Sonoton warning.........!!!

MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
We've been selling records both in our store & on E-bay for more than 10 years now & got this e-mail the other day:

Your offer includes SONOTON LPs or CDs. May we inform you that you are not entitled to sell SONOTON LPs. They belong to Sonoton and are not for sale.
Please remove your offer at once from the site or we will contact eBay with "Notice of Infringement".

Sonoton LPs and CDs are produced for professional use and belong to Sonoton or its agents. You may not have been aware of this fact and we therefore kindly ask you to remove your offer and refrain from selling Sonoton LPs and CDs in the future.

Kind regards
SONOTON Music
GmbH & Co. KG

Do we have to take this serious? Really ?
These records are over 30 years old & it's not a big business like fake Gucci watches & stuff....
Did anyone here get a simular mail?

Erwin (Demonfuzz Records, Rotterdam)

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    This has happened to other sellers in the past with libraries on ebay. I've never heard of it going any further than ebay taking down lsitings. Seems to be fairly sporadic though.

• Got exactly the same letter years ago when i had 15 sonotons up on ebay just ignored it and sold them anyway. Fuck them..
    Sonoton had some dope covers

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    They'd have a hard time coming at you for reselling 2nd hand records no ?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    They'd have a hard time coming at you for reselling 2nd hand records no ?
    They're not second hand records though. They are Library records.
    They were never meant to be for sale to the general public. The music contained on those records is the catalogue of Sonoton Library, that they are still selling as part of a royalty free music service. The same goes for all library records.

Getting stuff pulled from Ebay is nothing new. It's why people stated listing things with goofy titles like KayPeeEmm Funky/Breaks/Library.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I've been busted twice trying to sell Razormaid albums on ebay.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    don't risk it sonoton!
    b/w
    this is wack on many levels

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Paging Sonothan.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    They can get them pulled, but that's all they can do.

The legal argument that they still 'own' the Lps wouldn't hold up in court and they know it.

• i got the same message from them a few years ago...just change the title and all references to sonotone and sell them as secret nazi kraut breaks

• dopeshit said:
    i got the same message from them a few years ago...just change the title and all references to sonotone and sell them as secret nazi kraut breaks

LOL !!!

• Many thanks you guys !!!
    I just changed the word 'Sonoton" in all the titles & item descriptions just to make sure
    because E-bay is definitely not choosing the side of the seller these last couple of years...

• A SONOTON UNIQUE