Bon Iver

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
I knew dude (Bon Iver isn't a dude I know) was on all those Kanye records. But I just heard Blood Bank today for the first time. This shit right here, man... Man. Fucking dude.

So I just copped all their shit right now. Gonna digest it. I know I'm late but fuck it.

Anyway, anyone ride?

Comments

• my girl introduced me to them a couple months ago. :feelin_it:

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I admit I hadn't heard of them before Kanye, but yeah, Blood Bank and For Emma are both pretty solid albums.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    for emma, forever ago was one of my top albums in 2008.

• Can we get a taste? I am as yet unfamiliar with their music.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I guess it's like rocky neo-indie-folk? I dunno dude. I have a hard time staying on top of music that isn't rap or dance music related.

And I was afraid that I am coming off like one of those "rap guys" who, when asked if they like rock or something reply "Yeah. I like Coldplay, John Mayer..." But fuck it, I think this is really good. Dude's lyricism really impressed me.

Seriously, I heard them for the first time yesterday, so yeah I'm late to the party. So I'm still digesting it I guess... But here's 2 joints that I like and seem to be popular.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    For Emma is one of my most played albums of the last few years. That and Superwolf are still my high bar setters when it comes to that kind of folk sound.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    ??? bon iver is the artist alter-ego of justin vernon

bon iver isn't a band, it's one guy

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    These guys are pretty incredible...

Wolves

• TLinTLin 18 Posts
    Bon Iver IS a dude....

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Indeed, dude is dude. I would be so bold to say that I ride for everything he's done so far, including the latest Canadian number. Love that he comes from this ruralish Wisconsin vibe (and that he still lives there?). Also, decent guy to watch on Twitter -- few posts here and there but doesn't blow up the spot with a bunch of foolishness like a lot of other musicians. Really excited to see what he comes with in the months and years to come. Got that nice, stripped-down folk sound on one hand and some big, modern pop with Kanye on the other.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    New album is pretty phenomenal.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The first time I heard him was on the Pandemonium Jones (sry don't remember your strut name) Splendid Moments mix - which I played to death & it still gets bumped, ty.

It has this version of Still on it by Volcano Choir, which is Justin Vernon (of Bon Iver) and Collections of Colonies of Bees. They only put out one lp which is basically Bon Ivor done in a post-rock fashion.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    Blood Bank would be my favorite song by him if it weren't for this song being my favorite song by him:

Also, the intro drums on the Myspace Transmissions version of "For Emma" are a favorite. You can hear it on the start of my one track compilation here:
    http://www.divshare.com/download/10530372-97c

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Rick Ross on Justin Vernon:

???He???s a fucking genius,??? Ross says. ???I???d never seen nor heard of him in my life, and I looked up, and I was in a fucking 5-by-5 room with a white guy, smoking weed . . . and his voice is like something I???ve never heard, and he???s using words that are far from common. Within 20 minutes, I realized why Kanye had him there.???

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    bump.....new album? halfway through now. my dog isnt feelin it. im digging it though

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Saw this dude on Fallon a few weeks ago. My girlfriend and I both thought it was a joke performance. Barkley-style turrible.

No ride.