L.A. STRUT

discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
What up LA folks? Shooting down there this weekend to live it up a little bit with my lady.

Need a good recommendation on an area to stay in the city that would be be conducive to the least driving around as possible: easy access to good food, bars, museums, etc. Is this even possible? Good Hotels for ~ $100 a nite?

If anyone has a gig that I should roll out to, please post the info.... Saturday nite we goin all out.

I never get down there so this should be fun.

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    OK, pulled some food-spot gems out of this thread from a while back.

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/61945/P0/

What hood would y'all recommend for a "home-base" to stay at?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    musica said:

Need a good recommendation on an area to stay in the city that would be be conducive to the least driving around as possible: easy access to good food, bars, museums, etc. Is this even possible?

No such place! LOL!!!!! Every time I have stayed in L.A. I always had to rent a car to be able to get around to all the events and places I wanted to see. Remember that there is no subway system and everything is spread out all over the place. L.A. is like any other big city so nice hotels will be expensive. I would get on priceline and try to get a good deal on a nice hotel.

Big_Chan said:
    No such place! LOL!!!!! Every time I have stayed in L.A. I always had to rent a car to be able to get around to all the events and places I wanted to see. Remember that there is no subway system and everything is spread out all over the place. L.A. is like any other big city so nice hotels will be expensive. I would get on priceline and try to get a good deal on a nice hotel.

I got a car and fully expect to have to drive a lil. Just hoping to minimize all that AMAP. Thinking Santa Monica right now.

• -edit-

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    musica said:

What hood would y'all recommend for a "home-base" to stay at?

Hollyhood

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Woah...

1) You pretty much 100% need a car. Glad to see you've got one lined up, as you're playing yourself if you don't have one.
    2) Downtown is NOT central. Downtown is really just getting on the map as being a place where folks are moving to, deciding to live. You def want to try and be west of there. Hollywood / West Hollywood / Fairfax district is def where you want to be. It's easier.

Now as far as hotels go, I don't really know about under a $100/night. I'm sure you can find some decent deals at kayak.com, but to keep it under $100 incl tax you might have to stay outside the city, unless you can find a motel somewhere in Hollywood, etc (def recommend not doing that).

The Farmer's Daughter on Fairfax I know has pretty good deals, and that's very centrally located.

Far as restaurants go -- Nozawa, Apple Pan, Umami Burger (at least folks tell me).....there are really a lot of great places.

Woimsah said:

The Farmer's Daughter on Fairfax I know has pretty good deals, and that's very centrally located.

Word up, thanks. About to cop a room there!

• -edit-

TheKindCromang said:

Downtown is not central?

Did you just move to LA recently??? Downtown is central if you want to get all the experiences of the surrounding areas of Los Angeles, eg doing everything from gooing to the Santa Monica Pier/Venice/PCH one day and going to Knott's Berry Farm or some shit the next. I have a feeling, though, that that's not the case for musica, or anyone in their right mind, for that matter.

For someone coming from out of town, downtown is definitely not where you'd want to stay. Shit is still being built up and it's a ghost town at night. Downtown can get the bozack, frankly.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm not sure how one can even define a "central" to LA since you'd first have to agree on what the borders first.

I think downtown is totally central is you're including the eastside in the mix; Fairfax ain't fucking central to Alhambra or San Gabriel!

However, if the furthest east you plan on going is downtown itself, then Fairfax or Culver City would be what I'd consider more "central" (unless of course, you plan on spending time in the Valley or Hollywood, in which case, maybe Wilshire is more central.

It really comes down to what Adam wants to do in LA. Looks like he's already booked so it's too late but I would have suggested he find a place close to a Metro station. It may not cross the town perfectly, but you can get to decent parts of town for food and nightlife via it.

Holler with what kind of food you're looking for you and the lady.

BTW, I just realized...Woimsah: you booked him into arguably the LEAST freeway accessible spot in all of mid-city! I think Culver would have been the far better way to go. Good restaurants, a bunch of solid movie theaters near by and you're right by the 10 and 405 in case you actually DO want to drive.

I mean, like the Farmer's Market as much as the next guy but...

In any case, if Adam and co. want to ball out on a really great meal, do A.O.C. It is literally around the corner from the hotel. I'd also be tempted to hit up Animal, which is up the block on Fairfax (2-3 blocks, tops?)

