invented Mr. Brainwash, even the most casual on-line research confirms that.

Ordinarily I wouldn???t mind if people believe me or not, but the film???s power comes from the fact it???s all 100% true. This is from the frontline, this is watching an art form self-combust in front of you. Told by the people involved. In real time. This is a very real film about what it means to ???keep it real???.

Besides, if the movie was a carefully scripted prank you can be sure I would???ve given myself some better lines. I would???ve meticulously planned my spontaneous off-the-cuff remarks. I love that famous Jack Benny come-back to a heckler - ???You wouldn???t say that if my writers were here.??? But I???ve always wondered - did his writers tell him to say that?"

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    i dont think banksy is untalented, i just think he doesnt belongs in the catagory of Graffiti Artist, but because people cant think of another name for applying media on a wall he gets thrown in with every other graf head, most graf writers i know cant related to someone painting shit with stensils and selling canvases for mad amounts of cash and until hes able to roll through freight yards or subways yards @ 4am most writers arent going to be able to relate.

oh please. its 2011.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I am still waiting to see the movie.
    The bansky stuff I have seen:
    http://www.google.com/images?q=bansky&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1262&bih=825
    Is fantastic. He not only thinks about the image, but also about where the image is going to live.

There are some images here in town that are rumored to be Bansky's. I like them.

I just went by a bunch of freights with the Canadian Wheat Board logo and was disappointed that none of the grafwriters acknowledged the existence of the logo.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    jaymack said:
    dj_cityboy said:

oh please. its 2011.