2»

Comments

• Thanks. mah dude.

• -edit-

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Musica - How was your trip to LA?

:necessary:

A great 3 days with the lady. The food was definitely the highlight of the trip (shit is OUT OF CONTROL). Love the feeling in the air in LA, though. A magical place, but one that I can only visit for a few days at a time. Shouts to O-Dub and Woimash for the great infos.

FUNKY SOLE:

It was kind of boring for the most part, with dudes rehashing funk terds popular in the early oughts, then Miles gets on and plays a vicious set of Latin Funk. I can't front, dude really knows his shit.

FAIRFAX:

3RD AVE:

:balla:

K-TOWN EATS (courtesy O-Deezy):

SANTA MONICA SUNSET STYLEEE:

LACMA:

Pan-Afrikan Arkestra doing their thing. They played this one eastern spiritual jazz tune that melted my face off. Amazing musicians.

HUNGOVER MUSICA w/ MATISSE:

:feelin_it: (But 3 days was plenty, IMO!)

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    LA FOOD REPORT:

SAT

Lunch: Taqueria Super Rica en Santa Barbara (N Milpas St). My favorite taqueria in CA, hands down. Get the Rajas or Calabasitas.

Dinner: Sasabune on Wilshire, got the pre-fix chef's menu with 8 dishes of super fresh nigiri and sashimi. O-Toro and Albacore were :face_melt:
    Hella pricey, though. $160 for two with drinks and tip.

SUN:
    Breakfast: Bloody Maria's and fruit salad at Tart (hotel restaurant of the Farmer's Daughter)

Lunch: The Corner Place in K-Town. Really top notch Korean BBQ. The meat was so perfectly marinated I didn't want to add any condiments to it. Starting off with the cold noodles hit the spot on the hot afternoon.

Dinner: Los Balcones on Vine St in Hollywood. BANGIN Peruvian cuisine. Had two ceviches for an appetizer, then had a spicy seafood caldo. $50 with drinks and tip, this place is an outstanding value.

MONDAY:
    Lunch: Chisu Salt Ramen @ Santouku. No words, just pure :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    A great 3 days with the lady. The food was definitely the highlight of the trip (shit is OUT OF CONTROL). Love the feeling in the air in LA, though. A magical place, but one that I can only visit for a few days at a time.

I was just out there myself over the Christmas break with a girlfriend who lives there. L.A. in December is equivalent to Chicago in May - still a bit of a chill, but the promise of summer is in the air. Definitely a magical place for me, though I agree about the "few days at a time" thing (I was there for five days, myself). Highlights included seeing Dr. Geek (the Blublocker Hiphopper) rapping in front of Grauman's Chinese Theater, getting a tour of L.A. rock & soul landmarks with my friends Domenic & Art (ORIGINAL SOUND RECORDS!! HOME OF THE MUSIC MACHINE & DYKE & THE BLAZERS, STILL STANDING ON SUNSET BOULEVARD!!), working on a big-ass burrito in East L.A. (didn't finish it, as good as it was - the remains wound up in my girl's refrigerator), visiting Watts Towers, and seeing this place across the street from Canter's Deli:

FAIRFAX:

I remember being slightly disappointed that it was an unremarkable comic/fanzine shop that had a small box of indie-rock vinyl, but oh, that sign!!! That's another thing I like about L.A., that the old vintage signs from times gone by are still around...not like in Chicago, where some nerd always has to "update" a sign that shows its' age...