Unfortunately, for good cheaper eats, I don't think you're in a great part of town. Little Ethopia is relatively close (south on Fairfax) though the best Ethiopian I've had is actually on Pico (called Awash. Get the beef ribs). Other than that though, there's no good Asian or Mexican food in that area, at least none that come to mind.

• -edit-

I actually need to talk to the lady before booking so I'll still listen to suggestions. Thanks, O.

• Take the Metro - No DUIs

musica said:
    I actually need to talk to the lady before booking so I'll still listen to suggestions. Thanks, O.

Farmers daughter does look awesome though, and I can already tell the girl will approve.

What is the GOAT sushi spot? Thats firmly on the agenda

mannybolone said:
    BTW, I just realized...Woimsah: you booked him into arguably the LEAST freeway accessible spot in all of mid-city! I think Culver would have been the far better way to go. Good restaurants, a bunch of solid movie theaters near by and you're right by the 10 and 405 in case you actually DO want to drive.

I mean, like the Farmer's Market as much as the next guy but...

In any case, if Adam and co. want to ball out on a really great meal, do A.O.C. It is literally around the corner from the hotel. I'd also be tempted to hit up Animal, which is up the block on Fairfax (2-3 blocks, tops?)

Unfortunately, for good cheaper eats, I don't think you're in a great part of town. Little Ethopia is relatively close (south on Fairfax) though the best Ethiopian I've had is actually on Pico (called Awash. Get the beef ribs). Other than that though, there's no good Asian or Mexican food in that area, at least none that come to mind.

Manny - I like ya, but you're wilding. He's 10 mins, if that, from the 101 or the 10, either north or south of him. A.O.C. done fell off years ago -- if you want tapas, do Cobras and Matadors on Beverly (a 7 min walk from his hotel) for 1/2 the price and waaaaay better food. As far as cheap eats goes --- dude....Joan's On Third, not to mention all the spots in Farmer's Market directly across the street from his hotel (which should be the ONLY reason anyone goes there, btw), Umami Burger, Larchmont Wine and Cheese, all the spots on La Brea, the burger spot on Fairfax - the list goes on and on.

If he wants to go to the valley, he shoots up Fairfax and goes to the 101 or takes Laurel Canyon over, which is nice for people from out of town. If he wants to go to Silver Lake, he takes Sunset. The location, for a visitor visiting LA couldn't be more ideal.

Freeways in LA are for people going longer distances, for the most part. If he were to have stayed downtown, then all he'd be doing is taking freeways, which sucks... It's nice for visitors to actually see LA.

musica said:
    What is the GOAT sushi spot? Thats firmly on the agenda

http://www.sushinozawa.com/

done.

EDIT -- it's only open during the week, fyi.

Maybe I'm just biased; I'm just not that big a fan of mid-city. It's not my least favorite part of LA but since moving from Rancho Park, i never find much of a reason to roll there besides LACMA and K-Town.

And you tripping about AOC. I've never had a bad meal there. Never got around to trying C&M; my friends who've tried both always preferred AOC.

And 10 min from 3rd and Fairfax to the 101? Please be serious. He can make the 10 in 10 but then he'd still be in mid-city. Farmer's daughters is a cute spot though; I can't front there. On the downside, being that close to the Grove = bleah.

Sushi-wise, I won't argue with Woimssh's call but if you want something slightly more affordable, my wife and I always liked Sushi Sasabune and Kiriko (both are off Sawtelle).

And dude: Farmer's Market is a whole lotta fail. How often do you, as a local, actually eat there?

And all the other "cheap" spots you mentioned are pretty much just variations on American fare. Coming to LA and missing out on non-American food is kind of missing the culinary point of the city.

• If you're into disco/boogie we're doing a little party on Friday night.

@ Barcade
    369 N. Western
    Los Angeles, CA (Loreatown)

Tom Noble (Lotusland, Superior Elevation)
    Zernell (Grimy Edits)
    Rick Wren (The Feel Up)

Special Live Performance by CARMEN
    Yeah, that Carmen...

No Cover.

mannybolone said:
    Maybe I'm just biased; I'm just not that big a fan of mid-city. It's not my least favorite part of LA but since moving from Rancho Park, i never find much of a reason to roll there besides LACMA and K-Town.

And you tripping about AOC. I've never had a bad meal there. Never got around to trying C&M; my friends who've tried both always preferred AOC.

And 10 min from 3rd and Fairfax to the 101? Please be serious. He can make the 10 in 10 but then he'd still be in mid-city. Farmer's daughters is a cute spot though; I can't front there. On the downside, being that close to the Grove = bleah.

Sushi-wise, I won't argue with Woimssh's call but if you want something slightly more affordable, my wife and I always liked Sushi Sasabune and Kiriko (both are off Sawtelle).

Understood about the cheap eats --- see what you mean as far as it being basic american fare.

Lotteria in the Farmer's Market ain't bad at all for Mexican. There's a good brunch spot in there to boot, and the Brazilian place ain't half bad either. The pizza and donuts are sorta/kinda legendary LA spots to boot.

I thought Sasabune closed down --- the one on Sawtelle. That place is indeed very good, best on the west side. Even recall the albacore there being as good if not better than Nozawa's.

You can do Nozawa for a decent price, btw. Just cut dude off after four or five and don't drank.

But to close, my dude, if you can't make it to the 101 in 10 mins or under from Beverly and Fairfax, you soft.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    For the early 80''s Funk aka Boogie Funk = FUNKMOSPHERE every monday at Carbon Bar in Culver City. Or, Funk 45's at Funky Soul - every Sat. night at the Echoplex.
    I agree about the center of L.A. being Fairfax/ La Cienega. If you stay in Santa Monica you'll most likely be stuck there. Which is cool if you only want a coast side to l.a. For food, that depends on the investment. L.A. has blown up w/interesting food culture as of late. Look online to figure out what you might be interested in. Downtown has the Lazy Ox 241 S. San Pedro St. : L.A., CA 90012 .... Central L.A. has Osteria Mozza 6602 Melrose Ave Los Angeles, CA 90038. West L.A. has Gjelena 1429 Abbot Kinney Blvd CA 90291... All these places most likely need reservations but, you can probably sit at the bar if you get there early in the night.

I don't think Musica's gonna be here through Monday. Funky Soul is a good call for Sat night; always a pretty fun party.

I'd cosign on Lazy Ox but that'd involve driving to Little Tokyo and if it's for dinner, we're talking about potential traffic issues coming from mid-city. Do get the poblano pepper soup w/ fried pork belly. AWESOME.

I enjoyed the hell out of one or two dishes at Osteria Mozza but it didn't quite hit it out of the park overall. A safer bet (and cheaper) is Pizzeria Mozza next door. Reservations might be a bitch at this point but it's pretty decent.

Sasabune moved from Sawtelle to Wilshire: http://www.yelp.com/biz/sushi-sasabune-west-los-angeles

I've never tried Nozawa (though have heard good things about it but what's the point in a omakaze if you're going to cut 'em off at 4-5 items? If it's good, it's worth balling for, either way. The main advantage to Sasabune is that their omakaze is really well priced; less than $50 per person if I recall. Watch out for the monk fish liver though; heavy.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    If LA has no subway, what was that underground rapid transit thing I was on with all the dudes looking like junkie Chuck Norris? It was like Mulletfest '89 down there.

mannybolone said:
    I don't think Musica's gonna be here through Monday. Funky Soul is a good call for Sat night; always a pretty fun party.

I'll be there through Monday afternoon.

Lookin like Sasabune for dinner Sat nite and then Funky Soul later on. Man, this is gonna be sick! Thanks for all the info, dudes.

And, a deluxe roomed finally copped at the Farmer's Daughter. I am a maniac behind the wheel so getting from A to B (even in LA) ain't no thang.

LACMA is free on Monday and there will be a live performance with the Pan Afrikan People's Arkestra.

• Fairfax is a great jump off place. Don't hate lol.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    musica said:

LACMA is free on Monday and there will be a live performance with the Pan Afrikan People's Arkestra.

I just got an email about that one. I have the day off, too, so I'll probably see you there.

• Electrode said:
    musica said:

I just got an email about that one. I have the day off, too, so I'll probably see you there.

That sounds nice. I'm taking the lady to that one for a beer. What time do they play?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    street_muzik said:
    Electrode said:
    musica said:

That sounds nice. I'm taking the lady to that one for a beer. What time do they play?

According to this (http://www.lacma.org/programs/FamilyDaysIntro.aspx), 12:30 and 2:45PM